F150 2.7L payload package plus Hawk

rustytinbender said:
I have researched and plan on ordering a supercab with a 6 1/2' box and the 2.7 ecoboost with the payload package to replace my rusting out 2011 chevy. I weighed my hawk with my truck fully loaded at the local feed mill last fall and it's 1600 lbs including the water. Ford says the payload package is rated for 2165 lbs. That should work fine for me.
Have you considered getting one with the 5.0 L V8? I've had that engine in 3 different F150's and they have proven to be very strong, reliable engines that get decent mileage (for a V8). I think you'll find that the advertised MPG of the 2.7 L ecoboost will be cut in half (if not more) when loaded with your camper and gear. I've never had an ecoboost, but from a lot of things I've read, and talking to people that have /had them, people aren't happy with them long term in terms of maintenance and repair costs, and hauling mileage. I see the turbos as 1 more system in a truck that can break down, and cause premature wear within the engine itself.

DarinH said:
Have you considered getting one with the 5.0 L V8? I've had that engine in 3 different F150's and they have proven to be very strong, reliable engines that get decent mileage (for a V8). I think you'll find that the advertised MPG of the 2.7 L ecoboost will be cut in half (if not more) when loaded with your camper and gear. I've never had an ecoboost, but from a lot of things I've read, and talking to people that have /had them, people aren't happy with them long term in terms of maintenance and repair costs, and hauling mileage. I see the turbos as 1 more system in a truck that can break down, and cause premature wear within the engine itself.
Totally agree with this.. I have 3 friends with Ecoboosts, one 2.7 and two 3.5 and none of them get better real world MPG than the 5.0 (the 2.7 does when empty, but not with a camper). I am on my second 5.0 and the motor has been flawless. IF.. I was towing heavy loads, ecoboost.. but with FWC 5.0 only loses about 2-3 mpg.. Also, consider a heavy duty payload package and its like having a 3/4 ton (my payload is 2611 lbs)

So this spring we took the Hawk out for its’ first big trip. From WA to Joshua Tree and Death Valley. 3400 miles, 21 days. Observations:

The old 2000 F-150 7700 we had was good but the 2001 F-250 is way better.

The stiffer frame, longer wheelbase, and extra weight make the 250 a dream to drive on the road. We spent lots of time on 2-lane roads going 75mph and the truck was unflappable. Semi trucks going the other way didn’t budge it. Headwinds, crosswinds, no problem. The new rig with the 7.3 diesel is nearly 2000 pounds heavier than the old one, and the extra mass made driving a breeze, no pun intended.

I totally love the diesel power. Stock truck and we only slowed down on one grade that had a short bit of 10% in it, the rest of the time it was 75mph in top gear. I never had to shift down out on the highway, very impressive. Our F-150 with the 5.4 ran great but we would have needed to downshift and slow down many times on this drive. With so far to drive it was a joy to be able to maintain the speed limit. The 7.3 never felt strained and frankly made a wonderful sound. The wife didn’t mind it, and we could still carry on a conversation.

We averaged a little over 14mpg for the whole trip. Our 5.4 gasser gave us 10, and didn’t have as much power.

Interestingly, the GVWR of the F-250 is only 8800lb, according to the sticker. It’s sprung pretty light so it’s pleasant to drive empty, and it has air bags for the camper. With the Hawk and fully loaded the scale weight is 9400lb, compared to 7600lb with the F-150. Adding 20psi to the air bags is all it takes to keep the ride height correct. Unloaded I’m running 48psi front, 45psi rear. Loaded, the tires sit right with about 50 to 52 front and rear, since when fully loaded the axle weights are about equal. Originally I wanted an F-350 that didn’t even notice the camper, but now I’m glad I didn’t go that route because the ride of this rig is very pleasant, empty or full, on road or off.

We had our first overlanding trip, 85 miles through the Saline Valley, on the west side of Death Valley NP. Surprisingly it made me wish for an automatic. The 7.3 has so much torque that it was a challenge to drive it smoothly. Since then I’ve learned about airing down, and a little higher rpm in low range seems to help too. The truck is definitely a big heavy beast off-road, but I’m learning how to work with that. I no longer wish for the auto because the ZF-6 is far more reliable. And overlanding is really fun. I’m excited to learn more about it and make some improvements to the truck, as time and money allow. I came out of Death Valley wanting a 4” lift, 35x12.50 tires, etc, etc, but I’ll go slow and hopefully not screw up the truck for other things.

We took out the console and the back seat and basically had a whole extra room for all our stuff. We didn’t keep anything in the camper, which made it super nice to pop up along the way. No need to unpack the camper just to use it. The crew cab is really nice for this.

I haven’t been this excited about a vehicle since the Chevelle I had when I was 16. And being able to camp in incredibly beautiful spots every night and have a full bedroom and kitchen was revolutionary.

The only place that I feel I made an error was in assuming I would not use the truck as a daily driver. It’s just so fun to drive.

Does anybody know the load rating on the factory tires that come with the F150 HDPP?

LT265/70R18C OWL All-Terrain Tires (A/T)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom