*Everybody Check Your Fire Extinguisher*

pvstoy

Today I was cleaning the FWC Ranger For the sale and scrubbing the floor the old fashion way, when I looked at the Fire Extinguisher and removed it to clean around it. I remembered that over time the powder inside will settle, consolidate and pack. This is worse in a vehicle that is bouncing and vibrating. In this condition don’t expect it to work when needed.

It has been some years since it was shaken up. It took quite a while until the powder was free and moving about.

I ask all of you to check your unit and work the powder free. Do this on a regular basis.

I have to tell you the camper cleaned up very well. It is in like new condition.

Hi Patrick,

Interesting post and possibly one that could save someone's camper or more. Our camper is almost 6 ears old with the original extinguisher still strapped in place. How can you tell when the powder is free and moving about? When should an unused extinguisher be replaced?

Thanks

A new fire extinguisher is cheap insurance. I buy one a year for about $30.00 and then rotate them between the truck, the house, the shed, the boat, and the camper. I never let any of them get older than 5 years old, and when they hit 5 years, I discharge them in a practice fire drill out in the woods, then toss the old extinguisher once it's empty. The one in my camper is always the newest, the one in the boat is 1 year old, the truck 2 years, the house 3 years, and the shed 4 years. Usually on the first trip out in the camper I rotate the extinguishers. Makes life easy and I know that I'll always have one ready if I ever need it.

Priority's

Now if it was me, the new one would be in the boat, but I feel the same way about my shed.

Good idea. I screwed up and had a cloth bag catch fire from the stove on a recent outing. I saw the flame and just grabbed the bag and smothered it by holding it tight against the jacket I was wearing. Jacket doesn't look too good and a couple pairs of underwear were singed but other than that it turned out OK. Not sure if the fire extinguisher would have worked, a reminder to keep it fresh and handy.

Has anyone used (thought about)a Halotron Extinguisher? http://www.safetekusa.com/shopping/Halotron-I-Fire-Extinguishers-P1206.aspx[/URL]
The idea of using a powder extinguisher has always seemed like a last resort due to the powder residue. I know a mess of powder is better than a torched camper/truck. These seem like a better, but pricey option.

Sorry, the link doesnt work. If anyone can help... Thanks!

Halon

Is the only way to go, if you have to use it. Both boats we operate, and the race car I drive are protected by Halon systems. I thought about one for the camper, but decided if the thing catches fire, I'm walking. For the most part dry chemical ext. are useless.

Halon is not a great idea in an enclosed space. Generates toxic fumes plus displaces oxygen. Used a lot in computer rooms because it doesn't harm the equipment, but in places where humans work you have a delay to allow you to get out before it discharges. Not to mention its getting harder to get due to environmental reasons.

If your extinguisher shows a charge and the powder is free it should last a long time. I know I"ve brought up the extinguisher shaking before, but even I don't always get around to doing it. I'll make it point to do it today.

They are messy but I wouldn't hesitate to use one if it was needed. I disagree with fisherman that they're useless, but you do need to keep in mind a few things. They're typically rated something like 1A10BC. The numbers refer to how much fire they're rated to put out. Which means they are much more effective on gas/oil, the BC part, than ordinary combustibles, the A part. So if you are going to use one you need to make sure the fire is small, and aim at the base of the flame.

Myself, I carry a couple dry chem extinguishers, a foam extinguisher and sometimes even a five gal afff extinguisher. Oh, almost forgot the five gal backpump that goes on the Jeep. But that harkens back to my days as a firefighter for CDF and I do tend to get a bit carried away.

P.S. Just checked the Jeep extinguisher and sure enough it was packed.

If your extinguisher shows a charge and the powder is free it should last a long time.

How can one tell if the powder is "free"? It's not like the extinguisher is see through. Or just give it a good shaking and leave it at that?

How can one tell if the powder is "free"? It's not like the extinguisher is see through. Or just give it a good shaking and leave it at that?

Think of a spray paint can. When you first shake it you don't feel the ball inside. Like the powder when you turn the unit sideways and shake you will not "feel" movement inside. So shake long and hard and you will "feel" the powder moving around.

Think of a spray paint can. When you first shake it you don't feel the ball inside. Like the powder when you turn the unit sideways and shake you will not "feel" movement inside. So shake long and hard and you will "feel" the powder moving around.

As good an explanation as I could give. Sometimes you'll have to turn it upside down and give it a good whack to break it loose if its really packed.

Is the only way to go, if you have to use it. Both boats we operate, and the race car I drive are protected by Halon systems. I thought about one for the camper, but decided if the thing catches fire, I'm walking. For the most part dry chemical ext. are useless.

Dry Chem extinguishers are very effective for extinguishing most fires, they are rated as class ABC extinguishers. I have used dry chem extinguishers to put out many small car fires in my job as a firefighter. The downside is they do leave a mess but better then burning down our campers. Halon is pretty much extinct here in CA, the next choice is CO2 extinguishers and they are not effective on class A fires (wood, paper, and other common combustibles) probably the most common fires we see. I do like the idea of periodically turning your OEM dry chem extinguisher upside down and tapping with a rubber mallet in order to free up the powder and replacing with a new extinguisher every 5 years or so.

Halon

OK here is the deal with Halons after the Montreal Protocol of 1987 there was a world wide mandate to stop all production by 2004, most production stopped by 1994. This was along with CFCs for environmental reasons, green house gases and remember that whole O-zone layer thing. There were some provisions left for high value computer, aircraft and military uses.

It is an asphyxiate but works on a chemical level to put out the fire more effectively than any other product. And yes it is highly toxic.

Today you pretty much can't get a new Halon extinguisher unless it is surplus and most of those a big systems, ie. tanks, airplanes clean rooms. There are new halon alternatives out there.

Get a good ABC dry chem and mount it where you can get to it. If the fire gets to big you aren't going to put it out with out some major GPM. (RVs and mobile homes have a tendency to go roman candle:)) CO2 is great but big and heavy. If you use any extinguisher in an enclosed space you will be hurting either from the powder or lack of O2.

Best bet.....Don't catch the darn thing on fire in the first place!

Just a reminder since camping season has arrived. I checked mine while putting the camper on for the season this weekend & sure enough it required the "shake, rattle, & roll" treatment.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom