F150 with a 2150 lb payload for a Hawk

Alpine

Newbie here. I'm jumping into the Four Wheel Camper pool and have decided on a Hawk. I had originally thought that I would get a Fleet for my V6 Tacoma (that I love) but I have recently realized that I'll most likely be significantly overweight and I just can't get comfortable with that. I have made my peace with not being able to get into spots that the Tacoma/Fleet can access and I'll enjoy the extra space and stuff that the full sized truck can provide.
I'm trying to figure out If the F150 with a 2150 lb payload will be enough truck for the Hawk and a bunch of stuff. I have searched the Forums and it appears that I can most likely be very close to the payload limit with a fully featured Hawk and a bunch of gear and I'd like to know if any of you have experience with a new F150 at the payload limit. If necessary, I'll get a 3/4 ton diesel which is a big step up from my good old Tacoma.
This site is an incredible resource and I really appreciate the administrators and members!

Thanks, Elliott

​You'll get lots of opinions and I think that the 3/4 ton diesel would be an awesome rig BUT a lot of us are using 1/2 ton trucks with no issues. I have the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and love the combo (with an Eagle). Nice E rated tires, air bag suspension, no issues. 20mpg.

Hi Elliott - Welcome to the forum. One year ago, I was in your exact situation. Owned and loved a Tacoma/Bobcat rig but was looking for a bit more room. Bought a 2017 F150 Supercab (V8 with 2,200 pound payload capacity) and a fairly loaded Hawk (delivery weight of 1,278 pounds). Since we got this set up in early April we have put 17,000 miles on the truck, including an extensive road trip to Newfoundland-Labrador (9,500 miles) and four lesser trips in the west. The combination has worked very well for us. Currently, we are averaging right at 16 mpg. It is not as agile off the road as the Tacoma but I am getting used to the larger vehicle and am sure it will get us where we want to go. On long highway trips it is very comfortable. We did add E rated tires, air bags, and a Helwig sway bar. If you decide to go with an F150, by all means get the 36 gallon tank (no need to worry about carrying extra gas). As kmcintyre says, you will get many opinions, all of which have merit. I can only say that we are very happy. Good luck with your decision making. - Richard

Attachments

• Fogo Island #1.jpg
    Fogo Island #1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 1,920
Welcome to the forum. We've had a 2010 Hawk for seven years. In fact, its on sale on another forum on this site right now. The empty weight on our 2010 Hawk is 740 pounds. We used helper springs and later went to Ride Rite air bags. I honestly believe in hindsight that no suspension add-ons were needed. (Old too soon, smart too late!)

Now we have a 2018 F-150 Lariat and we're waiting for our new Hawk to be delivered so we can hit the road! The Hawk is a great choice. We started out thinking that we'd get a Tacoma and put an Eagle on it. One look at the Hawk and it was "Goldielocks!"

Remember, Elliot, you can always add suspension upgrades later. Ford builds a good truck. If you order the FX4 package it comes with E-rated tires.

Enjoy the journey!

I run a 2015 F150 (2.7 Ecoboost 4x4 FX4) with a ATC Ocelot that is pretty much a standard interior build (sticker shows 1032 lbs). The only suspension upgrade is a set of Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoads. When I stow the camper in the garage on a dolly, I can disengage the StableLoads if I want the truck to run "stock ride". With the StableLoad system engaged, the truck is pretty much level, handles the weight, and drives fine. Next trip, I will likely tune the headlights a bit lower (few turns of a screw) as the headlights run just a bit higher than when unloaded.

Alvis said:
I run a 2015 F150 (2.7 Ecoboost 4x4 FX4) with a ATC Ocelot that is pretty much a standard interior build (sticker shows 1032 lbs). The only suspension upgrade is a set of Torklift Quick Disconnect StableLoads. When I stow the camper in the garage on a dolly, I can disengage the StableLoads if I want the truck to run "stock ride". With the StableLoad system engaged, the truck is pretty much level, handles the weight, and drives fine. Next trip, I will likely tune the headlights a bit lower (few turns of a screw) as the headlights run just a bit higher than when unloaded.
what kind of MPG do you get with that rig? What's the power/passing like?

I have a 2009 GMC regular cab 1/2 ton with a 1800lb payload and a loaded 2013 Hawk. We are right at about 1800 lbs payload loaded. 2 people and we don't bring a ton of junk, or offroad equipment.

That truck would have 350lb more payload than what I have.

If you like to bring lots of stuff or do serious offload, I would suggest a 3/4 ton. It really comes down to how/where you plan to use the camper. Campgrounds, maintained gravel roads, conservative driving etc. 1/2 ton is just fine. I would still suggest airbags though.

Vic Harder said:
what kind of MPG do you get with that rig? What's the power/passing like?
with camper I probably avg. 16 or so depending on the wind and air conditioning. Best almost 18 with a tail wind coming out of New Mexico. No camper 18ish around town, close to 20 on hwy. I don't drive real fast (70) with camper on but with the twin turbos making 300+ hp it pulls strong for passing, entering highways or going up mountain passes. Seems to be a really solid powerplant - will see in the long run.

I just looked a the Canyon/Colorado diesel that some folks have here, vs the aluminum Ford F150 vs what I have... interesting:

My 3/4 ton 2500HD has a payload of 3679 pounds. My built up Hawk Shell is almost not-there on this truck.

Canyon ZR2 only has a payload of 1100 pounds. Yikes. Not enough for any FWC with stuff along. Yet some folks here love theirs.

F150 has a pay load is about 3300 pounds, depending on the configuration/engine.

Fuel economy (loaded with camper and gear, 70-75 mph) seems best in the Canyon, next best in the F-150 and positively terrible in my truck (12 mpg). That said, mine feels effortless regardless of winds, hills and whatever... it just goes.

Does anyone with the F-150 ecoboost (big or small) or Canyon want to chime in here about drive- ability/economy?

Here is a great Edmunds comparison on the F150 between the eco-boost and the V8. Comments are worth reading too - https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-test-27-liter-ecoboost-vs-50-liter-v8.html

Some shaky info above?

1. The FX4 package comes with E rated tires: False

2. F150 has payload of 3300 pounds: False for almost all configurations. Typical is at least 1000 pounds less than that.

3. 2000 Hawk is 740 lbs: Probably false. Maybe for bare shell models. Do earlier year model camper tags list actual as built weight?......or do they list shell weight before options?

I can’t answer for the camper load yet

I have a 2011 F150 extended cab 5.0 3.73 axles heavy payload 8’ bed. My payload capacity is 2300 lbs. I recently had it weighed and the truck with me is 6240lbs. It came with E rated tires.

I talked with Stan from FWC at overland expo east, and he told me I would not have any problems with a Granby.

I should have my Granby shell with rollover couch, awning, fantastic fan, and jacks in about 4 weeks. Ounce I get it I’ll start building a motorcycle carrier for my DR350. Then I’ll see if I need air bags.

As a point of clarification regarding the tires. I ordered the truck from Ford with the optional LT tires, thinking that they were "E" rated. When the truck arrived they were LT, but "C" rated . . . . a disappointment. I then purchased new Cooper AT/3s from my local tire guy and he sold my "C" rated tires for me on consignment.

I have an ATC Cougar (8 ft long, 82" wide) on a 2015 F150 with the extended cab (not crew) and 6.5-foot bed. I run with the camper on the tailgate. Truck is bone stock (no extra springs, airbags etc.) and rides just fine with the camper. Engine is the 3.5 ecoboost which gets about 20 mpg without the camper and around 16 with the camper (driving around 67 mph). Turbo engine means we NEVER have any issues on uphills (tow capacity is supposed to be 13000 lbs). We don't haul a LOT of junk, probably the average amount, whatever that is. Supposed payload limit is about 2300 lb cargo plus passengers etc. Camper is probably 1400 lbs with all the junk in it, plus two people (300 lbs) plus full fuel (200 lbs) and various stuff in the cab (maybe another 100 lbs). So we are well within the weight limit. Just replaced the stock tires recently, but had no particular issues with the originals. I typically ran them at ~45 psi on the highway.

Caveat: we have not done any significant 4WD stuff with this setup, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work if the camper is tied down well.

Thanks for all of the informative replies! This information is invaluable, especially the mileage. I'm a little worried about the 2018 new transmission as it isn't proven yet. It seems like at 2100 lb payload will work out but I worry that I'll want to bring a lot of gear for my hunting, fishing and hiking activities. Unfortunately, you don't know the true payload until you look at the Yellow Sticker. I'm going to order the Hawk then figure out the truck.
Thanks Again, Elliott

Alpine said:
Thanks for all of the informative replies! This information is invaluable, especially the mileage. I'm a little worried about the 2018 new transmission as it isn't proven yet. It seems like at 2100 lb payload will work out but I worry that I'll want to bring a lot of gear for my hunting, fishing and hiking activities. Unfortunately, you don't know the true payload until you look at the Yellow Sticker. I'm going to order the Hawk then figure out the truck.
Thanks Again, Elliott
Where are you quoting that payload figure from? Ford lists the max payload for each configuration assuming the lowest possible trim. Higher trims and options will subtract hundreds of pounds from payload. Except with the Payload Package very few F150's will have a 2100 pound payload. Those that can do it without the Payload Package are very spartan versions.

There are option weight spreadsheets floating around out there on the Internet that can help you determine a rough final payload before you see the yellow sticker. Just understand that Ford charts list max possible figures. Go walk around a Ford lot and open a dozen doors and read the sticker. You'll see what I mean. Good luck finding any that are anywhere near 2100 pounds. Hint, skip the moonroof, 20 inch wheels, tailgate step, platinum trim etc. Get the Payload package if it's made in a version you want, (It's very restrictive and hard to get.

Enjoy the Hawk and have fun.

Alpine said:
It seems like at 2100 lb payload will work out but I worry that I'll want to bring a lot of gear for my hunting, fishing and hiking activities.
Welcome to WTW Alpine !

Of the many good replies I'd like to repost this one ...

Bill D said:
I have a 2009 GMC regular cab 1/2 ton with a 1800lb payload and a loaded 2013 Hawk. We are right at about 1800 lbs payload loaded. 2 people and we don't bring a ton of junk, or offroad equipment.

That truck would have 350lb more payload than what I have.

If you like to bring lots of stuff or do serious offload, I would suggest a 3/4 ton. It really comes down to how/where you plan to use the camper. Campgrounds, maintained gravel roads, conservative driving etc. 1/2 ton is just fine. I would still suggest airbags though.
First off, well done Bill D for keeping the weight down ! If we consider the weight of a Hawk and two people this is remarkable. The accomplishment much closer to a backpackers attitude toward carrying "stuff" or "junk" that I think many pop up camper buyers fully intend but have trouble achieving or maintaining.

Note to the gentle reader, "junk" on this board meaning everything from cutlery and clothes to tools and toys (like fishing poles). I'm not clear on where water and food fit or vehicle alterations like air bags and aftermarket tires. But know, junk or not, they all add weight.

Bill D also reminds us of the importance of considering the where and how of intended use. We always travel solo and often to areas unfamiliar to us so tend to carry a lot of contingency items such as extra fuel, water, food, clothing, recovery gear etc. All of it junk -. all of it extra weight. Likewise for our activity gear and all the small things like floor mats and flashlights. In truth we carry this junk because we want to and, knowing we would, chose a bigger vehicle. Didn't need a diesel, that was simply another want even though the gas version offers more payload - *note important with a 3/4 ton*

The F150 is a great truck and I'd be happy to own one if we didn't feel the need to carry around so much junk. A crew cab 4x4 optioned with 7850 GVWR has a decent payload. I have no direct experience but from everything I've read and heard I'd be confident driving one at max rating.

I've got a 2015 f xls 150 fxs4x4, tow package, 36 gal tank, V8. I had the dealer add e tires (negotiated the price difference). Added Fire stone air bags, that I switch to cradles as the u bolt on one side sheared off.
Sticker on the door without tire upgrade is 2100 lbs additional carrying with full fuel tank and one 150 lbs driver.
Have a fully loaded 2015 Hawk, shipping weight weighing is 1400 lbs (including jacks).
Initially I fully loaded the camper that included a Kodiak Tent, full water tanks and 5 days worth of supplies and 2 Bicycles on the rear!
No jacks -100 lbs. on a Catscale I weight in at 2450 lbs.
I no longer carry the tent. I determine beforehand if I am cycling on the trip. Reduces food supplies to local markets as needed. Cut back on the personal stuff, and fill the water tanks when close to my destination.
I drive mostly on serviced dirt or gravel roads, but have ventured off (White Rim, trans Labrador, and a few not so smart back trails in the Smokies). I average 15-16 mpg. Air bags at 40 psi, front tires 60 psi & rear at 70.
I constantly monitor engine temp, tire pressure, rpm, and my spouses suitcase.
I think the f150 is a suitable option to carry the camper, just be smart!

Have 36000 miles!
When on the long drives to a destination I empty the water tank

I have a 99'150 with oem tow pkg 4/1 springs and ride rites pretty much rebuilt drive train, not sure what that means exactly as far as payload, looked everywhere and nobody can say for sure. Anyway, 05' Eagle only thing I don't have is solar. County weighed 1190 lbs.
Add two medium dogs, wife that likes to be comfortable (if you know what I mean). I'm pretty much at gvw. But, , I have full coverage insurance, and not worried about taking too much stuff because 200-300 additional stuff is not going hurt the old girl.
If you're concerned at all pushing the 150 get a 250
I really comes down to overloaded comfort level.
Good luck

Mickey

SeatoSea said:
I've got a 2015 f xls 150 fxs4x4, tow package, 36 gal tank, V8.
I drive mostly on serviced dirt or gravel roads, but have ventured off (White Rim, trans Labrador, and a few not so smart back trails in the Smokies). I average 15-16 mpg. Air bags at 40 psi, front tires 60 psi & rear at 70.
What speed are you doing to average 15-16 mpg?

I have a 2012 F150 crew cab, XLT 6.5', 3.55 gearing, 4x4, 5.0 V8 and ran a loaded 2014 Hawk FD this summer for a month straight.

We had to be for sure over weight. I have also added Firestone airbags to the truck specifically for this trip. Truck performed perfectly on the trip. Never second guessed my weight but also didn't drive like an idiot.

F150 is an awesome truck. Had a HUUUUGE cab that my 3 kids appreciated in their giant carseats

Back
Top Bottom