F150 with a 2150 lb payload for a Hawk

Vic @ long rides, and under a 1000 ft. I get 15.6 mpg. when west of the Appalachian and higher elevations about 14-15 mpg. I drive @ or below 60-65. With Camper off I've gotten as high as 19 mpg.

SeatoSea said:
Vic @ long rides, and under a 1000 ft. I get 15.6 mpg. when west of the Appalachian and higher elevations about 14-15 mpg. I drive @ or below 60-65. With Camper off I've gotten as high as 19 mpg.
I think I keep asking the mpg question because I want to justify a newer, shinier truck, but it hasn't worked so far. I'm averaging 11.5 mpg with the camper on, at 70-80 mph hwy cruise speeds. The difference of just 5 mpg would save me only $2200 a year at our current camping/driving rate of about 12000 miles a year.

Let me preface this by saying that I did not own a truck or camper when I started. I custom ordered my truck in an attempt to a) maximize payload b) maximize mileage. I was getting ready to retire and planned on traveling. Although I was not planning on any off-roading to speak of I did plan on plenty of forest service roads.

Truck:

2016 F150 SuperCab, Lariat, 4X4 (not FX4), 36 gallon fuel tank, 2.6 liter EcoBoost engine, 2.7 liter payload package (similar to HD towing package).

As someone mentioned before your trim package does effect a lot more than I thought - actually I didn't plan on that. The charts are for the stripped down version that you probably could never get. I ordered the 4X4 package that basically eliminates the skid plates and has a different sticker. On tires. Mine did come with E-rated tires BUT they are not marked as you would expect and I had to have the dealer confirm. My biggest regret ordering the truck was not specifying better tires. I assumed they would be off-road tires considering it was 4x4. The tires have a street tread with no meat at all. I need to replace them. I would strongly advise upgrading. Payload on the charts that I was trying to achieve was 2160 lbs. As built was 1899 lbs.

Camper:

2016 Hawk, front dinette, silver spur. 160W dual battery solar package, single roof vent, cassette toilet, heater, water heater, batwing awning, 130 liter Isotherm refrigerator, jacks, standard stove and sink. I can't find my documents from the scales but the camper with LPG and jacks (no gear or water) was about 1500 lbs.

Results:

I am very happy with the build. As far as mileage, the on board calculator is between 1.5-2 mpg higher than the third party app that I use (GasTracker+ from Fuelly.com). Per GasTracker+: Truck new ( day 1 to 84) without camper was around 18 mpg. Camper installed and never removed from day 85 to present (36,630 miles) gets 14.7 mpg around town in California. On trips outside of California I get about 16.7 mpg average with 18 mpg at times. I consistently see about 2 mpg better mileage once I fill up out of state. Worse mileage returns upon first fuel up within California. It probably has something to do with the magic fuel blends we use. Actually I think out of state fuels use higher ethanol and might account for it.

The truck is stock without suspension modifications. I'm very happy with handling and only notice a sway problem once fully loaded wet. Honestly its not very bad and I don't think I will even do anything about it. I wish the mileage was better but definitely not bad. The 2.7 liter engine has no power issues. I was following a trailer uphill at about 11,000 feet in Colorado and passed it without any problem.

If I had it to do all over again I might, thats might, consider an F250. I feel safe at my payload although I honestly have not re-weighed the rig yet. I am waiting to become more finalized in what my standard gear load will be. I'm sure I am near or slightly over limit. The extra payload never hurts and would allow for camper/gear upgrade flexibility later. Not sure how big a hit on mileage that would be. Also for load perspective, I am an ex-backpacker so my equipment load is minimal. I don't load up with BBQ's, firewood, cast iron pots, tables, etc. (not that that's a bad thing).

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks again for all of the great data and advice. In the end, I ordered the Hawk and have decided on the F250 because I'd like more room on the payload. I really don't like the gas mileage hit but sometimes you can't have you cake and eat it too. There are currently several threads on the general topic of weight so I guess it's a common dilemma. It's funny that the Fleet/Hawks are put on everything from Tacomas to F350s; whatever makes you happy!

Elliott

The payload on my V-8 2018 F-150 is about 2750 pounds.

I ordered the FX4 package and it did, indeed come with E-rated Michelin tires on all four wheels. (Strangely enough, the E-rated spare is a Goodyear Wrangler. I'm still trying to get a good answer from Ford on that oddity. The selling dealer says that the spare on every Ford is a Wrangler.)

The Manufacturer's ID tag on my 2010 Hawk listed an empty weight of 740 pounds -- that is before adding any options. Loaded out you're still not talking about a whole lot of weight.

Rambling -

I opted for the 4X4 and not the FX4 and the Wranglers were standard. What engine, cab, and level interior did you order to get that payload?

Dare I ask mileage?

Hey Rambling, Did you get the F 150 in long bed heavy payload? I'm looking to order such a truck and I was wondering what the door sticker payload would be with the SuperCab and off road package. 2700 lb would be sweet indeed.

I spec’d out a 2018 Lariat F150 today & manually had a order entered at the dealer. I will place it tomorrow. The GVWR is 7850. It did not state payload. With other brochure research I am confident the payload is 2700 & the weight is 5090. This adds up to the GVWR.
The payload could be altered by weight additions not in the HD pkg & 18” wheels. I am ordering FX4, so the skid plates could slightly detract from the payload. I can not figure much more that would but who knows? Below is a link to a pdf brochure.
Check out page 35 for payload. The (3) shown under SuperCab, long bed, 3.5 EcoBoost, 4x4, is what I am ordering, among a bit more.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018

Stokeme, That is the configuration that I'll order in XL trim. I'm curious about the final payload on your truck so please post the payload figure from the yellow door sticker when you receive the truck. Will it come with load range E tires? I couldn't figure that out from the Build Tool and I want AT load range E tires if they are available. It's gonna be a long rig but I'll use the space if the payload is there. I've seen F250 diesel short boxes that sticker in the mid 50K range that only have 2350 lb payloads.
Thanks, Elliott

Can anyone share some information on a F-150 FX4 with a 5'6" bed and a hawk? I think the payload is right around 2000 lbs still but obviously the hawk will hang out a little. Would it be better to leave the tailgate down or take it off?

Thanks

Southern, my 2 cents, With the tailgate down, there is no protection for the camper, and a rear end will damage the tailgate and camper Others have said it is harder to get into the camper. How far will the camper stick out.

Hi Stokeme
I looked at the chart and I see what you are looking at. That's pretty good payload. My 250 SD is right around 2700.

What color are you looking at, red is known to handle heavier pop ups. :)

Russ

Hey fellas, the Mrs. wanted Stone Grey, a new Ford color for 2018. I had to defer, she had deferred on most everything else.
My tires with the Heavy Duty pkg are LT275/65R18C OWL A/T. SuperCab, long bed. It is a long rig. The Crew would have been way long.
Xl tires with same pkg are LT245/70R17E BSW A/T. I am told 3-4 weeks until official reply with a bulid invoice. Then 8 weeks from there until truck. Camper ready about same time. Hope it all coincides.

Longhorn, the hawk is made for the 6.5 foot bed so it would hang out about a foot. FWC also makes the Raven which is for full size trucks with the shorter bed (5.5 foot). I'm tying to find out if many people run into problems with the hawk and a 5.5 foot bed and if it would be better to buy a raven or if a hawk still runs great with the shouter bed.

I was curious about the E rated tires mentioned on here so, fwiw...

It seems the rear axle rating for the HD pkg equipped with 17" wheels is 4550lbs. The "standard spec" for LT245/70R17 is max 2205lbs in a Load Range C (Load Index 108) which is less than half the axle rating so Ford must supply a higher load index version (114) rated at 2600lbs which they are listing as an "e" as opposed to a D or E. Note, the 17" steel wheels are listed as rated for 2275lbs each for rear axle use and thereby do not exceed that axle rating, as is typical with Ford.

The rear axle rating for the HD pkg equipped with 18" wheels is 4800lbs. The "standard spec" for LT275/65R18 in a Load Range C (Load Index 113) is 2535 - more than sufficient for the axle rating.

Brochure https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018
Specs https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2018/eSB2018-F-150-Specs.pdf
Load Inflation https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/2017_load_and_inflation_tables.pdf
Load Index https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Thoughts about whether I should move up in size with my tires? And should I swap for E rated tires?
The HD pkg converts the rear axle to electric locking 3.73.
If I get taller/larger tires, I am told, it helps, a little, to offset the reduction in fuel economy produced by the higher 3.73 gear ratio?

Stokeme said:
Thoughts about whether I should move up in size with my tires? And should I swap for E rated tires?
The HD pkg converts the rear axle to electric locking 3.73.
If I get taller/larger tires, I am told, it helps, a little, to offset the reduction in fuel economy produced by the higher 3.73 gear ratio?
The taller tire will likely be heavier and reduce fuel economy. Big E rated tires are typically heavy.

Back
Top Bottom