Easy Roof Lift Device

Yukon

Homemade roof "assist" device.
Been a long time since I posted work done on my 2008 Eagle shell.

Due to injury to one arm, I was having difficulty lifting my roof despite having exterior roof lift pistons. The problem was getting it up past the initial 12-15 inches where the exterior lifts do little to assist. Bought an air assist speaker stand pole without a base from On-Stage for $50. (model SS7748). Lifts up to 45 lbs. from 36 to 60 inches.

In down position the pole is only about 36 inches so I had to make a wooden extender from a piece of 4X4 and add a flat piece of wood that distributed the push against the cross piece of wood in the ceiling. Turn the little knob and the roof lifts up automatically. Once pretty far up, I can finish the lift using one arm. The bungie cords catch the wood extender piece so it doesn't fall to the floor.

I realize this is pretty fancy just to get that initial lift but I just didn't see an easier way that wasn't to expensive. I hope that when my arm heals that I don't need it any longer.

I still love my Eagle shell which I built out in 2008 (bought directly from Woodland). Great camper!

Chris

Roof Lift3.jpgRoof Lift1.jpgRooft Lift2.jpg

Hope your arm heals up good, but I bet you'll find yourself continuing to use your speaker stand in any event. Over the years this particular lift assist item has been a popular addition to many WTWers' camper-must-haves. Enjoy it mightily, I do.
Rico.

Yukon said:
Homemade roof "assist" device.
Been a long time since I posted work done on my 2008 Eagle shell.

Due to injury to one arm, I was having difficulty lifting my roof despite having exterior roof lift pistons. The problem was getting it up past the initial 12-15 inches where the exterior lifts do little to assist. Bought an air assist speaker stand pole without a base from On-Stage for $50. (model SS7748). Lifts up to 45 lbs. from 36 to 60 inches.

In down position the pole is only about 36 inches so I had to make a wooden extender from a piece of 4X4 and add a flat piece of wood that distributed the push against the cross piece of wood in the ceiling. Turn the little knob and the roof lifts up automatically. Once pretty far up, I can finish the lift using one arm. The bungie cords catch the wood extender piece so it doesn't fall to the floor.

I realize this is pretty fancy just to get that initial lift but I just didn't see an easier way that wasn't to expensive. I hope that when my arm heals that I don't need it any longer.

I still love my Eagle shell which I built out in 2008 (bought directly from Woodland). Great camper!

Chris

attachicon.gif
Roof Lift3.jpg
attachicon.gif
Roof Lift1.jpg
attachicon.gif
Rooft Lift2.jpg
Chris, nice. I think you would find it easier to use if you screwed a block (with a countersunk hole for the lift tube) to the lifting board, and used the extension block on the floor.

Oooooh, I'm going to give this a try. I have Yakima bars and a cargo box on top. Of course, the cargo box is emptied when I lift the camper, but it will be interesting to see if the speaker stand pole can handle the extra weight.
I'll try it and give an update, if anyone is interested.

View attachment 40579

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_134718.jpg
    IMG_20200724_134718.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 97
Hi Folks. Here's an update. I changed the design. Thank-you Free Range Human for your idea to move the extension to the bottom. Great idea! My new design is significantly better and I can lift the top with one finger! (I won't say which one).

I have welding skills. So I built a steel bracket (see photo) and put a wood block in the center. I welded an M20 nut to the bracket which allows the bracket to screw onto the purchased air lift pole. This wood block swivels which is great because the roof changes angles as it goes up.

In the 2nd photo notice that I created the extension out of 1.5 inch PVC. I duct taped the end of the purchased air pole base to make the PVC nice and snug (acts as a sleeve). The photo shows the extension unattached. Notice the 5/8 bolt I put in the PVC extension that keeps the base of the pole from going too far into the extender.
If anyone wants a detailed drawing let me know. The problem for most people will be welding the bracket.
Chris

Attachments

• Lift new1.JPG
    Lift new1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 275
  • Lift News2.JPG
    Lift News2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 231
Another option:
I used a piece of PVC pipe, a PVC inline connector, and end cap to make an extension for my speaker stand:
(Sorry, I never think about photos until I'm done with a project, so its painted black)
jack.jpg
And use a shower curtain rod wall mount to locate the jack in the ceiling:
socket.jpg

If you want to get really lazy, you can also use a linear actuator in place of the speaker lift so you really can use your pinky finger for push button roof lifitng.

You need a 30" linear actuator a reversing switch and a power cord. With a fleet flatbed, I didn't even need any sort of bracket or extender, it works as is with some rubber chair leg bumpers on the ends of the actuator. For other models, you may need the 40" actuator.

rando said:
If you want to get really lazy, you can also use a linear actuator in place of the speaker lift so you really can use your pinky finger for push button roof lifitng.

You need a 30" linear actuator a reversing switch and a power cord. With a fleet flatbed, I didn't even need any sort of bracket or extender, it works as is with some rubber chair leg bumpers on the ends of the actuator. For other models, you may need the 40" actuator.
Thanks Rando. Do you have a pic of this set up?

Kim

This is not a great photo, but shows how it goes together. It is basically a pole with a switch, plug it into the 12V outlet, put it under the lift panel and press the up button. It takes about 15 - 20s to lift each end.

This is the 50lb model and works well with a large rigid solar panel and two powered vents on the roof, if you have heavier stuff on the roof you may need a stronger actuator. The 30" model works as is with the flatbed fleet, I set the bottom of the actuator on the shower hatch in the back and on the water tank in the front, you may need a different length for your camper.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:33848]

Not sure what I'm missing here. I see the pole up against the roof and on the floor. What I don't see is how you lift it. Is there a crank or do you use a cordless drill?

Todd

rando said:

Got any photos you could share? [emoji120]

DarinH said:
Got any photos you could share? [emoji120]
Sure, just a few posts above yours.

rando said:
This is not a great photo, but shows how it goes together. It is basically a pole with a switch, plug it into the 12V outlet, put it under the lift panel and press the up button. It takes about 15 - 20s to lift each end.

This is the 50lb model and works well with a large rigid solar panel and two powered vents on the roof, if you have heavier stuff on the roof you may need a stronger actuator. The 30" model works as is with the flatbed fleet, I set the bottom of the actuator on the shower hatch in the back and on the water tank in the front, you may need a different length for your camper.

Thanks Rando! That is the type of actuator I have been looking for.

Todd. I am not sure whose picture you are asking about; but in my submission this tube is pneumatic. It's just air that pushes the telescoping pole up. You turn the knob at the bottom of the pole and that releases the air that makes the pole telescope upward. After the roof is up and you remove the pole, you have to manually push the extended telescoped section back down into the main shaft. It's easy to do.

I just bought the On Stage Power Crank-up SS8800B+ speaker stand from Amazon. It arrived with a torn box and no instructions inside. Most concerning is that every 6" while cranking or using the drill it has a momentary place of resistance. It might be getting slightly better each up/down but don't want to take the legs off until I'm sure it is not defective. Anyone else experienced these places of resistance or had directions missing? Thanks.

robcc said:
I just bought the On Stage Power Crank-up SS8800B+ speaker stand from Amazon. It arrived with a torn box and no instructions inside. Most concerning is that every 6" while cranking or using the drill it has a momentary place of resistance. It might be getting slightly better each up/down but don't want to take the legs off until I'm sure it is not defective. Anyone else experienced these places of resistance or had directions missing? Thanks.

I purchased the Knox Gear Hand Crank Steel Speaker Stand, so I can't speak directly to your purchase. But my stand does not have any "momentary places of resistance." It's the same resistance all the way up. (Virtually none with no-load and then a constant level when it starts to raise the roof). While there may be no direct damage due to the torn package, it may be an indication of rough handling somewhere along the line.

Given Amazon's great customer service, I'd suggest calling them and exchanging it.

Big Al i have a hawk .does that stand u bought go high enough to raise my hawk roof? Says up to.. 5'10"..thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom