East Fork of the Carson River

slash2

Camped two nights on the East Fork of the Carson river last week, one night at the hot springs and one night further down river. I won't bother with pictures considering the wind had shifted the day I went and blew a lot of wild fire smoke over the Sierra and into Nevada. The aspens on the eastern slope were in full glory though, even through the haze.

This was my first trip out since Covid and I was bit apprehensive about what I might find considering some of the stories I've heard about inconsiderate crowds, however I was very pleasantly surprised at how clean the camping area around the hots springs was. It's a weekend party spot and has often been trashed out when I've visited.

Someone, or group, had clearly been there recently and spruced the place up, repairing, cleaning and even adding to the soaking pools and thoroughly policing the entire area for trash. Thank you!

Had the whole place to ourselves the entire time, but given the nature of the road in and being mid-week we got lucky.

This is beautiful, secluded little valley to visit, if you can tolerate the miles of rock garden and the deeply rutted steep descent down to the river. 4 lo range 1st & 2nd almost the entire time.

/2

Good to hear its been cleaned up. Sounds like the road has deteriorated since the last time I was in there.

Glad to hear of some respectful spring locations! We just returned from Sonora Pass area and were blessed with smoke free conditions, and ongoing fall colors.

It is a rough ride in, and fording the river to the hot springs should obviously only be done when the water level is low, but I've heard the fishing is great!

Back
Top Bottom