electrical smoke

RPM

Second trip in used 2010 Grandby, opened door to camper and camper was full of smoke, immediately disconnected batter and could not find source of smoke. After checking all electrical connections found batter isolator melted. Will it be ok to reconnect camper battery to use till I get home from trip. I disconnected truck completely from camper.

Is this why the battery separator was recalled for? I tried posting a picture from phone but not working. Anyway the stud for the truck power at separator is totally melted.

Wow, I'd do my best to figure out why that isolater melted - short, not wired correctly, failed? If you have completely removed the isolator from the system, have power in the camper battery - was it affected - it may be okay to hook the camper battery back up. Good luck.

Just from memory without reviewing posts, it believe there was a danger with possible overheating and causing a fire. Could be it. Again, good luck. Pain to have this happen on a trip.

It's wired correctly, did not affect camper battery at all, and yeah defiantly over heated. Will post some pictures when I get home. everything seems to be working fine, separator still connected just disconnect the camper to truck connector.

I would be really curious on how things were wired up ?

More details !

: )

Did you do the camper installation yourself ?

What color camper wires went on each battery post ?

Were there any in-line fuses installed for safety?

Is there a thermal breaker fuse installed in the wiring ?

If the wiring wasn’t hooked up correctly or there were no in-lines fuses, this can short out and smoke.

: (

There is a chance the separator could have been bad too, assuming that the camper and truck wiring was installed correctly.

(though we have not seen or heard any problems of customers having a bad separator in a Four Wheel Camper)

Attached is the Sure Power Battery Separator Recall Notice from Cooper Bussmann.

You can check the serials numbers to see if your separator was on their list.

(see attached Adobe .pdf file called Customer Letter)

Just let us know if we can help with anything.

Thanks !

: )

[SIZE=small]_______________________________________________________________________[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Affected Products [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]Model [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]S/N Start [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]S/N Stop [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]1314 (-B, BP-D) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]09004545 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]11002845 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]1315 (-B, NM) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]09002323 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]11001573 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]1318 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]09000274 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]11000192 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]1319 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]09000058 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=small]11000013 [/SIZE]

Attachments

• Customer Letter.pdf
    122.2 KB · Views: 162
Thanks Stan.

Wire is same size and type as camper, Fused at battery 25 amp fuse, white to battery positive, black to ground, green to parking lamp source. Only part of damage was at separator positive stud. Melted down completely. I sent picture to four wheel camper attn. Terry talked with him yesterday on it. When I get back home will remove unit and call Terry back, see if I can get any numbers off of separator.

here are some pictures

Attachments

• MELTED.jpg
    MELTED.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 143
  • MELTED 2.jpg
    MELTED 2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 140

It looks like we have a number right in the middle of the recall.

Sure glad this was the extent of the problem and nothing else was damaged.

ski3pin said:

It looks like we have a number right in the middle of the recall.

Sure glad this was the extent of the problem and nothing else was damaged.
Yup, it was a recalled one. That is scary to see those photos. Could have been so much worse.

Think I'm going to be relocating separator to engine compartment...any suggestions on getting the burnt smell out of camper. All the hard surfaces are not a problem, it's the headliner and the insulation in the ceiling thats really bad.

RPM said:
Think I'm going to be relocating separator to engine compartment...any suggestions on getting the burnt smell out of camper. All the hard surfaces are not a problem, it's the headliner and the insulation in the ceiling thats really bad.
The Surepower instructions say not to mount it in the engine compartment. Being either dumb or stubborn I mounted mine there and haven't had any problems in 6 years. I did mount it as far from the exhaust system as I could.

Back
Top Bottom