Electice hook-ups

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I've noticed that campsites offer several different power levels 30amp, 50amp, and maybe 20amp. Are there any special adapters that are required to plug in with FWC at the campsite outlet or can you just plug in your power cord?

Mine just plugs into 110v 3 prong power, 30 & 50 amp would need a cord like a home dryer or stove, 220v or two legs of 110v. Would not want to plug 220v into a 110v system. I would hope you could just plug into 20amp 110V shore power.

I have a similar question. My Grandby came with a pigtail: 30 amp locking (female) to 15 male. Does this indicate that I can not use a 30 amp cord straight to the camper?

To answer op, there are inexpensive adapters ( sold at wal-mart, amazon, camping world) that will connect the 30 (50, etc) amp shore power receptacle to a standard grounded outlet.
Most campsites have 30 amp and 15, once in awhile only 30 or the 15 doesn't work. 50 amps may have an additional cost and if you have a 30 amp converter, you can't get 50 amps of power.

Call the dealer or the factory and ask them. This is an issue if you go to a campsite without a 20 amp port...Then you need an adaptor male/female "puck" to plug shore power cord into a 30 amp port.on utility box.

You don't need 50 amp adaptor. This size used by large RV's with 2 air conditioners.

I have e-mailed Stan Kennedy at FWC and he provided some very helpful information. Also llavaseur shared some great info and provided several You Tube videos about connecting to campsite shore power. I have purchased 2 Husky Heavy Duty Extension Cords (Red & Black), 25' and 50'. It is recommended not to go exceed 25', but just in case I purchased the 50" I also ordered a 30amp, 30' that plugs directly into the camper, in lieu of the yellow pigtail and directly into the 30amp shore power. I ordered this from Camping World ( RV Cordset 30A 30' (69581). While watching the videos, they showed what is called a Dog Bone. If you do go to a site that has 50amp you would need a 30amp-50amp Dog Bone. So if I'm seeing this correctly the yellow pig tail 3 prong (20amp) would plug into a 30amp Dog Bone adapter and then into shore power, and if you the shore power was only 50amp you would need a 30amp-50amp Dog Bone to connect to the 50amp shore power. You can join Dog Bones and there are different choices.

If you go to You Tube and type in How To: plug in an RV (Dog Bones 101). I'm not smart enough to figure out how to upload the video. There are some other RV electrical videos also.

longhorn1, sounds like you got it.
FWC come with NEMA TT-30P plug and cord.

You may commonly find the following receptacles at campgrounds:
NEMA 5-15R
NEMA 5-20R (I don't see this one often)
NEMA TT-30R
NEMA 14-50R

So, to be prepared, one should have:
30amp female to 15amp male adapter (also called connector or 'dogbone')
30amp female to 20amp male adapter
30amp female to 50amp male adapter
Assortment for sale here: http://www.campingworld.com/category/electrical-adapters/185

Wouldn't you know it, you get in late, and the only site left is way back in the corner, and all they have is a 50A 4 prong receptacle! Well, you pull out your handy adapter, and you are all set!!!

Understand if you connect to one of the smaller receptacles (15A or 20A), if you load it up beyond its capacity, you will be tripping breakers. Current code requires GFCI outlets outside, but we've seen it all at various campgrounds. hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom