Expeditions West Overland Rally and Workshop Series - Hollister Sept 23-26

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Thought some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.overlandrally.com/

Expeditions West and ExpeditionPortal.com is proud to present the Overland Rally and Workshop series.

Our next event will be held at the Hollister Hills State Vehicle Recreation Area in Hollister California.

Join us for four days of overland excitement beginning on Thursday, September 23 and running through Sunday, September 26.

The Hollister event will bring overland and expedition travel enthusiasts together with a focus on all levels of vehicle-based adventure travel including 4WD and dual sport motorcycle.

The four day event will have a limited attendance so register now for tickets and your on-site camping spot.

Registrants will have the opportunity to participate in many exciting classes and discuss all aspects of Overland travel, in a casual and relaxing environment. You will also have the chance to look at several products and get ideas and advice from follow travelers.

For those of you looking for a little challenge, make sure to participate in the Expedition Trophy contest. This is a great opportunity to test your skills and have fun!

This event is a great occasion to meet up with new friends who share a similar passion!

Event Features:

On-site camping
Local 4WD and motorcycle adventures
Fireside chats, which include trip presentations by fellow adventurers
Vendor exposition to support local companies and respected manufacturers
Featured vehicles
Movie night
Expedition Trophy competition (YES, it is back!)
Overland Workshop: Presented by Overland Training
Overland chef demonstration and training
Trip planning course
Photography and videography presentation and training
Adventure motorcycle riding course
Overland driving course
Field recovery course
International driving session
Navigation (backcountry and international)
Family adventure planning
Communications and electronics
Other workshops as requested by the local members.

Bummer. That is not too far for us. Unfortunately we will not be able to make it. For those of you that can, I suggest trying to make some time for Pinnacles National Monument just a short drive from Hollister. Some nice hikes and a rare opportunity to view Condors.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dirty Dog. This will be a great event. I'll be there and have been asked to help by leading a trail ride and perhaps giving a beginners' four-wheel-drive class.

I helped out at another event recently at Hollister, and managed to convince XP Camper Marc to join me. That was big fun. You can read a little bit about it at:

http://www.americansahara.com/2010/08/your-own-publicprivate-partnerships/

Cool, as a charter member of tread lightly I always like to see the message spread.

It was an honor to be affiliated with tread lightly to spread an important message.

Thanks for posting up about the event. Some significant new development have come through, including Fourwheel Campers becoming an event sponsor. They will be there with several campers and showcase some new developments. Gary and Monika Wescott will also be in attendance.

Overall, it will be a fun and educational weekend. Looking forward to seeing many of you there.

www.overlandrally.com

This will probably be a great training event.

Unfortunatly I don't think the general public can get in to see our campers ?

:(

I have had a couple of people call today (Saturday) saying they were stopped at the gate and could not get in because they were not signed up for the event ?

I think Tom will be heading home early with the FWC's.

I don't know what all happened. Maybe the customers just didn't know where to go ?

Sighs ...

Tom will probably bring updates for us when he returns.

I wish I could have goten away to attend some of the classes.

I think Tom did a little "wheelin" in Scott's Jeep

:)

Thought some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.overlandrally.com/

Expeditions West and ExpeditionPortal.com is proud to present the Overland Rally and Workshop series.

Our next event will be held at the Hollister Hills State Vehicle Recreation Area in Hollister California.

Join us for four days of overland excitement beginning on Thursday, September 23 and running through Sunday, September 26....

The Overland Rally was a great event. Well put together, nice community, and lots of interesting stuff to do, see, talk about, and even taste. Wander the West folk would have been most welcome and comfortable.

I got to meet and talk a bit with Tom of Four Wheel Campers. Enjoyed that quite a bit.

Some very interesting vehicles in attendance. But the best thing was by far the people. I taught two Basic Four Wheel Drive classes that seemed to be well received. I think the students were very kind and modest as several of them probably know more about this stuff than I do.

And while a vehicle recovery class was in session, someone flopped a VW Syncro onto its side near the top of a rather steep and slippery hill. No injuries and a few of us helped get the car back on its wheels. Fortunately, some of the top recovery experts in the world just happened to be on the scene and directed the entire operation. It was a textbook case that turned out well.

Just to be clear, overturned vehicles are not a common sight among the overland community. This was a rare opportunity to practice what we try to prepare for.

I found some good photos of the recovery operation on a VW enthusiast site:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4861889&highlight#4861889

That's my Power Wagon winching in the foreground with another full-size truck also winching. We used one truck to stabilize and secure the VW while the other righted it and pulled it up the hill. Both winches had to keep lines taut for safety.

It was quite an experience.

Back
Top Bottom