Extra Door Keys - Broken & Replacement Door Keys - Spare Door Keys

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman
When I recently went to my local friendly locksmith to see if he could make me a couple of spare door keys, he said go online, as that company (Bauer Products) is very protective of their key blanks.

So, after a little internet searching I found them at Bauer Products.

Having just had a questionable experience from ordering a $3 vintage motorcycle part (150 miles from my home) and the company not telling me that I was going to pay $19 for shipping, I decided to email asking Bauer Products to give me an estimate of the shipping cost, as their web site didn't mention the possible costs.

I waited several days and did not get an email answer.
And, to be fair, I could have called them, but, I didn't.

So, coming up on a deadline where I needed some extra keys for my work associates, I decided to order the keys. I did have enough time if they were going to ship slow that I would still be OK, thus I did NOT opt for the UPS Next Day Air or 2nd Day Air services. The order date was Wednesday, October 12.

After placing the order, a web screen message that I thought in today's world was a little funky said that I would not receive a order confirmation email or any other email like, shipping date or proposed arrival date (wording was a little different, however, that was the basic idea). That was a little unsettling here in 2011. Customer communication is a cornerstone of a good, if not great, company.

Additionally, the web screen message said the order could take from between 2- 3 weeks to be shipped. Really? Keys? Well, I would still be OK timewise.

I decided to watch my credit card online and see when it was going to be charged and what the amount was going to be. Usually I can purchase something online and if the merchant is automated the charge shows up within a few hours. If the merchant is not automated the charge usually shows up in a day.

Nothing happened for the next few days and then last week ended.

Monday, no credit card charge showed up from Bauer Products.

Tuesday, October 18, when I picked up the mail I had an envelope from Bauer Products with my keys. I then checked the credit card charge and there is was, posted at 9am, Monday.

The enclosed invoice had the details... $2.50 for each key (minimum of 2 keys required), shipping cost $2.00 and I'm not sure why I had to pay Michigan tax as I live in California, but if Michigan needs the $$$ then so be it.

Conclusion, a little unsettling at first, however, the end result was satisfying.

I just thought if you needed some spare/extra/replacement door keys, you should know how it goes with this company.

for future reference, you might try these people as well ...

Lost Keys / Door Key Replacements:

Replacement door keys for campers

Company: (FIC) makes the locks on most camper doors

Codes can be found inside the door lock, on the part that stays on the door.

Their alpha/numeric codes will look something like the following:

CS 301 to 351

ES 301 to 351

HS 301 to 351

I don't think they mind if customers contact them directly to order key replacements.

for future reference, you might try these people as well ...

Lost Keys / Door Key Replacements:

Replacement door keys for campers

Company: (FIC) makes the locks on most camper doors

Codes can be found inside the door lock, on the part that stays on the door.

Their alpha/numeric codes will look something like the following:

CS 301 to 351

ES 301 to 351

HS 301 to 351

I don't think they mind if customers contact them directly to order key replacements.

I ordered some spares directly from this company a couple of years ago...quick and easy.

I recently had one of my door keys break off of my key ring because the "bow" part of the key was made of plastic.
I have a spare key hidden somewhere on the truck, however, it just broke in my pocket, so I still had it with me.

When I got home, I emailed Bauer Products about if they had experienced this previously and if they had an ALL METAL replacement key available. I also told them the number that was on my key.

Bauer Products responded the same day that they did have an all metal replacement key and they would send me one (I assumed that they were going to send it at no cost to me).

I responded that I'd really like to have 4 all metal keys and I was willing to pay for them plus the shipping. Bauer Products said to call their customer service and we'd work it out. We worked out a deal.

I just received the all metal replacement keys today and they work great, both in the door lock and on my key ring.

Here's a photo that shows the all metal key on the left, the broken "bow" part of my "well worn" key in the middle and my original spare and unbroken key on the right, along with the phone & email address on how to contact Bauer Products.

If you have what I had as original door lock keys, you can contact Bauer Products to see if they have an all metal replacement key you can purchase.

img_150429_3_3337a94e661c5685c2f70400d53c2c89.jpg

With my Grandby, I just went to a local locksmith and had a duplicate set made. No issues. I hope I can do that with the Bobcat keys.

Back
Top Bottom