Extended cab-over option?

longshanks

Hi all... My wife and I have been tenting for long enough that I think she's considering my pleas about upgrading to a camper. We have been shopping around for campers, and would like to own one in the next year or so. I've been eyeing up the FWC grandby but due to my remote location in northern Canada, I've only managed to see one of them in the flesh. The one I looked at was a beauty, a 2012 model with all the bells and whistles. We simply don't have the $$ to justify a new camper, and we don't expect to use it often enough to get all the options we want. This probably leaves us in a position to hunt around for an older model. I can modify/fix/repair pretty much anything, but I am questioning whether it's worth it to hold out for a unit with the extended cab-over option. Most of the used Grandbys I've seen don't have it.

Does it add considerably to the comfort of the bed? Interior space in the camper? I am wondering what you do with sleeping bags, pillows, foamy, etc, when the top is down, because it doesn't seem like there's enough space up there to store that stuff.

Also, I'm 6'5. Any tall people out there camping in the older campers with the 74" high stand-up height? In 2005 they added 4" height to the ceiling, and I'm wondering if the short ceiling is going to be a problem.

thanks for your input

A bigger question is what kind of truck do you have as older Four Wheel Campers were typically wider and might not fit a newer truck.
See this fitment list

I am 6'3"plus and in my old 83 Granby I would just kinda graze the roof, but it really wasn't a issue. If you have a newer truck though it might be a moot point and at 6'5" you're head would be much happier with the newer models.

As far as the bed, I much preferred the lower 8' couch that folded out. Me and the dog down low and the wife upstairs. Storage is always an issue, but with the newer models there is room for bedding with the top down. The older models....nope.

Good luck in your search.

thanks for that Rotti.

I understand that all 1990 and newer Grandbys will fit the newer 1/2T and 3/4T pickups, so I am looking for a camper that is 1990 or newer. My present truck is a Toyota tacoma, but I am building a utility trailer to carry (among other things) a camper until such time as I buy a new truck in the next few years. Once I have a larger truck, I want to be able to carry the camper in either the truck or the utility trailer, depending on our needs.

Regarding the upper bed in the non-cabover units, it seems to be the same size as in the newer units, but with a slightly lower ceiling and more skimpy cushions?

Regarding the upper bed in the non-cabover units, it seems to be the same size as in the newer units, but with a slightly lower ceiling and more skimpy cushions?

Sorry, I can't be of much help with all the various changes they have made over the years. I had that 83 Granby for over 20 years and have just ordered a new Hawk, so I have about a 30 year gap of what happened in between.

What I did find out about the new ones though is that they have a king size bed option. I considered that option but the price scared me off.
Stan at FWC is a great resource for more in depth answers about those "tweener" years. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Also post your location and maybe some FWC owners that are close will give you a tour.

Extended cab over all the way, uses up less space in the unit. Check out FWC site and you will see what I mean. 16" slideout instead of 32".

Our personal ATC Cougar is a bit of a (camper/shell) hybrid. Instead of a convertible couch/bed on the passenger side we have an L shaped couch in front. The short leg of the L extends less than 40" along the passenger side under the large window. The cushions on it are level with the window sills. This makes for a nice single bed down below. The slide is 28 inches giving us a (king size) 81" X 75" upper bed. The bed is really roomy and quite comfortable.

Because we have no couch we have tons of floor space and can always use a camp chair (or 3) inside with room to spare. As a KMH There's tall closet in the right rear for storage. A Few Pix
We had an Engel mounted on a shelf and the solar panel runs it just fine. As you can see we opted out of the built in 2 burner stove. This gives us a huge amount of counter space. We do almost all cooking out side and can always move the camp stove inside if need be.

This is the most practical and comfortable camper we've ever owned and we've had a few. When you get to be my age having a north south bed so you don't need to crawl over someone to get up at night is a luxury.

Our personal ATC Cougar is a bit of a (camper/shell) hybrid. Instead of a convertible couch/bed on the passenger side we have an L shaped couch in front. The short leg of the L extends less than 40" along the passenger side under the large window. The cushions on it are level with the window sills. This makes for a nice single bed down below. The slide is 28 inches giving us a (king size) 81" X 75" upper bed. The bed is really roomy and quite comfortable.

Because we have no couch we have tons of floor space and can always use a camp chair (or 3) inside with room to spare. As a KMH There's tall closet in the right rear for storage. A Few Pix
We had an Engel mounted on a shelf and the solar panel runs it just fine. As you can see we opted out of the built in 2 burner stove. This gives us a huge amount of counter space. We do almost all cooking out side and can always move the camp stove inside if need be.

This is the most practical and comfortable camper we've ever owned and we've had a few. When you get to be my age having a north south bed so you don't need to crawl over someone to get up at night is a luxury.

Guys

Not getting an extended cab over was one of the main mistakes I made when I got my 05 (in 05), Granby-that and not getting solar-had to put it in later and it works. Stan talked me into getting the hot water heater-and I'm so so glad he did, just like getting a frig instead of an ice box-yes to all the bells and whistles and now that I just turned 68, they all add a little more comfort. Don't forget the screen door-another must, it's soooo much better than my old tent or even under the camper shell. As they say-if I'd have know that then, I would have------! spend the $ when it's all buried in the one loan, if you don't get it then, you really feel it like now --as I climb up into the my sleeping bag and not nice fluffy fully made bed:cool:! (I leave it as a single so I don't have to mess with pushing it in and out all the time-messes up where I put the dirty dishes! Dito on the Alasken-looks neat but costs more than I have to spend!

Smoke

Having bought our 2004 Grandby last year, we were SO lucky to have found one that had the extended cab over and I can say it is definitely one of the best features we have. We leave it extended all the time as it only overs the front seat area that we don't use. It definitely gives us much more space in the camper without having to deal with sliding the bed in and out.

If you are looking for a used one, it's going to be hit and miss on finding one with an extended bed. I don't know how popular the option was the further back you go. Cost was a big factor to many back them.

Am I right to say that all the new FWC's now come standard with the Extended Cab - Over Option? If so what year did this begin?

Thanks

Am I right to say that all the new FWC's now come standard with the Extended Cab - Over Option? If so what year did this begin?

Thanks

Every model of All Terrain Campers have an extended 48" extended cabover bed as standard equipment.

I believe that is the case but it has only been for a year or two. Stan can confirm.

I have a '93 Grandby and it is a tight squeeze when the upper bed is pulled out. And there is zero storage room on the upper bunk when it is folded down - not even a blanket is going to fit...

When I start my hunt for a newer model I am going for the extended cab over no matter what.

It is worth the wait, should that be the case. Other options, like screen door, led's, etc. can be added at a later date. Extended cab, no add on your stuck with it.
Look into the sites fwc or atc and think of the must have's and go from there. That way anything else is a bonus. Keep in mine these units can be rebuilt from the factory,ie. new roof and sides, but at $. If you find one that might need a lot of $ you may be better off to wait again for a newer model.
Having said that no matter what age or condition of the rig, it can be put back to new condition. A rig that you can have for life.
If you get down to the island, will be glad to show off my rig. And no its NOT for sale. Well I guess everything is for sale, ha ha

thanks a lot for your advice everybody. Both me and my wife are tall people, and I think we'd appreciate the extra space provided by the extended cab-over. Griz, you pretty much summed up what I've been thinking so far. As long as the shell's right I can tinker with it from there... So, the hunt starts for a FWC Grandby or ATC Cougar that has good canvas and an extended cabover. Unfortunately I haven't been to the island in ages, but I appreciate your offer.

cheers

That is my only regret with my Hawk Shell. I have the "short" cab-over, would love to have the extended version. Mine is a 2008, so it was not standard at that point.

My advice is to wait to find one with the extended cab-over.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom