F250 rear extraction points?

XJINTX

I have a 2009 F250 with a FWC installed. Heading to Padre Island National Seashore for some beach camping. Will be with a couple other vehicles (Jeeps).

I was just wondering what options there are for any aftermarket extraction points besides replacement bumpers?

Has factory tow hooks in front but notta in rear.

THANKS!

If the pull can be pretty close to straight-on then you can use a receiver hitch as-is. Just feed the strap into the receiver and slide the pin thru the eyelet. If the pull is angled enough to pull the strap into contact with any of the edges of the receiver then that's not such a good plan as the edge can cut the strap. A simple shackle slider (bought or made) for the receiver hitch is the best path forward.

Or, if you happen to have a pintle hitch (the type without a ball!) you can use it instead. Open the pintle & drop the strap's eyelet over the hook, then close.

Be sure that you have an appropriately sized strap for your rig. I carry a 30' X 3" strap rated for some absurd weight in our CTD. I also carry a 30' long double eyeleted pull rope made from 3/4" Amsteel for when a dynamic strap isn't what is needed.

129_1206_01%2Blow_buck_bonanza%2Bhitch_pin_stuck

img_140711_2_6b7907c107e21e6d4f88774e0427ca19.jpg

Depending on your vehicle, you may be able to add recovery points like this without buying a whole new bumper. This is on an FJ.

img_140711_4_984ed79e90f9046d11ffb109bfcd09bf.jpg

This is much less safe than just using the receiver pin method above.

Not-a-rated-recovery-point.jpg

After you hit the beach and you pass the "4x4 only beyond this point" sign, be very careful the sand can be really soft especially after long dry spells. Most of the locals
who fish there run 33's on jeeps etc, the bigger rigs(read heavier) run 35's and bigger. Be ready to air down if needed. If the tide is out the sand will be packed and you can run along the waters edge all the way to Mansfield jetty. Be wary of getting stuck there during high tide as it can force you up into the dunes. If the water is green to the beach surf fishing is excellent.

On the Outer Banks of NC I've used the rear hitch with success.
As said above remember to air down and you should be fine...

XJINTX said:
I have a 2009 F250 with a FWC installed. Heading to Padre Island National Seashore for some beach camping. Will be with a couple other vehicles (Jeeps).

I was just wondering what options there are for any aftermarket extraction points besides replacement bumpers?

Has factory tow hooks in front but notta in rear.

THANKS!
I wouldn't count on the Jeeps if your stuck up to your axle.

The receiver with the D-ring is the best way to go. The hitch is rated at ~5,000 lbs. Nothing else on the rear of the truck is.

ETA: by the way, don't use the pin through the strap. The pin is (probably) not rated for ~5,000 lbs. and will bend/break.

Ace! said:
The receiver with the D-ring is the best way to go. The hitch is rated at ~5,000 lbs. Nothing else on the rear of the truck is.

ETA: by the way, don't use the pin through the strap. The pin is (probably) not rated for ~5,000 lbs. and will bend/break.
What?

The OEM hitch on my Super Duty is rated for 12,000 pounds.
If the pin is not rated for that amount the the hitch wouldn't be as well.

Try to get a bent pin out and let me know if you still think it's a good idea. Pulling from the center of the pin is not the same as the force on the pin when pulling a trailer.

Not all pins are created equal. It's much better to buy the appropriate receiver hitch d-ring where the load on the pin is not centered.

Years ago when that idea popped up on Expi I did the Engineering calcs on a 5/8" OD hitch pin and concluded that you'd have to really, really yank HARD on it to bend it. A really bad stuck is probably not the time or place to use just the pin, but then the yank probably won't be straight enough in a situation like that to consider it anyway.
For a more simple "just need a little help" kind of tug I wouldn't worry about it.

So, why not just carry the proper tool for the job, which can sit in the receiver most of the time anyway (rhetorical question)? No reason not to have a hitch mounted d-ring that won't bend the pin. There are numerous posts online of people having bent pins and the difficulty removing them. I have had to hammer one out.

I towed a guy out of a mud hole once with a swing set chain he had on hand it slightly bent the pin and I had a hell of a time getting it out. Not gonna do that again

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Great idea, unless its in one of the other trucks....
I'm speaking purely from the observation of others, never done anything like that myself.... ;)

I'm not saying it's without its problems, just that in a pinch it can work for a light tug.

FWIW though, I never leave those in place. I now own a very nice black powder-coated HD 8t WLL shackle that I found, and then by backing up some distance found the pin for on a dirt road in Utah. The slider w/o a shackle is nearly useless, and I prefer to keep things like that together.

Back
Top Bottom