Electrical Questions

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I started researching POP-UP truck campers 1-1/2 years ago. Between RV.Net and WanderTheWest I have I received a lot of helpful information and hope to purchase a FWC Grandby self contained during the next year. I do not understand electronics so I hope the experts will be able to give me Electronics 101 in an easy to understand format.

I plan on having 2 AGM batteries and solar (`150W - 200W) (solar will be another topic). Beside the batteries, how does the charger, inverter, and converter work? On a recent post someone who just purchased a new FWC stated he added a 1Q4 Smart Charger in the converter. I'm confused as to what that is all about and why that would be an after market add instead of at the factory.

I also plan on having a Honda 2000 Generator to run the air conditioner when needed and to be able to use to charge the batteries on cloudy days.

I use a CPAP machine so my plan is to be careful about using interior lighting and other elctronics until I get used to the amp usage. If I have a TV, I would probably use the generator while watching. I did find a 400w invertter at Cabela's that I can plug the TV into use the 12V outlet. I just ordered the 12V adaptor for my CPAP and will be able to use it plugged straight into 12V. I spoke with the MFG. and they said the amp usage will be around 3 without the humidifyer. They said I could turn the humidifyer off and just use it in passover which would allow some moisture.

In the winter, I need to know whether batteries need to be removed. The inside storage that I will use doesn't have electricity. On other posts there has been mention of trickle charging the batteries. Do I need to remove them to do this or can this be done with the batteries left in the camper? A little help with this topic would also be appreciated.

Appreciate any help you can provide understanding how things work.

Happy Holidays.

Here is some info to get you started.

[SIZE=10pt]“I plan on having 2 AGM batteries and solar (`150W - 200W) (solar will be another topic). Beside the batteries, how does the charger, inverter, and converter work? On a recent post someone who just purchased a new FWC stated he added a 1Q4 Smart Charger in the converter. I'm confused as to what that is all about and why that would be an after market add instead of at the factory.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The camper has a inverter/charger box that when you plug in a outside 120 volt AC current the box converts AC to DC power. At the same time there is some DC voltage that is carried to the battery to charge it. The box will only by default put out a small amount of DC current in the level of a trickle charge. Over a long period of time this will hurt your battery and evaporate out the water if it is a wet cell. The smart charger box that will plug into the inverter/charger will be smart enough to up the amps to charger the battery to a level then drop the amps down to a maintenance level when it senses the battery is charged. Then after a number of certain hours have past it will do a high amp to the battery to help excite [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]the plates in the battery to help gunk from forming on the plates.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]“I also plan on having a Honda 2000 Generator to run the air conditioner when needed and to be able to use to charge the batteries on cloudy days.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]The smart charger will charge the batteries faster while running the generator.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]“I use a CPAP machine so my plan is to be careful about using interior lighting and other elctronics until I get used to the amp usage. If I have a TV, I would probably use the generator while watching. I did find a 400w invertter at Cabela's that I can plug the TV into use the 12V outlet. I just ordered the 12V adaptor for my CPAP and will be able to use it plugged straight into 12V. I spoke with the MFG. and they said the amp usage will be around 3 without the humidifyer. They said I could turn the humidifyer off and just use it in passover which would allow some moisture.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]You can switch over to LED lighting to help save battery usage. Any time you can use DC voltage for any appliance it will be more efficient and use less battery. The 400w inverter uses battery to run it and converts to AC voltage, there is a high usage of your battery to make this work and lot is wasted in this action. You might look at a three battery system to keep up with the long nights of usage. During the day the solar should get you up and charging if there is enough light to do this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]“In the winter, I need to know whether batteries need to be removed. The inside storage that I will use doesn't have electricity. On other posts there has been mention of trickle charging the batteries. Do I need to remove them to do this or can this be done with the batteries left in the camper? A little help with this topic would also be appreciated.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]In the winter with the cold you just need to make sure the charge is up on the battery occasional. Battery will go dead if the voltage level drops enough to allow the specific gravity to drop to a slow death. If you store the camper in a covered storage and there is no near by electricity to plug in, then you can remove the batteries and put them in your garage and then maintenance them a few time during the cold winter months. I would not leave a trickle charger on longer then it is needed depending on what voltage it would provide. Under 13.3 volts is good, 13.7 volts will evaporate off water. You can do this while the batteries are still in the camper but you mentioned you won’t be able to use solar and there is no electricity available. To make it easy on you removing then to be in a convient place would be good. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Good luck on your search and piecing together your system with a new FWC. [/SIZE]

the IQ4 will turn an older ioda converter into a smart charger (float not trickle), i did add to my old camper. check to see if your new convertor is an IQ4, it is part of some of the new ones. I did not plug into 110v often so i will only have smart charger "battery tender plus" in my 110v circuit, no converter. i also have a 120w solar in a bag.

bill

The smart charger doesn't come factory because its an added expense that some of us don't need. My camper has been plugged in to 110 a total of one time in the ten years I've owned it.

Inverters are handy things but they're inefficient. You're always better off using a 12v appliance if you can rather than using an inverter.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Bill not to change the topic,but how are the fingers?
Hope all is good with them so you can get back to work on the camper.
Frank
Frank,

fingers still really sore, post op appt on monday. pin will be in 6 to 8 weeks. may not even try much on the camper until then.

I think having a "smart" charger is good thing. I added a charge wizard to my last camper. I'd just assume plug the camper in when it's not being used so the battery(s) are always fully charged and for the other reasons already pointed out. I run dual AGM's in my boat with an on board charger. When the boat is not being used, it's always plugged in and it's especially helpful in the winter. I need to look at my converter and see if I can add a smart charger to it.
sign0134.gif

Riverrunner,

I'm with you on leaving the camper plugged in at all times until I want to use it. I'm hoping the smart charger keeps the batteries in great shape for a long time.

If there's any issue with leaving the camper plugged in to charge the batteries through the converter w/ smart charger I hope someone passes along the info.

Thanks

I notice you said you are planning on getting a self-contained Grandby in the near future, but that you also want to run an air-conditioner with your generator. May I ask if that will be a built-in air-conditioner or a portable one? I have always thought the self-contained version cannot have an air-conditioner because the back passenger-side window space is taken up by the propane tank compartment. It would be great to hear more information about that, and/or about any portable air-conditioning possibilities.

I, too, am planning on ordering an FWC Grandby in the next few months, and this is a conundrum I'm struggling with right now.

TZtraveler said:
I notice you said you are planning on getting a self-contained Grandby in the near future, but that you also want to run an air-conditioner with your generator. May I ask if that will be a built-in air-conditioner or a portable one? I have always thought the self-contained version cannot have an air-conditioner because the back passenger-side window space is taken up by the propane tank compartment. It would be great to hear more information about that, and/or about any portable air-conditioning possibilities.

I, too, am planning on ordering an FWC Grandby in the next few months, and this is a conundrum I'm struggling with right now.
If you watch the latest video by Tom, where he is standing in the Hawk with out the roof, which has the front dinette. Later he goes to a self contained unit. The fridge is on the passenger side and in the back corner you can have cabinets like the first part of the video, or if it is self contained the Cassette toilet will be in the passenger side back corner. FWC will install the A/C where the small window is on the back. Through-out the posts you can find pictures that show you the self contained model. I would follow up with FWC to make sure.

I am also interested. I have been looking at the Hawk and at least on that model small cabinets come with the cassette and I believe block where the window would go. Because of that I was thinking of going with the porta-potti without the cabinet in the corner. Let us know what you find out.

I think the propane tank placement with the front dinette fills in where the passenger side rear window would otherwise go, whether or not you have a cassette toilet back there. I've been communicating with Sean Dempsey of Go Anywhere in Wisconsin, and he said the FWC factory confirmed that an A/C unit is not possible in a self-contained because there is no back window, and I'm assuming that would apply to all front dinette configurations.

However, there are new things happening at FWC, it seems, and so perhaps this should be confirmed, and the message conveyed that some of us are interested in air-conditioning and a front dinette, if possible.

Sean Dempsey is, by the way, great to communicate with and I'm making plans to order a Grandby about the middle of the year to be picked up and installed by him in Wisconsin.

Timothy McGowen said:
I am also interested. I have been looking at the Hawk and at least on that model small cabinets come with the cassette and I believe block where the window would go. Because of that I was thinking of going with the porta-potti without the cabinet in the corner. Let us know what you find out.
I believe they will just do away with most of the cabinets and install the A/C in the back. They might have to move the cassette fill. In all of my research, I found the cassette toilet to be the best of choices, but that I'm sure would bring up a good debate. In the pricing from FWC, I asked for A/C and they priced it, and I'm sure that an issue would be raised if there was a problem. We have been e-mailing almost every day.

TZtraveler said:
I think the propane tank placement with the front dinette fills in where the passenger side rear window would otherwise go, whether or not you have a cassette toilet back there. I've been communicating with Sean Dempsey of Go Anywhere in Wisconsin, and he said the FWC factory confirmed that an A/C unit is not possible in a self-contained because there is no back window, and I'm assuming that would apply to all front dinette configurations.

However, there are new things happening at FWC, it seems, and so perhaps this should be confirmed, and the message conveyed that some of us are interested in air-conditioning and a front dinette, if possible.

Sean Dempsey is, by the way, great to communicate with and I'm making plans to order a Grandby about the middle of the year to be picked up and installed by him in Wisconsin.
If you go to all of the blogs on the FWC web site, the photos of the self contained, show the propane tank on the drivers side.

longhorn1 said:
If you go to all of the blogs on the FWC web site, the photos of the self contained, show the propane tank on the drivers side.
I have been comunicating directly with Terry Budd and the plant.

That sounds great, Longhorn1. I'm still in heavy research mode and since we'll be living on the East Coast and traveling quite a bit in the southeastern states, we want A/C if at all possible. This knowledge will open up some more options for us. Thanks, and let us know how this all works out.

Timothy McGowen said:
I just got an e-mail from Stan Kennedy at FWC and he confirmed that the A/C unit isn't available on the self-contained campers, only on the side dinnette or side sofa models. Looks Like a portable A/C unit will have to do, and has been done by a number of truck camper owners. The self-contain out ways the lack of built-in A/C for me, and my guess is the portable unit will be considerably cheaper.

TZtraveler said:
That sounds great, Longhorn1. I'm still in heavy research mode and since we'll be living on the East Coast and traveling quite a bit in the southeastern states, we want A/C if at all possible. This knowledge will open up some more options for us. Thanks, and let us know how this all works out.
I just got an e-mail from Stan Kennedy at FWC and he confirmed that the A/C unit isn't available on the self-contained campers, only on the side dinnette or side sofa models. Looks Like a portable A/C unit will have to do, and has been done by a number of truck camper owners. The self-contain out ways the lack of built-in A/C for me, and my guess is the portable unit will be considerably cheaper.

longhorn1 said:
If you find a good portable unit please share the make and model. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom