Edgestar or ARB or Engel

natjwest

Contributors
I am in the market for an Edgestar, ARB or Engel fridge but want to get the right one. I know the Edgestar has a higher amperage draw listed on the panel, but I've read that that might not translate to a real-world performance hit.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the power draw of these models in comparison to each other, or have better google-ninja skills than me to produce this information? I can't seem to find anything quantitative online.

I 'think' someone did a pretty scientific power analysis on the edgestar somewhere in the 100 page post on expo portal.

I've seen similar 'studies' done on the ARB - but never side by side and under the same conditions that I can recall.

My personal experience is with the edgestar only - I've measured it and it draws a full 5 amps at start up -- then quickly settles down to the listed 4.25 amps (or close, I posted it here somewhere but I didn't spend much time lookign for it.... :D ) until it hits the desired temp.

Are you going with the top opening or front door opening style? I had (briefly) the Engel with the front opening door. It was loud and vibrated the whole camper. I can't believe that is normal so was able to return it as defective. But in the time we had it we discovered a couple of design flaws that made us go away from Engel completely. The freezer section has no back or front door, so everything just falls out of it and into the fridge section. The door rocked a little on its hinges but enough on bumpy (but still 2wd) roads that the latch wouldn't hold and everything fell out of the fridge.

Again, this is the front opening unit. Everyone with the top opening Engels seem to be very happy. We ended up going with an Isotherm Cruise 65. Isotherm Cruise 130's are the fridge used in the XP campers. We have been very happy with it.

Here's my thoughts (personal opinion only):

Edgestar:
Pro: Currently priced at $499 with free shipping, sometimes goes on sale cheaper.
Con: Often plagued by out of the box QA/QC problems, questionable long term warranty, reported higher running amps in comparison, less desirable fit/finish (and in my build since it's a little wider it wouldn't have worked well verse the bit more narrow AR:cool:.

ARB:
Pro: I like the dimensions/fit/finish better. Running draw seemed pretty low to me (I've posted voltage readings over a 6day run in the equipment forum, sorry no amp meter). 3year warranty. Removable lid.
Con: Currently priced at $799 with free shipping (I got mine onsale at 4wheelparts.com for $699 and picked it up locally).

Both units have a digital temp setting I believe. Not sure what the sound difference when running is between the two, if any. Vague recollection is the ARB definitely runs it's circuits off 12V and that when 120V is used it's stepped down to 12V, however one of the other manufacturers runs their electronics off 120V and when then 12V comes in it needs to be stepped up and thus there is an efficiency loss there??? (Definitely do your homework on that one as I can't clearly remember the details).

Long story short I choose to pay a couple hundred more for the ARB for the dimensions I liked better, fit/finish, possible lower running amps, and most importantly a solid warranty by a known manufacturer with good QA/QC.

I don't have any definitive data to support my ever expanding 'gut feeling' but I have had both the ARB and two versions of the Engel, the 35 and the 45. I wanted an upgrade in size from the 35, and bought the ARB. It never worked well for me (seems to draw more power?), so I went back to Engel and now have a 45 liter. I expect this will be around for quite some time.

The new ARB fridges use a Danfoss compressor while Engel uses the Sawafuji "swing motor" compressor. It used to be that the older ARB fridge used this compressor as well. The Engel has a track record dating back for many years. I have an Engle 45 that is three years old and it is one of the best pieces of gear I have ever used.
I tend to go with no frills gear and like the simplicity of the design of the Engel. The current draw is low enough that I run it off my auxillary battery and 80 watt solar panel at 34 degree inside temps and have never run the battery down.

Dsrtrat

quote name='natjwest' date='06 October 2011 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1317916910' post='57314']
I am in the market for an Edgestar, ARB or Engel fridge but want to get the right one. I know the Edgestar has a higher amperage draw listed on the panel, but I've read that that might not translate to a real-world performance hit.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the power draw of these models in comparison to each other, or have better google-ninja skills than me to produce this information? I can't seem to find anything quantitative online.
[/quote]

If you find your self close to Newberg (or Hillsboro during regular weekday business hours) and want to take a look at my Edgestar in person, just left me know....

A quick google search leads me to believe you aren't some kind of creepy fake internet person. :D It did lead me on a tangent though when I recognized some other dudes screen name, on some other forum that your screen name popped up on, then I googled him, then.... Anywho....

If you find your self close to Newberg (or Hillsboro during regular weekday business hours) and want to take a look at my Edgestar in person, just left me know....

A quick google search leads me to believe you aren't some kind of creepy fake internet person. :D It did lead me on a tangent though when I recognized some other dudes screen name, on some other forum that your screen name popped up on, then I googled him, then.... Anywho....

In reading this thread I saw an advertisement above the threads for a fridge "truckfridge" a 45lt goes for 499+ ship,draws 40amps/24 hours.Anyone have info about these.They are top loading and the measurements are a nice size.

Frank

I can confirm the edgestar runs on 12v. If money were no object I'd be running the Engel. Everyone loves it and its a proven design thats been around a long time. Since money is an object I got the edgestar and have been happy so far.

In reading this thread I saw an advertisement above the threads for a fridge "truckfridge" a 45lt goes for 499+ ship,draws 40amps/24 hours.Anyone have info about these.They are top loading and the measurements are a nice size.

Frank

In reading more about the truck fridge,it has some nice features.A built in low battery that shuts the fridge off.The upright have a light like a home fridge.Don't know what the regular price is as the models on line are close out,but at $544 shipped might not be a bad deal.Would still like to know more about them.

Frank

I am just finishing up my 2ND season with my Engel 45. I like my beer ice cold, especially in triple digit weather. It is without a doubt the best fridge I have ever owned.

I can boondock 3 days with it on one Group 31 Trojan unless the furnace is needed. It held a constant 33 degrees over the White Rim Trail at 100+ in June.

I took it to Montana in July in my travel trailer. Turned it to 3/4 power and it held 7 degrees bringing home 30# of walleye fillets.

It goes to the snowmobile cabin in the winter and plugs into 110.

The only bad thing about it is $$$!!! :D

I can confirm the edgestar runs on 12v.

Just so we're being clear you're saying all the electronics run on straight 12V with no internal conversion and that when plugged into 120V it's stepped down to 12V internally? I'm trying to recall with fridge (or portion of which fridge) out there did it backwards which seemed like such an efficiency waste.

Yes, I have the 110 unit sitting in front of me. Runs fine without it :)

Cool, I wonder which fridge I'm thinking of...

Thanks much US. I don't make it that-a-way too much, but if I ever do, I will give you a shout. I should be going to Carlton in November, so maybe then. Thanks.

I have been running an Engel MT45 for a few years now. It awesome! I have a spot in my 4runner that I sleep right next to and it hums but is very quiet. It will run off 12vdc or 120vac. You can have both plugged into the fridge and it will automatically choose ac when available. It does have a low amp draw. We bought it before doing a trip across the country and my wife needed to be on a medication that had to stay at 37 degrees. Since then we have done lots of trips including Moab in the summer at 115* and inside it stayed 37*. Also no ice to get, melt and slosh around.

Well worth the cost.

Back
Top Bottom