Extra Fuel Carry Options?

Thanks for all the feedback.

I rode my moto from LA to Alaska last summer. I too carried an extra gallon of gas and never needed it, but it gave me a big piece of mind. Also, like Ramblinman mentions above, I assumed that fuel would be available 24-7 but it wasn't. There were a couple times when we got gas just before closing, and a couple times we had to stop to overnight earlier than anticipated because the station we were hoping to be open was closed.

I'll have about the same range with my truck as I did with my moto (for a lot more money of course) so I just want to have a little bit packed along just in case. Also, won't hurt in Death Valley which is closer to home.

I was originally thinking about 2 5-gallon cans, but after reading all the posts I think I'll stick to 1 5-gallon can.

That's a good idea. What size can is that? 3 Gallons?
Two gallon tank. I have a second to stack if needed but I only need it for a small generator which is rarely used. I could always buy the diesel cans for it but I get over 450 miles per tank and haven't had the need yet.

Good luck.

Area45 said:
How are your holders mounted? A plate under the wing similar to other campers? Looks good.
Sorry for the delayed response- was out of internet range for a few days.
The cans are mounted on an aluminum plate under the overhang and bolted through the back wall. Works well.

On my first AK to lower48 trip several years ago, I welded a 'T' shaped carrier out of square tube that mounted in the hitch receiver. I bolted those jerry can holders onto the ends (5gal at each end - sort of behind each taillight but not covering the light) and strapped the cans down to the holders. It was simple and cheap. After I got home I dumped the fuel into the tank and never used it again. :oops: (I even fabbed up some can covers so they wouldn't get covered in road grime/slop)

I want to carry a Rotopax 2 or 3 gallon gas can on my upcoming trip to Death Valley and Utah, and I like the idea of mounting it where one of the steps is, but my steps on my new Hawk are all mounted very close to the outer edge of the camper, and the gas can would stick out. I was thinking of getting one of the L-brackets Rotopax sells and mounting it right on the bumper. Has anyone tried that? There is 5" of flat space on the upper surface of the bumper and it wouldn't block anything.

Has anyone used a flexible fuel bladder to carry spare fuel?
I'm looking for a small spare fuel carrier for my generator.
While researching options, I came across a similar bladder that's popular in Australia, and I came across the bladder in the link below on eBay.

More expensive than the rotopax, but I like the fact they can be collapsed and rolled up when not in use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-tank-Flexible-fuel-bladder-automotive-/141922214081?hash=item210b3920c1:g:AvUAAOSwyjBW3EB8&vxp=mtr

We carry two 5 gallon cans mounted on the back and make use of them quite often. With my stock tank (21gls.) using 10 mpg (on roads it's higher on trails 4lo it's less) I figure I can go out 100 miles before having to turn around. With the spare fuel I can explore another 50 miles before heading back. When traveling on the highway it's fun to load up on the $1.15/gal gas then putting the extra 10 gallons into the tank before pumping the $2.95/gal stuff ;)

Captm said:
We carry two 5 gallon cans mounted on the back and make use of them quite often. With my stock tank (21gls.) using 10 mpg (on roads it's higher on trails 4lo it's less) I figure I can go out 100 miles before having to turn around. With the spare fuel I can explore another 50 miles before heading back. When traveling on the highway it's fun to load up on the $1.15/gal gas then putting the extra 10 gallons into the tank before pumping the $2.95/gal stuff ;)
I am the same way in my Dodge Dakota. I feel that this is pretty common to most mid sized trucks. I had to be very careful with my fuel when I was out in the San Rafael Swell and out towards the SW corner of the Maze at Canyonlands.

malimish said:
We mounted our own gas can and holder on the mounting bracket. 70 bucks total. (50 bucks for can and holder, 20 for extra parts)
Hey Dan, hows your mount holding up. Are there any other attachments points Besides the 2 bolts on the jackbrackets?

Yes, it's only attached via jack bracket. No issues with it. We only fill up the spare gas can when we think we will need it. Otherwise, it sits empty (which is most of the time).

super doody said:
Hey Dan, hows your mount holding up. Are there any other attachments points Besides the 2 bolts on the jackbrackets?

I made my own box / rack (welding required). I wanted one that I could lock for trips out of the country. The top of this box is hinged and you can put a pad lock on it. It will hold both 5 and 2.5 gallon cans. I use both depending on trip location. Nice thing is I can put ANYTHING in it. In the winter I put my snow shoes in there and lock it.

The rack was made by buying a Jeep swing out tire rack. I cut off the tire part and built the box in its place. It also holds my porta potty seat and a shovel.

Chris

Attachments

• Rack.JPG
    Rack.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 243
Back
Top Bottom