Extra padding in a 2008 Eagle

elduderino

I bought some extra foam (1.5 inches), and inserted it into the existing bed cushions. Felt great however, I could not get the top down even when the latches were lengthened out. I also felt as though too much pressure would break the wood panel in the front of the camper when it was closed. Back to square one...

I'll post some photos when I install my new bedding.

Two 4" high density foam cushions. 10 year warranty from a foam shop.

One will remain up in the bunk area when the top is down - it measures the same as the bunk when the slider is closed.
The other cushion is actually two pieces that is hinged length-wise which will serve as a replacement for the couch.
Got the cheapest cotton cover. Fairly ugly, but I'm not the type to care.

This setup I hope will fix all the discomfort experienced in past trips.

I may also try to eliminate the 1/2 inch step in the bed platform by allowing the slider piece to drop to the same level as the fixed portion.

We have tried feather beds, waffle foam mattress cushions, other thicker but cheap foam and even air mattresses (COLD!) with no success.

The factory foam is not dense enough to provide any comfort.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. First modification I did to my used camper was head down to a friends upholstery shop for a new firm foam pad with a better quality cover. A bit on the spendy side but really good for my back plus spruced up the retro (1985) look a bit. Couch still on the list.

I bought some extra foam (1.5 inches), and inserted it into the existing bed cushions. Felt great however, I could not get the top down even when the latches were lengthened out. I also felt as though too much pressure would break the wood panel in the front of the camper when it was closed. Back to square one...

I replaced the bedding with 2.5 inch and 2 inch high density padding in my Eagle. The 2.5 makes up for the height difference between the bed and slide out. I can't notice the gap anymore and the top goes down as it should.

Photos as promised
Don't laugh at the covering - it was cheap.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 336
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 352
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 308
I took out my factory foam mattress and replaced it with (2) 2 1/2" memory foam mattress toppers from Costco. I think they were around $138 each(queen). So now I have a 5" thick foam mattress that compresses when the top is down and its WAY more comfortable. They were both easy to fit in the stock mattress cover. Much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. For added temperature control, I taped a single layer of that silver bubble wrap stuff(cant remember the name) to the base of the bed and the slide out portion of the bed as well. Works great.
The stock foam mattress is very uncomfortable, do yourself a favor and upgrade it.

Just my dos centavos...

I took out my factory foam mattress and replaced it with (2) 2 1/2" memory foam mattress toppers from Costco. I think they were around $138 each(queen). So now I have a 5" thick foam mattress that compresses when the top is down and its WAY more comfortable. They were both easy to fit in the stock mattress cover.

I have the Costco mattress topper that you mention. I've been rolling it up and leaving it on the couch 'till I reach my destination... Kind of a pain. I assume you had to cut them down to fit in the stock covers. How did you cut them? Do you need two to get the fit right? No problems latching the top down?
smile.gif

Thanks, Jim

I'm still a great fan of replacing the stock foam with HR41 hi density foam at the same thickness - 4 inches.
Cost at North san diego upholstery shops around $200.00 for a queen size.

Jim

I have the Costco mattress topper that you mention. I've been rolling it up and leaving it on the couch 'till I reach my destination... Kind of a pain. I assume you had to cut them down to fit in the stock covers. How did you cut them? Do you need two to get the fit right? No problems latching the top down?
smile.gif

Thanks, Jim

I took out the factory mattress and laid it over the Costco mattress, used a black felt marker to trace it out and then used a pair of decent scissors. I did the same with the second mattress except I cut it about 2" shorter all the way around to ensure it would fit in the stock cover(forearm burner!). The top closes fine but I had to adjust all the closing turnbuckles a few turns. Hope this helps.

Would a 1" memory foam mattress topper fit? I mean, will the top close without springing the latches? I will get a twin as hubby prefers firmer stock foam mattress but I like a softer place to sleep. I am thinking memory foam would squish down some. Or, since it is a twin, I could squish it and stow it off the bed when not sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom