Electric Vent/Fan recommendations?

Mderou

Advanced Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for these? I'm wanting to buy 2. I presently have just vents, but am wanting to replace with electric units. I've conducted a lot of research into these and unfortunately there are multitudes of bad reviews for the models which seem to be popular such as Maxxfan and Fan-tastic. I was settled on the Mazxxfan 6200k models and read reviews on Amazon, they were predominantly bad. Seems like many are having circuit board issues. Also, evidently this model requires a voltage regulator to be installed if running solar. Its fantastic fan counterpart earned similar poor reviews. It's really hard to tell if this is a bad batch situation due to extended supply-chain issue coupled with QC oversights, or maybe Amazon is selling knockoffs. So many swear by the maxxfan, but just a cursory search reveals that recent buyers are plagued with issues. I was thinking okay, I'll buy the top model then the 7500k, but again, tons of issues. The "permanence" of this feature dictates that I want to get it right. Any guidance is appreciated.

I used a Maxxair 5100K

I like it because I don't have to close it if it's raining, and its really quiet .
I'm planning on replacing my other vent with one (factory fantastic fan that is so load you can't hear yourself think)

I haven't had any problems with it but I also don't run the fan that much.
I find that opening the door and the windows enough air moves that I don't need the fans.

Vic Harder said:
If it was me, I’d get a maxxfan and install a regulator too.
I ended up buying the Maxxfan 6200k. Pretty novice with electrical stuff, but will have to figure out that regulator. I think it's more important for solar right where volts get in the 14+? I don't have solar yet.

Machinebuilder said:
I used a Maxxair 5100K

I like it because I don't have to close it if it's raining, and its really quiet .
I'm planning on replacing my other vent with one (factory fantastic fan that is so load you can't hear yourself think)

I haven't had any problems with it but I also don't run the fan that much.
I find that opening the door and the windows enough air moves that I don't need the fans.
Thank you, I ended up getting the maxxfan 6200k. I looked at your model but wanted reversible air flow.

Machinebuilder said:
???? when I read the specs the 5100 is reversable.

I don't have the remote control, I didn't see the point in it.
Oh sorry I mixed it up with the 5301 which is exhaust only. You and I have the same fan just different lid covers colors.

a bit late to discussion, but useful info: I have had the 5100K for 3 years and have been very happy with it - it works as advertised and the 10 speeds are really handy. I did also install a small voltage regulator to keep control board happy when solar charging, it was inexpensive and easy to place behind my converter. I can verify that all of the electronic (and manual) controls for Maxxair are modular and easy to replace. I recently accidentally discharged a large static spark which damaged the main board. Although pricey (almost half the cost of a new entire fan) it was not hard to plug in. Of course getting electronic parts can be difficult now, but they are made available by Maxxair.

One other comment: it's fairly common knowledge that internet reviews of all products are, usually, seriously biased toward the negative, since most people do not post when they are satisfied. Even the negative reviews often lack evidence and context, and followup.

lostcreek said:
a bit late to discussion, but useful info: I have had the 5100K for 3 years and have been very happy with it - it works as advertised and the 10 speeds are really handy. I did also install a small voltage regulator to keep control board happy when solar charging, it was inexpensive and easy to place behind my converter. I can verify that all of the electronic (and manual) controls for Maxxair are modular and easy to replace. I recently accidentally discharged a large static spark which damaged the main board. Although pricey (almost half the cost of a new entire fan) it was not hard to plug in. Of course getting electronic parts can be difficult now, but they are made available by Maxxair.

One other comment: it's fairly common knowledge that internet reviews of all products are, usually, seriously biased toward the negative, since most people do not post when they are satisfied. Even the negative reviews often lack evidence and context, and followup.
Great points, DO you think that voltage regulator is necessary for when the vehicle batteries are charging the system? I'm going to be installing that Attwood receptacle for this and didn't know if this is similar to solar charging.

Yes. I like to be on the safe side, and I don't mind a small expense now to avoid a larger one later. Seems like Maxxair could easily have avoided this situation with a better design - perhaps they have updated it by now. But as I said above, it's otherwise a very good product in my experience. There was a good discussion of the high V issue on Maxxair fans in this forum couple of years ago, can't find it at the moment.

I don't know Atwood receptacles, but it's the V level at the source that would be of concern.

Been on the road for 3 weeks... no question in my opinion. Maxxfan. Fantastic customer service is terrible.

Dirtroadsavant said:
Could someone please post a link or name for a suitable voltage regulator?
If I replace both fans can one regulator do both?
I'd love to see one too.

lostcreek said:
Yes. I like to be on the safe side, and I don't mind a small expense now to avoid a larger one later. Seems like Maxxair could easily have avoided this situation with a better design - perhaps they have updated it by now. But as I said above, it's otherwise a very good product in my experience. There was a good discussion of the high V issue on Maxxair fans in this forum couple of years ago, can't find it at the moment.

I don't know Atwood receptacles, but it's the V level at the source that would be of concern.
Excuse my ignorance but during vehicle charging i think it's around 14.2, but do the problems only arise if the fan is run/on during the high V? Or if it's simply supplied with the power?

Good question. I would guess that the problem occurs when the fan is run (at any speed) and current passes through the components of the circuit board; or, maybe the higher voltage stresses the board just as potential - I don't really know. I'm not sure anyone outside of Maxxair knows exactly what level of high voltage is the problem. (My user manual only specifies nominal "12 volt" for input, not maximum). You might try searching the web for this issue in case anyone has posted more recently than 2 yeas ago (my last search). You could try contacting Maxxair directly. If you find anything please add to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom