Eastern Sierra Trip and slideshow

BobM

Eastern Sierra trip September 2015
Here’s a Slideshow
of a recent trip we took to explore the Eastern Sierras up HWY 395. Plan was to visit most the lakes etc. up the 395 and take the Sonora pass to hwy 49, the gold rush area. The fires on the western sierra put a stop to that side so we cut our trip by a few days and went back down the 395.
First stop was the Lone Pine campground at the base of Mt. Whitney, what a view. We then explored the Alabama hills where most westerns were filmed including Django. We also checked out the Western Film museum in Lone pine.
After Breakfast at the Alabama Hills café in Lone Pine, we headed to the Manzanar Japanese internment camp one of the places the U.S. imprisoned Japanese citizens living in California. It’s a sad commentary of that time, made me wonder when Guantanamo Baywas going to become a Natl park. Had lunch at the Copper Top Smokehouse in Big Pine then headed up to the bristlecone forest which was over 10,000 feet. Since it was so hot we stayed at a hotel in Bishop.
The next day we went to the Laws Railroad museum which was very cool, even though it was so hot:>) Then, on the way to Lake Sabrina we stopped at the Bishop Burger Barn, Yum. Lake Sabrina was about 9,000 feet and pretty low because L.A. was siphoning off some of the water:>(
The next day we went to rock Creek Lake which was awesome. It was almost 10,000 feet and had the best homemade pie there. Then headed to Tamarak Lodge at Twin lakes in Mammoth lakes. Too early to check in so we had lunch at the Red’s Meadow Mule café past the Devils postpile. After lunch we hiked down to rainbow falls. Since I just got over a three week battle with Pneumonia, hiking at that altitude was probably a bad idea but I made it.
The next day we checked out all the lakes in mammoth. Checked into the June Lake campground. Did the June lake loop, had lunch at the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. Then checked out the Tufa Natl monument at lake Mono.
Next day we went to the Bodie ghost town then had lunch in Bridgeport at the burger barn. I had a really good Bison burger. At this point we decided to turn around because the haze from the fires was getting worse the farther north we went. Decided to spend one more night in June Lake and luckily got our same campsite.
The next day we took the eastern hwy 120 (beautiful drive) to Benton and stayed at the Benton hot springs campground, Each campsite has it’s own hot tub straight from the spring. We hiked up to the spring and saw where they installed the pipe. Then up the hill to the old graveyard that goes back to the 1800’s. Did I say the sign entering Benton stated pop 13 ½? We had lunch at the only café in Benton which was Indian owned and very good, so much so we had breakfast there the next day.
Then due to the fires we decided to head home.

:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Lighthawk said:
You did great! In a short amount of time you hit many of the classics, and I'm not just talking about food.
x3. Enjoyed your images of your trip and method of stills put to motion.

Yes, very nice slideshow! I like the way you used shots of clouds to break up some of the landscapes. Looks like you had quite a nice trip.

Enjoyed your pictures. Were you up there on Sept 13? I might have seen you camper on a motorcycle ride.

Hi Bill, i was up there then. Just checked mytracks. Thats the day we did June lake, Mono and Lee Vining. We saw a lot of bikes so we probably crossed paths

Attachments

• 1442886650490.jpg
    1442886650490.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 104
I would have chosen better music but I needed something with no copyright protection. Took me less than an hour to do everything, including the written part which I did during the rendering process, gotta love software:)

It was a lot in 8 days and 1200 miles:)

WOW,a great way to post a trip report.
I have made DVDs for ourselves using some nice music and have likes the results.
Nice to see some color coming but not much water over Rainbow falls,and in some of the lakes.
Thanks for taking the time to put together this great report.
Frank

I updated the slideshow with the photos from my wife, who took a lot more:

Thanks. I know it's long but I think it's pretty easy to watch and looks good on a 60" tv:) I put a summary of the trip in the youtube comments section as well as the original post here. Next year I'm going in October to see even more color change.

Back
Top Bottom