East to West

Matt_F

Traveling from Maryland to California, Oregon, Washington, possibly visiting a friend in Montana as well as some more states with my dog in a few days. Any tips, advice, places to camp, hike, check out would be awesome! I have a mini wood stove in the back of my truck that run out the side window so i'm not worried about the cold

Thanks!

There are lots of places to suggest but this time of the year we are having a lot of rain/snow.
The desert spots would be good this time of year. The temps aren't hot and fewer people.Death Valley is always a great spot.
The northern tier of Yellowstone is open year round but might be problematic to get there.
The campground at Mammoth Springs is open,you would have to get there through the Gardner entrance.
The coastal spots of Ca. Or.Wa. have been hit pretty hard with the latest storms so check about open camps.
Make sure you have tire chains some states require them even with 4x4.
Frank

Right on thanks! Chains are the only thing I don't have, I have no experience with them, I'll probably end up buying some on the road

Matt_F said:
Right on thanks! Chains are the only thing I don't have, I have no experience with them, I'll probably end up buying some on the road
Matt, my recommendation is to buy them at home, and learn how to put them on before needing them. If chains are required, and you don't have them on, you can be ticketed if you're caught driving. If you're involved in an accident, it goes down hill in a hurry.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Matt, my recommendation is to buy them at home, and learn how to put them on before needing them. If chains are required, and you don't have them on, you can be ticketed if you're caught driving. If you're involved in an accident, it goes down hill in a hurry.
Good call, I guess i'll get on that. Better safe than sorry

Hi Matt

Where are you in Maryland ?...our home state for a while....Beltsville.

We moved to Oregon in 99 and have made the crossing many many many times.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider crossing the upper midwest at this time of year unless you only need to get somewhere.

There are so very many places you will miss.

There is so much potential of being tied to the Interstate and unending drudgery of endless truckstops....waking up at 14 degrees inside our van comes to mind.

Even crossing the southern tier of states is going to subject you to some high elevations and potential mighty rough weather.

Of course you may be seeking that sort of thing.

Travel safe.

DavidGraves

north Oregon coast

The Palouse in Washington should be really pretty if they have some snow on the ground. If you are going to travel the coast I like it better going north to south since all the pullouts are on the right. CA and OR have some really nice state parks as well.

DavidGraves said:
Hi Matt

Where are you in Maryland ?...our home state for a while....Beltsville.

We moved to Oregon in 99 and have made the crossing many many many times.

I would strongly advise you to reconsider crossing the upper midwest at this time of year unless you only need to get somewhere.

There are so very many places you will miss.

There is so much potential of being tied to the Interstate and unending drudgery of endless truckstops....waking up at 14 degrees inside our van comes to mind.

Even crossing the southern tier of states is going to subject you to some high elevations and potential mighty rough weather.

Of course you may be seeking that sort of thing.

Travel safe.

DavidGraves

north Oregon coast
I'm in the Ocean City area, I loved Oregon when I visited a couple years ago. Thanks for the advice! I love some wild weather conditions though haha

Stalking Light said:
The Palouse in Washington should be really pretty if they have some snow on the ground. If you are going to travel the coast I like it better going north to south since all the pullouts are on the right. CA and OR have some really nice state parks as well.
Thanks! The plan is go south then up through central California, Oregon, Washington then jet over to Montana to see a friend then head back west to the Washington coast and drive that all the way down to San Diego

Stalking Light said:
Right now there is lots of snow on the Palouse! Palouse Falls has had people ice climbing next to it, some of the roads have been drifted closed with 4-6' drifts taking county crews days to get reopened. Of course that all could change in the next week as the highs might start breaking 40 and some rains arrive.

Cayuse said:
Right now there is lots of snow on the Palouse! Palouse Falls has had people ice climbing next to it, some of the roads have been drifted closed with 4-6' drifts taking county crews days to get reopened. Of course that all could change in the next week as the highs might start breaking 40 and some rains arrive.
I bet the drive up Steptoe is fun. ;) Must be an amazing sight from there, though.

Stalking Light said:
I bet the drive up Steptoe is fun. ;) Must be an amazing sight from there, though.
Not sure the road is open right now. This is just a little ways north of there
15995032_10212027683674221_7527080009259071348_o.jpg

Matt_F said:
Just a thought. Get them at a auto parts store like O'Reilly auto parts.
You don't want to have to buy them at the chain installer stops. Get some to fit your truck and just stash them in one of the turnbuckle holes,out of the way but handy if needed.
Frank

I'm partial to the desert. The Alvord Desert & Steens Mountains in SE Oregon are quiet and amazing. If you come in late spring the Malheur Wildlife Refuge will come to life with birds. I suggest purchasing the Benchmark map books for each state you want to visit out West. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom