East Side / Death Valley

We had the time to travel up Steel Pass to check out a canyon Gene had told us about . . .

On the way I heard a big pop!. I went out and personally hugged each tire, listening for a telltale hissssss. But each was fine (BTW: 26k miles on my BFG's).

So what was that sound? My airbag had popped on the drivers side! I kick myself for not doing a post arrival inspection under the vehicle. Next time, I throw a thermarest on the ground and take a nice look around!

Post analysis: I think the lower mount had jumped forward, sliding along the leaf spring when we crossed a steep rut on South Pass. I had heard a clunk, but saw nothing obvious doing a quick road check. Full disclosure: we were packed to the gills for a week's outing and had a jack, 5 gal. gas and two bikes hanging off the back. :oops: I had been experimenting with air pressure and had leveled the truck with 90# in the bags. In retrospect I would go back to 65# which has worked well in the past.

I pulled off the tire to inspect the damage. I use lengths of thick plywood to level the camper so they make great footings for jacks, especially in sand/mud/snow. I lifted the axle with a 5 ton bottle jack and pulled the wheel. My custom mount (kudos to Camelracer) hi-lift jack made a quick way to lift the body and stretch the suspension so I could amputate the blown airbag. Total repair time: ~45 mins. Note to self: inspect undercarriage after arriving over rough terrain. Fortunately, we were able to limp home via N. Pass later in the trip without further incident. [epilogue: Firestone sells one replacement bag at a time for $122, so I'm going cheap and fast and sticking a new one back in]

We had lost some time, but were still able to explore into the Saline Range to seek petroglyphs:

The rock is oddly white, called pozollan, a form of volcanic tuff.

Dragonfly

She-fly

Dakine ad

We're not sure if the 'phoenix' is authentic, but saw them in several places.

Callie had fun bouncing around. She even cleared a 10' fall with little assistance.

There were a number of 'birthing' petroglyphs at the mouth of the canyon.

turtle?

We passed this basalt chock stone via a left branch to access the upper narrows.

Amazing multi-ton boulder awaiting the final straw.
We tip-toed around then on the way down I gave it a shove after SR & Callie were clear. :eek:
Nothing budged.

Evening light

Heading back down the fan to the truck

one more chapter to go . . .

All the wonderful TR's from other members have been inspiring me to share some of our recent travels. I've been too busy to write much, so maybe I'll do my best to tell a story with photos and limit the words to the essential.

We delayed our departure due to 50mph winds and 200 miles of blizzard conditions.
The next day rolling through Kings Beach, it was a fantastic day. Timing is everything. ;)

Loved the photos of Bridgeport, my Brother own the Ruby Inn across the street from the court house. I have sat in the hot springs many times in winter. Nice until you have to get out. We will be heading to Yellowstone in the fall to photograph wildlife. Our Hawk has really aided me in getting to where the wildlife are and sure beats a tent. I love to photograph wildlife in their habitat and not in a wildlife park. Harder but more satisfying.

Loved your photos of Bridgeport CA, I have family there and hunt and fish there as often as I can. I have spent many hours in the hot springs in winter. Great until lyou have to get out and run to the truck.. We are making plans for Yellowstone this fall to photograph wildlife. Probably spend a couple of weeks in the area. Hoping to photograph some grizzleys if I can get within a 600mm lens range. We love our Hawk camper which we picked up used last year in nearly new condition. It gets me into great wildlife country and I do not have to mess with backpack tent or motels and can stay on location longer.
CD Noble
Wildlife and Landscape Photography

Are those petros up around Steel Pass? I'm having a hard time picturing the white rocks in that area but do recognize the older sedementary looking stuff.

What lens are you using in the zoomed/cropped photo of the Inyos at sunrise? Very cool. They are one of my favorite ranges in the area.

Hopefully heading up to SV this coming weekend.

Are those petros up around Steel Pass? I'm having a hard time picturing the white rocks in that area but do recognize the older sedementary looking stuff.

Look around next time you go over Steele Pass. The pozzolan formation is in the Saline Range, and is visible from the road. We've also hiked slot canyons near the summit of Steele, visiting petros in the Last Chance Range, which was granitic.

What lens are you using in the zoomed/cropped photo of the Inyos at sunrise? Very cool. They are one of my favorite ranges in the area.

You can get details on most of my shots when you click on the image. It will take you to my Smugmug site, lighthawkphoto.com where you can click to see details:

Date Taken: 2012-12-26 08:03:58
Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure Time: 0.0166s (1/60)
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 121mm (193.6mm in 35mm)

It doesn't say which lens, just FL. I was using 70-200 f4is

Glad you enjoyed the view!

Probably spend a couple of weeks in the area. Hoping to photograph some grizzleys if I can get within a 600mm lens range.
CD Noble
Wildlife and Landscape Photography

Uh oh . . . focal length envy :eek:

Seriously, is this one of the new Canon 600mm?
I use a 400 5.6 for birding with my 7D, mostly handheld.

Look around next time you go over Steele Pass. The pozzolan formation is in the Saline Range, and is visible from the road. We've also hiked slot canyons near the summit of Steele, visiting petros in the Last Chance Range, which was granitic.

You can get details on most of my shots when you click on the image. It will take you to my Smugmug site, lighthawkphoto.com where you can click to see details:

It doesn't say which lens, just FL. I was using 70-200 f4is

Glad you enjoyed the view!

Thanks for the info. Weather stopped my trip this weekend. It was looking too cold and windy. Not great fun with the "W" factor.

Is that image cropped? I have a 70-200 f2.8is but rarely take it out as the 24-70 gets far more use. Can't imagine getting in that close to the Inyos photographically with the tele.

Side note for the lens topic- I also have a Sigma 150-500 which gets even less use than the 70-200 but is a great alternative to Canon L glass.

I just checked, and that is an uncropped view at 121mm, taken from the middle spring vicinity.
The 2.8 version is nice, but I prefer the f4 size for hiking.
I haven't tried the Sigma zoom, but use an older 12-24 for interiors.

Too bad the weather was not cooperative. Someday I want to spend the night up top of Steele Pass.

I just checked, and that is an uncropped view at 121mm, taken from the middle spring vicinity.
The 2.8 version is nice, but I prefer the f4 size for hiking.
I haven't tried the Sigma zoom, but use an older 12-24 for interiors.

Too bad the weather was not cooperative. Someday I want to spend the night up top of Steele Pass.

There is some nice hiking up there...my friend found the real marble bath...not the one with marbles...something much different.

There is some nice hiking up there...my friend found the real marble bath...not the one with marbles...something much different.

Now that is interesting! We only found the one with marbles and rubber duckies :D
Of course, Sunni had to jump right in! :p
gallery_2472_269_483697.jpg

Andy,

Always fantastic pictures Thanks! I think I'm going to squeeze in a Saline trip with my son before we go to Baja in 4 weeks. Hey! Join us for Baja!

Gene

Back
Top Bottom