Enough Power

No way. A/C will need 15-2K watts

Read up and focus on "watts", what your need is and what your gen can provide. Be prepared, the numbers will be way different.

You will need a lot more than you think. Wish I could make it better!

~DR

Probably not.

We have run the FWC factory installed rear wall air conditioner on a good Honda 1000 watt generator.

Works fine, no problems, the generator didn't bog down.

BUT ... the generator was running really fast the entire time to keep up.

Customers that have a 2000 Watt Honda Generator have told me they can run it on the "econo mode" when the rear wall air conditioner is running. The 2000 generator would be running slower and quieter. That is a good thing. It will use a littlle less gas and you won't have to hear the generator screaming all day.

I think it is always better to have a little extra power than not quite enough.

Hope this help.

No way.

Read up and focus on "watts", what your need is and what your gen can provide. Be prepared, the numbers will be way different.

You will need a lot more than you think. A/C needs 2k watts minimum.

~DR

I agree.

The 2000 watt generator is the better way to go.

But the rear wall air conditioner we use in the Four Wheel Campers is a small office / window type unit AC, not the typical roof mounted RV air conditioner.

The rear wall AC unit we use is a 550 watt air conditioner.

I started up our Honda 1000, plugged the rear wall AC unit into it, and cranked the air conditioner to "HIGH" cool and the generator reved WAY up, but didn't bog down or stall.

If you tried to run a roof mounted RV air conditioner (like a Coleman Polar Cub) with the Honda 1000, it will NOT do it !

I am not suggesting to run the FWC rear wall AC unit on a 1000 generator.

I think the high rpm's of the generator screaming the entire time would drive a person nuts.

Not to mention the neighbors in the campground are going to be less than happy with you.

:)

So when in doubt buy a good 2000 watt generator.

No way.

Thanks for the info fellas. Well I wish I had a great trip report to give on my new Hawk, but I've only spent 3 nights in it and they have all been in my driveway. I did make it to a local camp ground for an afternoon campfire before I had to go get my twin boys from daycare. I wish someone would of told me to morn the loss of my free time before kids. Anyway, I'm planning on taking the camper to the Amplitheater campground above Ouray this summer with the fam.

jv

No way.

~DR

What he wrote. Another thing to consider. Some electric devices like AC and forced air heater units have a start surge whereby they have a momentary power demand even greater than their operating demand. Most units will have their start draw and operating draw on their spec label. Those are the numbers you are looking for when sizing a gen unit.

Good luck with your search.

But the rear wall air conditioner we use in the Four Wheel Campers is a small office / window type unit AC, not the typical roof mounted RV air conditioner.

The rear wall AC unit we use is a 550 watt air conditioner.

So when in doubt buy a good 2000 watt generator.

Part of the problem is there are very few air conditioners that are designed for self contained use on 12 volt systems. (there are nice small units for boats, but they do their heat exchange with the water rather than outside air) So, unless plugged in to AC at a campground or running on a generator you have problems. It is possible to run AC off an inverter, but a inverter is very inefficient and demands large amounts of electricity compared to it's output. What is needed is AC that runs directly off the batteries of your house bank. And then the house bank has to be quite big, and your ability to recharge it has to be large, lots of solar panels or such.

There is slight hope, as new regulations don't allow the big trucks to set with their engine running while the driver uses his sleeper unit. So there are 12 volt AC units beginning to appear for truck sleeper use, and even entirely replacing AC in the big trucks. For now all of those I've found are way too big for fitting in a FWC camper. There is one that's almost down to size, but it's designed for cooling doghouses, teardrop camper trailers and such. It's size is designed to be a external unit not the best design for our campers.

For now the small window units designed for fixed use rather than mobile is what most use. Not designed to minimize electric use or be all that physically small. Need units designed for our specific sort of use.

I'm installing a 200 amp hour battery bank and a 1500 watt inverter in my Eagle but that capacity is more for running a 950 watt microwave for the short intervals that one uses a microwave. Plus fridge, heater, lights and such. The inverter is capable of running a small window AC, but not for very long with only 200 amp hours. No way I want to run a generator. Will be adding some solar, but there is not enough roof to provide solar power that could keep up with AC plus the other things in the camper.

Not that I need one but you made me curious. I did a little googling and I was surprised to see there are 12 volt units that have high output available. Of course they're very expensive and the lowest draw I saw was 20 amps. Still this may be an interesting area to check out in a few years.

Not that I need one but you made me curious. I did a little googling and I was surprised to see there are 12 volt units that have high output available. Of course they're very expensive and the lowest draw I saw was 20 amps. Still this may be an interesting area to check out in a few years.

One thing to remember is often the watts rating given is output of cold air. And the unit is not 100% efficient, so actual watts you have to supply is greater. For instance the Microwave I'm putting in is rated 950 watts, but the amount it uses to make that much cooking power is 1250 watts.

Yep, I looked at the units that use 20 amps. That would eat my house battery bank down to the ideal limit of 50% discharged in 5 hours! And that only if I had nothing else on. The bigger problem is so far they are awfully big and heavy. Worth watching, also worth telling the companies making such things that we exist too and what our needs are.

If I knew a little more and had some money to waste I'd be tempted to experiment with making one using one of the refrigerator compressors 12v/110v type thats pretty efficient. I am keeping and eye out for a wrecked one which still has a good compressor and electronics. Probably end up being too small, but the compressors do come in a number of sizes. Making it myself I have a better chance of keeping size and shape of the unit appropriate.

Here in Georgia an AC for cooling for sleeping would be a real luxury if not essential. Nothing drives tent campers down here to motels quicker.

Back
Top Bottom