Eastern Washington

clikrf8

We just returned from 9 days in Washington's drier half. It has more open space, more backroads, more wildlife and has its own varied landscape. Many abandoned farms, the Channeled Scablands, the Palouse, the Columbia and Snake Rivers, Dry Falls, Palouse Falls, Sun Lakes, etc.

We began in Bellingham, WA taking the very scenic North Cascades Highway 20 over to Winthrop where we stayed at the highly rated Pearrygin Lake State Park campground. From there we ambled over to Republic, chased by trucks carrying quartz and timber staying overnight in the Curlew Lake area where we saw a pair of Sand Hill Cranes. South to Wilbur and Odessa following Hwy 21 to check out an abandoned schoolhouse near Wilbur. We stayed at Keller NRA park on the Columbia River. We then hauled over to near Sprague where we camped at Williams Lake. Too many people as it was close to Spokane but battery still not working properly (will update in a post I started) so had to have 110. Beautiful lake, lots of brown trout caught. We then went on over to visit hubby's cousin in St Maries, ID for the day and night first checking out Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge where we saw a Great Horned Owl, a young moose and several osprey. After our visit, we turned south and west for the Palouse region, topped off by fabulous light atop Steptoe Butte. We stayed overnight at Lyons Landing KOA on the Snake River after checking out Palouse Falls afternoon and the next mornng. The next day we headed towards Sun Lakes and Dry Falls area to camp at the state park there. On the way we found some interesting abandoned farms and yay, puffy clouds. The clouds were gone so lousy photos at the state park so aimed for reflections at Vic Meyer Lake. Our last stop was at Pearrygin Lake State Park at our usual spot number 55. This lake is special to me as my grandparents used to spend a week here camping while fishing for trout. They would smoke them and can them for Christmas presents.

One thing we learned is that we need a bigger, more powerful truck and a bigger camper. So, the hunt is on for a Ford F250 diesel extended cab 4x4. And, a FWC Grandby. We met a couple who had this set up ('09 Ford, 1999 Grandby). With our dog and camera gear, we are loaded down. The 4 cylinders really strained on Hwy 20 and we felt cramped with the dog in bed with us (standard poodle mix). So, the hunt is on. I will post a thread later asking questions about which model year from those of you who have Fords. Or Chevys or Dodge Rams or GMC trucks.

Later, time to get groceries.

Sounds like a great trip. I've been to Eastern Washington one time. I drove south on US 395 from the Canadian boarder. I made a vow to return and explore the area in more detail. It's a part of the U.S. that doesn't get a lot of press but is very beautiful.

I know what you are going through with the four cylinder, I had a Toyota with a four and a manual gear box. If it even thought there was a hill I would be rowing thru the gears. I spent years, and a small fortune, trying to find the right combo of truck and camper. From personal experience I think a diesel truck is the way to go. Especially if you want a little more room. Good luck with your search.

Mike

Come on -- you're a photographer! Let's have something to look at in this trip report.
biggrin.gif

Or maybe because you're a photographer you feel that you have to get the images looking just right before you can show them...I know...I'll try to be patient.
smile.gif

Wow -- very nice, clikrf8...I see you know what you're doing with the camera!

I just-now sent you a PM about WTW's arcane approach to posting images...in case you'd like some help with that.

I will post more at 250k when I get around to post-processing the rest. Right now, it is a rare blue sky day in the PNW and I am going outside all day. Next trip will be back to the Chippewa valley Rock festival where I am the second official photographer: Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Shinedown, Sebastian Bach, etc. Rock Fest Traveling by Amtrak, hate flying.

Hi Judy,
You guys are from Bellingham. Do you know Ross and Candy? Ross died a year ago but they are pretty good friends of mine for years and years from Saline Valley. Being in Bellingham I hope you guys take advantage of BC, Yukon and NWT. Favorites of mine are Bella Coola, Dawson City and the Dempster.
Gene

Hi Judy,
You guys are from Bellingham. Do you know Ross and Candy? Ross died a year ago but they are pretty good friends of mine for years and years from Saline Valley. Being in Bellingham I hope you guys take advantage of BC, Yukon and NWT. Favorites of mine are Bella Coola, Dawson City and the Dempster.
Gene

Hi Gene,
I don't know Ross and Candy. Did they have a FWC or equivalent? What did/do they do? Bellingham has 80k people. A lot of California refugees live here now. I have been to Bella Coola when I went north on a fishing boat about 30+ years ago. Beautiful country. We hope to make it further north to interior BC as the photography possibilities are incredible.
Hope to make it to California, also. Such a big beautiful world; so little time.

Hey Clikrf8,

Really sounds like a nice trip. I have been spending quite a bit of time in Wenatchee and am starting to get the itch to explore this are even more. I may have to recreate part of your trip. I was kinda hoping for a fish report on the St. Joe river since you were so close in St. Maries, probably not enough time though huh?

Nice pics on flicker by the way! Love the old barn shot.

Home Skillet

Back
Top Bottom