España

Espresso

I'm traveling through Spain, Granada at the moment. The region reminds me of central and southern California. To date I have seen only one camping vehicle. It was an 18 to 20 foot travel trailer being pulled (slowly) by a Peugeot sedan about the size of a Toyota Camary. I dont know where they were headed because I havent seen a single US-style campground. I did see a "campground", but it had air-conditioned and furnished yurts as the tents. It was pretty upscale camping and I get the sense the Spaniards would have a tough time wrapping their head around WTW.

It is hot in the afternoons and evenings. A/C would be mandatory for the afternoon siesta.

Tapas time!

Espresso said:
I'm traveling through Spain, Granada at the moment. The region reminds me of central and southern California. To date I have seen only one camping vehicle. It was an 18 to 20 foot travel trailer being pulled (slowly) by a Peugeot sedan about the size of a Toyota Camary. I dont know where they were headed because I havent seen a single US-style campground. I did see a "campground", but it had air-conditioned and furnished yurts as the tents. It was pretty upscale camping and I get the sense the Spaniards would have a tough time wrapping their head around WTW.

It is hot in the afternoons and evenings. A/C would be mandatory for the afternoon siesta.

Tapas time!
We are headed to that area this Christmas.Would like to see you report on the trip.
Frank
Ahha tapas,our favorite food group.

We saw very few campers in Spain and I didn't see a single truck camper. This rig was over the top.
Monster Camper 2.jpgView attachment 18911

Most of the "campgrounds" were little more than dirt parking lots, but many of them were dirt parking lots in awesome locations. Some, like where this monster camper was parked, were right on the beach.

Attachments

• Monster Camper 3.jpg
    Monster Camper 3.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 91
Many of the cars are the same as what you would see in the States. Not true for the motorhomes and trailers. Who knew Fiat made a truck platform big enough for a motorhome?
Fiat Moter Home.jpg

This is a Mercedes. The yellow one in the background is a VW.
Camper.jpg

]The geography reminded my of the Southwest, although I've never seen anything like Torcal de Antequera. Torcal de Antequera.jpg

Attachments

• Streets of Toledo.jpg
    Streets of Toledo.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 86
Summer is not the time to go to the beach. You will find miles of beach, but not miles of uninhabited beach. Although if you're out before 10am, you'll have it to yourself.
Playa Salobreña.jpg

To be fair, the Mediterranean coast is gorgeous and there were plenty of small beach towns that weren't as crowded as Salobreña. The water is warm and it gets warmer in August and September. I loved swimming in the Med.

Thanks for the report. I think when we go there in December the area will be less crowded. We enjoy the beach in Barcelona,where my daughter lives. There are lots of people (some really beautiful people if you get my drift) but the beach area there stretches for miles so you can go up or down the coast to a smaller town and find beaches that are almost deserted.
Glad you had a nice trip.We love Spain it is popular but not like Italy and IMO the food is way better.
We have been visiting our daughter there since 1997 and usually do a further out trip every time.
So much to see and eat and so little time.
The Spaniards really know how to enjoy life.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom