Eastern Sierra Fall Colors

pvstoy

Went south on US-395 from Carson City, NV to Bishop, CA this past weekend to look at the fall colors. I did see 5 other pop-up campers over the weekend while traveling down the road.

We stopped along the road near Conway summit and had a great view of aspens turning and fresh snow that fell the day before. Then on to Lundy Canyon, June Lake Loop, McGee Creek, and stayed overnight up Bishop Creek below South Lake.

Spent most of the day Sunday around the Bishop Creek area looking and shooting photos of aspens and watching old cars driving the road for a Poker Run.

Most of the places the color is not there as in past years. Between the past two snow storms, the cold and wind many trees are past peak color or frozen, especially at the higher elevations. But still there were areas where the color was wonderful.

Hope you enjoy just a few quick pictures. When the shooting starts it is hard to remember to take some with the camper in the frame.

Attachments

• 071006PP1_038.JPG
    071006PP1_038.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 371
  • 071006PP1_058.JPG
    071006PP1_058.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 071006PP1_091.JPG
    071006PP1_091.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 335
Some More

A few more

Attachments

• 071006PP1_093.JPG
    071006PP1_093.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 071006PP1_109.JPG
    071006PP1_109.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 071006PP1_122.JPG
    071006PP1_122.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 330
Darn, those are nice pics....Thanks for them all!

Gotta love that 395....still one of the best drives around.

Dave

Pics...

Patrick,
OUTSTANDING PICS! Wow...thanks for sharing them and I sure do like your little outfit...standing up there so proud and tough with the lift and big tires...!
Brian

Great photos!

Patrick,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Lots of color! Nice looking rig also. What year is your truck?

Buzz

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. US 395 is a nice drive. So many side trips that are cool.

The Toyota is a 1983 longbed 4x4. Lift is only 1.5 inchs. Tires are 33" x 12.5". Powered by Chevy smallblock 400.

Patrick,

Very nice shots, we were in that same area in mid September last year and really enjoyed it. The colors weren't out at the time but I can see from your pictures how it would have looked.

Great truck and mods. I had an '82 Toyota long bed very similar to yours, though with the stock 4 cylinder engine, for 18 years before I bought the Tacoma. Seeing your truck brings back many great memories of trips in the old Toy. That truck must perform great with the big engine. Thanks for the look.

I still remember my first drive down 395. Had truck with a shell on it. I was early November. I froze. The truck froze. Had to stop and buy antifreeze after it unfroze.

Beautiful drive though. Its going to be a lot nicer with the camper.

awesome, i mean, AWESOME pics! thanks for posting!

oh, and sweet rig!

I still remember my first drive down 395. Had truck with a shell on it. I was early November. I froze. The truck froze. Had to stop and buy antifreeze after it unfroze.

Did you get some antifreeze (Hic...) for yourself to unfreeze?:D

When I lived in Mammoth Lakes I saw alot of frozen engine blocks driving a towtruck.

Gotta love that drive

I love the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains. They're one reason I like desert camping so much - your pictures are outstanding.

BTW, a Chevy 400 in a Toyota with 33" tires and a FWC? Awesome! To think I was happy with my '87 with the 22RE, 31" tires and a simple camper shell.

Patrick,

WOW! I guess we should have gone a little farther up 395.
Great shots! We were not one of the five pop ups you saw. We got up behind Lone Pine last night after Death Valley for two nights..Good trip.I'll try to get a trip report together

Funny on the shots with the rig in them. I get a hard time for taking to many:D

TT

Really good pics. Thanks for sharing. When i see your truck on the road i'll make sure to wave.

395 and more

Those are some awesome pics Patrick! I noticed that you have installed some sort of air dam between the camper and top of your truck. I also have that gap with my rig ( the perils of buying used vs. a custom fit) and am wondering if thats working for the buffeting and gas mileage? It kinda looks like a modified Yakima rack or something????

Whoooweee, those are some nice photos!

I drove 395 last Thanksgiving from Bishop to Lone Pine and I loved the scenery. Those fall colors and sugar frosting on the Sierras is stunning. Very nice work.

And the newer FWC on the old school 'Yota is a really nice looking set up as well.

Thanks all for the kind words....

Those are some awesome pics Patrick! I noticed that you have installed some sort of air dam between the camper and top of your truck. I also have that gap with my rig ( the perils of buying used vs. a custom fit) and am wondering if thats working for the buffeting and gas mileage? It kinda looks like a modified Yakima rack or something????

Hi Mushhuskies,

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307

This is a link to a past post that should explain it for you.

I just bought a sheet of black HDPE, high density polyethylene 6’ x 1’ x 3/16” for $12.06 + tax and will be shipping to a friend to make a faring just the size he needs.

The before and after is amazing. There is hardly any wind noise above the cab. There are no bugs to clean on the back wall. There is no positive pressure blowing in when the back slider is open. Driving into a head wind the cab is a lot less noisy. As far as gas mileage, for my engine???:D

Past Posts

Thanks for the link....I was using different search terms and didnt see this thread. As to the mileage...duh:eek: ...missed the size of the motor. Damn, thats a nice looking toy there! Looks like you've set it up to tackle most anything.

Patrick,

Just reviewed the link you posted on the deflector design, thanks for posting. I'll be building one similar to yours in the future.

Back
Top Bottom