FABRIC ON NEW FOUR WHEEL Pop-Up's

Coop

Advanced Member
Hello! I'm a new member to the FOUR WHEEL Camper forum.
I own about a 20 year old KEYSTONE model Four Wheel camper.
The Keystone is an extended bed model (9' long) that Four Wheel first
built back when they started up business in Colorado. It was discontinued
many, many years ago. I do not think they've built an extended model
since
Anyway ! The fabric in my Keystone is the same material and light tan
color as that in smileyd's photos.
While still in pretty good shape, I'd like to replace it in the next year
or so.
I've never cared for the gray color of the new fabric the factory is using
now, figuring it must make the inside of the camper appear very dark!
However, looking at some of the photos posted on this forum, in some
of the interior shots it appears the fabric color on the inside is in fact a ...light tan.
Is this the case? And... would appreciate any observations and/or
likes/dislikes regarding the new fabric. Particularly if anyone out there
has had experience with both materials. Thanks!

just fyi the keystone is a current product

i was over at FWC and the keystone is alive and well as a current product today. take a look at their web site.

i was over at FWC and the keystone is alive and well as a current product today. take a look at their web site.

Isn't that the one they just re-added to the line last year?

Well! ... I'll be? Yeah ...I guess they have re-introduced the Keystone?
Carries a pretty hefty price tag now! I paid five grand for mine back late
1990. Although...I got to admit, that seemed like a chunk of change back then. They had discontinued building it at that time because when I called the factory to order one they said they were no longer available. Not being built anymore. I was really disappointed at the the time. Anyway, I got a call from the factory a short time later saying that they had received a call from a Keystone owner saying he wanted to sell his year old unit. They put me in touch with him. Only problem was ... he was in Lancaster, Texas, I was in Campbell, California !!! I wanted the roomier Keystone for the type and longevity of travel I planned to do, so ... via photos and a VCR tape he sent me I could see it was in the excellent, like new condition he said it was, so we... shook hands... on a deal over the telephone! The fella' said he'd definitely keep it until I got there, so I took a few days off work and drove to Lancaster,Texas in my GMC pick-up to get the camper. And that's how I came by my...Keystone.
Regarding the color of the interior surface of the gray outer fabric. What lead me to ask the question was looking at two of the photos in the Four Wheel Camper photo gallery. Both are entitled ...Four Wheel Camper Interior.
It sure looks like a lighter tan color over the stove and sink in them.
Who posted those photos? What are we looking at there? Does anyone know? Guess I could always call the factory and ...ask!!

keystone fabric

I am not sure what type of fabric FWC is using now on the Keystone. You might give them a call and ask for some recent photos and a cost to replace your liner.

We are currently using the grey material that we did at FWC and with the windows open there is a lot of light in the camper. If you would like us to give you a cost of replacement, just give me a call.

Okay! The light colored material I'm seeing is the artic pac liner...huh?
Thanks for clearing that up.

Benburnett ... Went to your website. Interesting to note that you are building
what appears to be a camper similar to those built by FWC, is that right?
Sounds as though you were once with FWC as well? What made you break away?Are you doing anything a bit different than FWC?
Just curious is all, it's interesting.
Okay! If I should decide to do anything about fabric replacement I'll give you a call. As a matter of fact the aluminum skin on my rig shows the rigors and scars of many a mile along narrow, overgrown tree and scrub lined trails, and it's in the back of my mind that I will have it re-skinned one day as well.

With regard the old tan fabric which I keep on about. For those of you haven't had any experience with the older FWC campers. (Pre' current gray material).
The early tan material, while perhaps not being near as durable and strong as the current stuff, is a more friendly natural color, and being somewhat translucent, I feel made the camper feel, particularly inside, warmer, cozier and just plain ... brighter!
It shows with a cheery warm orange glow outside at night, from the lights being on inside! A welcoming homing beacon when you're out taking that late night hike. It would even glow inside at night with a bright full moon.
But the nicest is the bright orange warmth and glow inside in the mornings given off by the rising sun!
I'll miss it if I have no choice but to go with the new! But I'm going to do a whole lot more looking for an alternative before I decide to do something.
With reasonable care my fabric has held up for nigh on 20 years. I'd gladly trade off a few years wear for something a lot more friendly and appealing than the current stuff FWC is using.
Any camper material vendors/suppliers out there anywhere ???

liner

I was the owner of FWC from 94 to 01. Sold the company and other business's that I had at the time and retired. Short story is that I got sucked into a stock scam and lost everything.

Couple of old employee's approached me and wanted to start building campers again and here we are.

We build basically the same camper that we used too. There are some small changes that we have made but not something that the average customer would notice just by looking at them.

I agree with you about the old fabric. Just doesn't hold up as long as the new stuff and it tended to mildew bad if you let if go at all. Once the mildew started in the insulation of that liner, it was pretty well done for. We haven't found a replacement for what we are using right now that I feel would hold up as well or as long. We are always looking for something new though.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call anytime.

Fabric...

I talked to Chicali in the FWC shop and they quote me a price of $1000 for a new sideliner. I do not know what fabric they are currently using nor do I know if they are doing the outside window cover. He said that I would have to make an appointment and they could do it in a day. I think the breakdown was $450 labor and the rest is material.
When I get closer to having it done I will do more research to decide who to have it done by. I live in New Mexico so it involves a trip there and a wait while it is done.
I could keep patching and dealing with the leaks etc. but feel that it is in our best interest to have it replaced. We are looking forward to less water inside with the outside window covers which I do not have.
I sure do agree with Coopcoyote though regarding the tan color which I do have now.....I like it. An upside though would be less conspicuity with the grey. No one would be able to detect you were camped if you were in stealth mode.
Brian

New liner

Just to let you have some options, we can match the price that FWC gave you for a new liner. Ours would be grey though and would have the outside flaps on it.

It would take the guys about 1/2 a day to get it done once they started on it.

Fabric liner....

Then you are who will do it when we are ready later this year, Ben. I do want the outside flaps and I don't think FWC does the outside flaps any more according to what I am reading here.
Thanks for the competitive bid, Ben.
Brian

liner

Thank you. We would appreciate your business. Just let us know a couple of weeks ahead of time when you would like to schedule the appointment so that we can have the liner made and ready for you.

I know FWC doesn't use the outside flaps currently. They might put them on though if you asked them too. It is really not that much extra work to do.

while you are in the neighborhood

Brian,

We live kind of between Woodland and Sacarmento. We enjoyed your photos of your trip south and would like to hear your stories. Maybe when you get the new fabric, we can get together? I sent you a private message you can respond to.

Ted

Ted.....you bet we can. I would be delighted. I'll check for that email.

Dusty......thanks for the link and I thoroughly enjoyed that Dodge Ram camper story.....he really did it up......I will for sure make a set of the window awnings....
Brian

Awning Idea

Greetings,
Looks like an interesting design for an awning. I was going to try something similar but not sure my Velcro will hold much any more. However, I have an A&E awning on the window (passenger) side of our Granby and run a simple line from each end of the flap poles (bottom edge) to a single line which gets tied off at the extended awning. I replaced the rotted out wood flap material with bamboo from the driveway marker (for snow up here in the "High Country") poles readily available. They do flop around a bit in wind but don't seem to be the worse for wear.
The lines just get tucked beneath the flaps when I drop the top or drop the flaps in heavy wind (very rare) or rolled up into them if I don't deploy them.
Obviously doesn't work for the non A&E side though!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom