Factory monitor panel on 2016 Fleet

SCUD

Advanced Member
Noob question.

No manual came with the factory TANKS/BATTERY monitor panel on my 2016 Fleet. I realize this is a rudimentary device, but can anyone tell me what the battery L, F, G, and C markings under the 4 lights are meant to indicate? My guess is Low, Fair, Good, and Charging or Charged, but are there any voltages associated with these indicators?

None worth mentioning. I use the display only for fresh water amount. If you have the Zamp solar charge controller, it can display the voltage accurately. It will be the voltage of any charging source like the Iota converter, solar, or truck alternator or the battery if no charging source is present.

Use a DMM to measure the battery directly. I got a cheap one at Harbor Freight to leave in the camper when they had a coupon.
Paul

An earlier thread identified the panel in the 2013 Fleet as a KIB Enterprises M1106. I called KIB's 800 number a few minutes ago and spoke with the parts department (Bill), who told me the labels and ranges are:

LOW up to 11.2 volts

FAIR 11.2 to 11.7 volts

GOOD 11.7 to 12.5 volts

CHARGE 12.5 volts and above.

(figures are nominal)

Bill was a super-nice guy and very willing to help. The KIB toll-free number is 800-250-7051. I note the panels are shown in some contexts as being made by KIB Enterprises but their web site says KIB Electronics.

PS- please note I called about a KIB M1106 panel. I can't confirm that's good info about what's used in a 2013 Fleet or still used in a 2016 Fleet (or other FWC models).

I have had those type of monitors in my past toy hauler and other campers and found them wanting. They never really give you an exact reading as you don't know what could be running at the time to change the voltage. Several of us have added a timetric 2030 rv battery monitor and solved all the guess work as well as tell you how much power you have left in the batteries. Felt like going from driving a car and thinking you have enough fuel left in the tank to knowing how much fuel is left in the tank. I don't worry about my furnace or fridge shutting off in the night anymore as I can plan accordingly. But either way congrats on the new camper and welcome about the forum.

I understand that that there are more effective ways of measuring battery voltages. At some point I may get a Zamp or Trimetric. That's not what I asked for.

Old Crow, thank you for your research and the link. That is exactly what I was looking for. My panel is an M1106.

Scott

Hey, Scott--

Until you get something more sophisticated, you might want to keep an eye on voltage levels with an inexpensive digital voltage display in one of your 12v power sockets (if you're not already doing so).

I have one like this Innova model. They call it a Battery and Charging System Monitor but it just displays the voltage at the socket and you have to interpret what that means. But it's better than guessing what the LEDs indicate.

My Innova has been reasonably durable but it has come apart at the tip. That black plastic piece on the end has screwed itself out a couple of times over the years. I should put some threadlocker on it (just don't glue it, though, as there's a fuse in there you may need to change sometime).

I also like that I can take it to the truck (unlike a hard-wired one) and see what it's battery and alternator are doing.

The battery voltage aspect of the built-in monitor panel is not very useful. I'd recommend installing a TriMetric. The water level part is somewhat more useful, but it has low resolution and I hear that it's not very reliable. It is a pretty simple project to cut a vertical slot in the cabnetry so that the wall of the tank is visible and the actual water level can be seen.

- Bernard

Old Crow,
when you use your Innova "Battery and Charging System Monitor" in a 12v. socket, you said, "you have to interpret what that means"... could you offer more details about your "interpretation" of its reading?

looks like a inexpensive tool to assist the current led lights that are the installed monitor in Fleets... thanks...

You guys have it all wrong (or maybe I do, but my method has positive results).....

L: Long Island Ice Tea
F: French 75 (or 77 if you like)
G: Gin and Tonic
C: Cabernet

scappoosebrad said:
Old Crow,
when you use your Innova "Battery and Charging System Monitor" in a 12v. socket, you said, "you have to interpret what that means"... could you offer more details about your "interpretation" of its reading?

looks like a inexpensive tool to assist the current led lights that are the installed monitor in Fleets... thanks...
I have that same meter and it does come with a chart to interpret the readings.
Here is another good guideline:

0bcRplW.jpg

Rotti,
Thanks for the chart...numbers very close to a chart I use to monitor my deep cycle boat batteries (for electric motor)...

what I was specifically curious about was, does the Innova "monitor" inserted in a 12v. plug (inside the cabin I assume) give the same readings a a voltage meter directly off the batteries? or is "something" lost? (again a newbie about most things electrical especially regarding solar power)...

to answer my own question, I guess you could compare each measurement for awhile @ 100%, 80%, 60%, etc., then make any adjustments if your Innova monitor readings were different...

scappoosebrad said:
<snip>

what I was specifically curious about was, does the Innova "monitor" inserted in a 12v. plug (inside the cabin I assume) give the same readings a a voltage meter directly off the batteries? or is "something" lost? (again a newbie about most things electrical especially regarding solar power)...

to answer my own question, I guess you could compare each measurement for awhile @ 100%, 80%, 60%, etc., then make any adjustments if your Innova monitor readings were different...
I see about a tenth of a volt difference between measuring voltage at the 12-volt receptacle versus measuring the voltage at the battery terminals. That's putting the Innova in the 12 volt receptacle, then taking it to the battery and plugging it into an adapter clamped to the battery terminals and comparing the readings. But it's a consistent reading so I just add a tenth to the reading from the receptacle. When it matters, I measure at the terminals with my voltmeter. That one-tenth difference may not be the case for others.

Old Crow said:
Hey, Scott--

Until you get something more sophisticated, you might want to keep an eye on voltage levels with an inexpensive digital voltage display in one of your 12v power sockets (if you're not already doing so).

I have one like this Innova model. They call it a Battery and Charging System Monitor but it just displays the voltage at the socket and you have to interpret what that means. But it's better than guessing what the LEDs indicate.

My Innova has been reasonably durable but it has come apart at the tip. That black plastic piece on the end has screwed itself out a couple of times over the years. I should put some threadlocker on it (just don't glue it, though, as there's a fuse in there you may need to change sometime).

I also like that I can take it to the truck (unlike a hard-wired one) and see what it's battery and alternator are doing.
Thanks for the link to Innova! Mine arrived today, works like a champ!

Back
Top Bottom