Eastern California's Highway 120 - Labor Day Weekend

Super. I loved the Kuna glacier report. It was one of my first xc Sierra trips decades ago.
Then the story and documentation of the B-24 crash site was outstanding.
There's a book percolating inside there, Mr. Ski . . .

So you all found it! I can imagine how coming upon that site would be humbling.

I don't think I'd have attempted that area on a Labor Day weekend, so I was glad to hear you all beat/avoided the crowds.

Finally, your dad was a wise man with his advice on finding a girl who likes maps!!!

Did you use your ice axes or put on your crampons?

Like most glaciers in the American West, this one, as the historical photos clearly show, is on its way out. Soon there will only be more moraine marking the spot of what used to be Kuna Glacier.

Thanks for the vicarious adventure, Mr and Mrs 3pin!

Doug Stewart said:
Did you use your ice axes or put on your crampons?
Yup, made the steep snowfield climb possible. And, as you know, snow can be a lot easier than loose miserable rock so use it when you can. :)

I put the camera in the pack for the climb so sorry, no photos.

The glacier where the debris is emerging was covered with grit and gravel so we where able to move around with boots - but very carefully. Wet ice is slick. The channels that melt water is carving on the surface was so interesting. I wish I could have spent all day just poking around and listening to the glacier talk. Rock fall from above on the right and left sides of the glacier was constant; a sound that always gets your attention in the mountains.

Everyone, thanks for the very nice comments. We really appreciate them. I won't be able to get Part Two up until next week but please stay tuned, we had a great little surprise on Monday, Labor Day. :)

What a neat trip and finding the B-24 wreckage is very special. I can only imagine what goes through each persons mind standing there and seeing the wreckage and paying homage to those seven souls. Thanks Ski for another great TR and taking us along. jd

I enjoyed your report and photos. It is fun to see how you set out an objective and then work to achieve it (or not). I can imagine the background research that goes into planning these adventures- probably half the fun. Thanks for sharing your trips.

Awesome find of the grotto in Part 2. I'm curious, did you see any recent footprints or evidence of visitors to that site or is it so well hidden that it doesn't see much foot traffic?

takesiteasy said:
I enjoyed your report and photos. It is fun to see how you set out an objective and then work to achieve it (or not). I can imagine the background research that goes into planning these adventures- probably half the fun. Thanks for sharing your trips.
The detective work is a large piece of the adventure with the added advantage of keeping us off the streets and out of the bars.

GroovyDad said:
Awesome find of the grotto in Part 2. I'm curious, did you see any recent footprints or evidence of visitors to that site or is it so well hidden that it doesn't see much foot traffic?
Our blog contains the only information we will share about these archeology sites. Sorry Mr. Groovy.

Thanks for sharing another excellent report.
I've read a bit on the grotto and am happy you found it and are keeping it lost. :p

Back
Top Bottom