Eastern Sierra Fall Foliage Forecast?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Does anyone know of a site that gives reports or forecasts for fall color in the eastern Sierra, Mono and Inyo counties, CA, mainly?
Or has anyone seen signs with their own eyes or heard reports with their own ears?

I'm planning a trip down there in October...not sure yet which week(s). Last year I was down there the third week of October and the aspens were amazing then...but I know that the timing can vary a bit from year to year, and one week can make the difference between yellow, red, brown, bare.

Thanks. :)

I've decided that whatever the fall-color status, I'm heading out for an eastern-Sierra trip Oct 8 and staying out for a couple of weeks, until Oct 21-ish.
smile.gif

I bet I won't be the only WTWer out there during that time!
biggrin.gif

Mark, Try the Sacramento Bee newspaper web page at sacbee.com and use their search engine for "fall colors" as they usually have several articles every year about where the colors are. I haven't looked yet,
and do plan on heading up to Hope Valley next week. I'll give you a report when I return.

http://www.californiafallcolor.com/ and http://www.monocounty.org/fall-colors/
The Colors are reported to be around 35-50% do to recent cold snap.
Happy leaf peeping.

This my first time posting here on WTW. My wife and I have a 2006 Hawk and enjoy it very much. I wanted to respond to this post do to I just got back from the eastern sierras near Bridgeport. The fall colors are not quite in full form but they are well on their way. The aspen groves on Dunderburg Road, FS road 67,(Lobdell Lake) Masonic Road and Aurora Canyon Road are mostly yellow with some orange. Nevertheless it is beautiful.

Mr. BC, from what we saw in the Bridgeport, Mono Basin, and Hope Valleys areas I'd say 30% of the aspen are changing. There are some groves that are still green and others on their way to yellow and gold. I may be off here, but it looks to me that the leaves that have changed are drying out quickly possibly in response to our dry winter or the last two weeks of hot weather.

A number of photographers that I follow on both Facebook and Google+ are showing some images already with significant color change. Poke around on the web and you should find some recent pix, remember the internet is the source of all knowledge.... :unsure: I think your timing should be just about perfect this year.

Mark,

I've decided to head for the Eastern Sierras on Sunday the 7th. Will be over there for most of the week, weather permitting.
Want to try to get together for a cold one while you're in the area ??

Bob

Mark,

I've decided to head for the Eastern Sierras on Sunday the 7th. Will be over there for most of the week, weather permitting.
Want to try to get together for a cold one while you're in the area ??

Bob

Sure, Bob.
smile.gif

I don't have an itinerary, but I should arrive in the area on the 9th.

The wife and I and kids are headed over that way this weekend. It's going to be a short trip, but I'll post some photos if I get the chance. I've never been to 395 this time of year. Any reason to make reservations at campgrounds or are there plenty of camping places outside of campgrounds?

The wife and I and kids are headed over that way this weekend. It's going to be a short trip, but I'll post some photos if I get the chance. I've never been to 395 this time of year. Any reason to make reservations at campgrounds or are there plenty of camping places outside of campgrounds?

Yes, lots of places to camp outside of campgrounds, in the National Forests or on BLM land. :)

Yep-plenty of places to camp-even some of the "officially " closed FS/BLM cg's are open but without water, and maybe have no tp in the johns! Your worst problems will be snow and black ice later on in Nov/Dec, so make sure you check the local weather conditions before you head out-on the pc or even call the BLM/FS for local road conditions-just be prepared and don't end up stuck in a snow bank with no food or water, no hope and maybe if you are lucky no feet, like the Stoffas' and become a Darwin!

Smoke

:LOL:

Mark, I'm trying to get out by the end of this week, but to the coast to check on Westport Union CG, then out to the desert, keep me posted and maybe I'm see you later on for a quick "hi" somewhere. Got a friend (another retiree) heading to Austin and that country later this month-he's thinking of staying out there for a month or two, and I may try to meet him out there later on. In any event, this weather is to hot for the fall and except for the cold nights and all that blooming rabbit brush, it must be time to head out-just got to finish winterizing the homestead before i go!
Enjoy
:LOL:
Smoke

Mark, I'm trying to get out by the end of this week, but to the coast to check on Westport Union CG, then out to the desert, keep me posted and maybe I'm see you later on for a quick "hi" somewhere. Got a friend (another retiree) heading to Austin and that country later this month-he's thinking of staying out there for a month or two, and I may try to meet him out there later on. In any event, this weather is to hot for the fall and except for the cold nights and all that blooming rabbit brush, it must be time to head out-just got to finish winterizing the homestead before i go!

Smoke, I'll be passing through your fair city (after spending a night with parents in Redding) on the morning of the 10th.
And I'll be on the east side...here and there...somewhere mostly between Bridgeport and Bishop from the 10th to the 20th-ish.

Smoke, I'll be passing through your fair city (after spending a night with parents in Redding) on the morning of the 10th.
And I'll be on the east side...here and there...somewhere mostly between Bridgeport and Bishop from the 10th to the 20th-ish.

Just got back from Monitor Pass/Hope Valley area. Some nice colors but still a lot of green. Another week for this area. Everything I have read says colors are better further south. Hopefully they will hold for a couple more weeks until we can get over there.

Just got back from Monitor Pass/Hope Valley area. Some nice colors but still a lot of green. Another week for this area. Everything I have read says colors are better further south. Hopefully they will hold for a couple more weeks until we can get over there.

Ted-must be time to hit the road, everyone is heading out!

Smoke:LOL:

We just got back from 395 yesterday. Still a lot of green, a lot of yellow, and a little bit of red here and there. Saw some bears.

Here are a few photos from the journey.
This was taken from Bishop Creek area on the winding road to North Lake.

_JAH2147_HDR by delriophoto.com, on Flickr

This one was on the road to Virginia Lakes not too far from Bodie/Bridgeport area.

_JAH2071 by delriophoto.com, on Flickr

My 1 year old at Virginia Lakes area.

_JAH2056 by delriophoto.com, on Flickr

Here's one of my rig nestled among the aspens. Found a nice little 4-wheel drive road off the main road to Virginia Lakes and found a great place to camp for the night.

_JAH2018 by delriophoto.com, on Flickr

Here's a 30-second exposure infrared shot I took in order to hide all the people walking around on the street in Bodie. If you look closely you can still see a few "ghosts". :)

_JAH1935 by delriophoto.com, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom