Fall Colors (Sierra East Side)

Cort

Captain Moderation
Hello All,

Have not posted in some time but have been keeping up with all the great trip reports and posts. I have gotten out a lot this summer, mostly in far nor cal (Trinity, Cal Salman and Klamath Drainages). Feeling the pull to get back to the my roots on the east side. Wondering what folks are seeing for fall colors. I'm sure with the drought its going to happen early this year especially at altitude. Planning on heading from Arcata area over 299 and the 89...maybe spend some time in the gold lakes area but my ultimate goal is to get downto Bridgeport and the like. Wondering what folks have been seeing for colors.

Cheers,

Cort

Passed by Conway summit on Tuesday (9-22-2015) and there is a whole lot of green, but there is some small patches that are turning yellow. Keep a eye out, could be early October this year??

I was up in the Bishop Creek drainage this weekend...most trees are still pretty green, however there is some yellow and some of the patches that are restricted to talus fields have already lost most of there leaves. I heard last week that some drainages out of Rock Creek (back toward Mt Morgan) had some good color. It's hard to tell what the drought will do, but it does seem that some of the stands that are on drier ground to begin with or losing leaves early but my guess is it will vary by location. We are finally getting a break for the smoke.

Hey Cort, good to hear from you. Our schedule is a little tight in October but keep us in the loop as to your whereabouts. Might be able to hook up for a day or two on the east side.

We drove over to Markleeville for dinner this evening and traveled over Carson Pass and through Hope Valley. Aspens are golden on Carson but at least half the groves have dropped all their leaves. Color is just starting in Hope Valley but, again, around half the groves have dropped leaves. There will be color and we would still go. Fall weather in the mountains is wonderful and sure beats staying home.

We're seeing the aspen leaves drop early here in NM, too. There was color last week in the higher elevations around the Pecos, Hondo and Red rivers (sorry, no trip report planned as I didn't take many pics). The aspens are starting to turn in the Sacramento Mts., too, but many are already shedding leaves.

Spent a few nights up in the Jackson Meadows area this last week, fall colors all around. Was still able to launch boat, a lot of deer hunters in the area.

Back
Top Bottom