Fall Fish'n

CPT Davenport

El Pescador
Gotta love this time of year on the lake. Next to no one on the water, and plenty of 20"+ rainbows. I found an awesome, stainless, marine kettle grill that someone left next to the dumpsters in perfect condition! It is coal fired and not really practical while underway but makes for a great BBQ while at camp.

As crazy as last winter was, it sure has been nice to see our reservoirs topped off and the fisheries thriving.

Attachments

• IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 71902059042__6A2A7290-EB02-4AAE-AB83-50FD81D7BC92.jpg
    71902059042__6A2A7290-EB02-4AAE-AB83-50FD81D7BC92.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 93
Nice fish! Great score on the BBQ. I have seen campers that used a marine mount attached to a jack mount, that might be a way to BBQ on boatless expeditions.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nice fish! Great score on the BBQ. I have seen campers that used a marine mount attached to a jack mount, that might be a way to BBQ on boatless expeditions.
Hahaha! I mentally fabricated the very jack bracket mount I'm gonna make that night. Great idea!

I would also like to add that I was reluctant to use my 1500 for this camping/towing rig. It has been well over a year now and I have dragged the tinny from high sierra lakes to the rivers and oceans of Oregon and everywhere in between. She excelerates well, stops well (tested on a couple panic stop situations) and powers up the grades with ease. Yes, I have done some significant upgrades to the truck for the load. Would a 2500/3500 be better? Yes.

That said, I'm very happy with the set up and enjoy the 16-18 mpg. I have 0 complaints about my current set up and performance. Hoping to get the rig up to Washington and BC this summer!

Yes, a heavy duty truck would be more robust for towing and hauling. Mr Gray, our new F350 with 330 miles on the odometer is getting over 19 MPG, has a payload of around 4,400 pounds, and can tow an ungodly amount. I think you would be happy with either a 3/4 or 1 ton, but I recommend the 1 ton.

Yes, a heavy duty truck would be more robust for towing and hauling. Mr Gray, our new F350 with 330 miles on the odometer is getting over 19 MPG, has a payload of around 4,400 pounds, and can tow an ungodly amount. I think you would be happy with either a 3/4 or 1 ton, but I recommend the 1 ton.
19 MPG is astonishing!

That is empty, but still for a truck that size, as you say… astonishing.
similar here… 15.5 us mpg fully loaded, going like stink. I think 19 empty would be easy, never tried though, since the camper is always on there. ;-)

My wife is an arborist and had a training/certification to attend this week out of town. A sensible man would use his home alone time to catch up on chores about the house. I guess I'm not sensible. I used the time as an invitation to go find and catch fish.

Nice weekday getaway at the lake. Two things came to mind.

First: I have only owned my camper for less than two years. I have used the heck out of it in that time. I'm continuously amazed at the comfort and amenities these pop up cabovers provide. Not only a solid shelter, but warmth, a galley for cook'n , a warm shower after a long day covered in fish slime and blood, and even a little treat of ice cream in the freezer after dinner :) I just think it's awesome that such a cozy little house can launch a boat.

Second: There are some amazing folks in this group that are in their 70s and still sending it hard. You are my inspiration! I can only hope and dream that in 15 years I can still seek out the wonder of this world and partake. For now any chance I can whittle off, I will graciously embrace the opportunity to play and enjoy.

Time to fire up the smoker!

Attachments

• IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3638.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3626.jpg
    IMG_3626.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 50
I turned these beautifully colored fillets into another round of smoked trout candy last night. SO yummy!

Attachments

• IMG_3647.jpg
    IMG_3647.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom