Electrical Issue

bsharp007

search

Ok so I pulled out the Attwood plug on the camper side (male) that charges from the alternator. Rewired it and the running lights weren't working. Although I had the right color wires hooked up I realized the entire plug had twisted so I fixed it and rewired it. Still no running lights. I'm getting a power reading at the male and female end with the truck running so I'm at a loss of how to go forward?
I also checked up by the lifting panels to see if there were any frayed wires, checked the fuses I know about, at each battery, all good.
I'm wondering if by having the plug wired wrong if I somehow damaged the battery separator?

I checked the fuses at the batteries in the camper, there is no power at the running lights because they don't work.
I'm not aware of any other fuses? I checked all the fuses inside the camper fuse box as well.
Another peculiar thing that happened is I left the camper on for a few days and the truck battery was completely dead, a brand new battery. I'm wondering what the next step is?

Might be a poor connection with just a couple strands of wire making contact. Your volt meter doesn't draw much current(amps) but the lights do and you can't carry the higher amp load through a couple wire strands. Also be sure all plug contacts are tight and free of corrosion and dirt

On the FWC support page, click the electrical drop down and scan down the page looking for Attwood wiring. The wiring color code is listed. See if yours matches now. http://www.fourwh.com/support/popup-truck-camper-repair-service-manuals/

If having the camper plugged into the truck drains a new battery in a few days, there must be a path from the truck hot side through some resistance to ground.

Unplug the truck from the camper.
If the truck battery still gets drained, you will have to troubleshoot the wiring from the truck battery to the truck Attwood connector.
If the truck battery does not get drained, you will have to troubleshoot the camper to Attwood plug wiring.

Good luck and be patient.
Paul

bsharp007 said:
I checked the fuses at the batteries in the camper, there is no power at the running lights because they don't work.
I'm not aware of any other fuses? I checked all the fuses inside the camper fuse box as well.
Another peculiar thing that happened is I left the camper on for a few days and the truck battery was completely dead, a brand new battery. I'm wondering what the next step is?
You may want to check if you have power at the lights. Use a long wire back to the battery's ground to be sure. You could have a ground wire broken. I am assuming you are using a VOM to check your circuits.

billharr said:
You may want to check if you have power at the lights. Use a long wire back to the battery's ground to be sure. You could have a ground wire broken. I am assuming you are using a VOM to check your circuits.
I'll check that the next time I have the camper on. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the running lights come directly from the camper plug. Does it bypass the battery separator? I know for a fact that the plug (female) is hot. I'm wondering if the separator is bad, perhaps I damaged it by having the plug wired wrong? The truck battery is just fine now that the camper isn't plugged in.

bsharp007 said:
I'll check that the next time I have the camper on. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the running lights come directly from the camper plug. Does it bypass the battery separator? I know for a fact that the plug (female) is hot. I'm wondering if the separator is bad, perhaps I damaged it by having the plug wired wrong? The truck battery is just fine now that the camper isn't plugged in.
The separator is SPST* and should only control hot wire coming from the truck to the battery. I do not know how FWC wires the running lights. I have mine on a wired from the tail lights so the running lights come on when the truck lights are on. This is my running lights do not run off the camper battery. You would need a relay in the system to control the running lights if powered from the camper battery.

*Single Pole Single Throw

Back
Top Bottom