Fall in Vermont

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
My wife and I are considering a fall trip to Vermont for a week. We are thinking about mid-September to early October. When is the best time to view fall colors? What campsites, State Parks, dispersed sites, etc. would you recommend? We like to find small towns that we can shop and always are looking for local micro-breweries to enjoy the local beer. We would appreciate your recommendations. JD

My Wife and I did a trip in 2011 (tenting), leaving Ottawa to be in Vermont for the second weekend in October The colors were really nice that year. Most of the state parks were closed, and so we stayed in private campgrounds. We spent about 6 weeks heading south from there (NY, NJ,, MD, Smithfielld, VA. then to the western part of VA, south to Smokey Mountains in NC. Then headed west (mostly off I-40). The route west permitted us to get "fall" colors through most of the states. We really enjoyed NM. We got home to BC in late Nov. At the time, we were not aware of WTW, and did not take notes, Although Vermont, Western VA, NC, and NM really stood out from the rest for color. We found most state parks that permitted camping were closed for the season at that time of year.

Hey Longhorn , went to Maine last fall, too early. Went to Niagria falls and Vermont. Give me a call sometime and i'll give you some roads we took. We stayed in nice park in the antiarondacks. Can not think of it at the moment. Mitch 812-877-7878 [sp]

Peak foliage in Vermont usually runs the first two weeks in October depending on the weather. There are a number of State Parks that stay open until Columbus Day weekend. Button Bay and Branbury are on the western side of the State with acces to Middlebury, Vergennes and Burlington. Smuggler's Notch and Little River access the Stowe/Waterbury area. The Vermont State Parks site gives good information on location of parks and things to do in the area. I've never been to Quechee in the southern part of the State but friends say it's nice. The National Forest also has boondocking sites. Fall's a busy time in VT (our bread and butter) with lots going on. We have lots of microbreweries all over the State. Also don't forget to sample our cheddar cheese, local wines and Dakin Farm. Let me know if you decide to come. treat you to a beer.

Longhorn, we were in VT this year Oct 5-8th and were considerably before the peak colors. Sure, we found some sweet color here and there, but mid to late October was better this year. We found some nice dirt backroads just south of Stowe, beginning on the route to Mossy Glen Falls. We traveled south via 100, which was a fine drive, past Killington and stayed in West Dover at 1800 Century barn converted into a comfy hotel (shoulder season prices were 1/2 off, FYI). We were in a rental car, so I don't have any camping info to share.

Lighthawk said:
Longhorn, we were in VT this year Oct 5-8th and were considerably before the peak colors. Sure, we found some sweet color here and there, but mid to late October was better this year. We found some nice dirt backroads just south of Stowe, beginning on the route to Mossy Glen Falls. We traveled south via 100, which was a fine drive, past Killington and stayed in West Dover at 1800 Century barn converted into a comfy hotel (shoulder season prices were 1/2 off, FYI). We were in a rental car, so I don't have any camping info to share.
Andy we made almost that same trip in 2005. Traveling Rt.100 south. The color we ran into was very good in most places.
Some of the best areas are the ones with Sugar Maples,as they IMO turn the best color.
Frank

mitch h said:
Hey Longhorn , went to Maine last fall, too early. Went to Niagria falls and Vermont. Give me a call sometime and i'll give you some roads we took. We stayed in nice park in the antiarondacks. Can not think of it at the moment. Mitch 812-877-7878 [sp]
Thanks Mitch. I sent you a private message. Look forward to talking to you. Regards, jd

Hello there, I live a few miles from the Vermont border. We have a 2011 Eagle. The best time of year on average is around October 10th. There are Fall festivals all over the place (Ashfield Mass. on Columbus day weekend is great) From there drive up route 112 MA to route 100 in VT to route 30 VT come down to Brattleboro VT there is a brewery on the Connecticut river in town looking at the hills. There is a very very sweet St Park in southern NH called Pillsbury St park (their last weekend is I think then) but check here for VT camp areas http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/camping.htm Just know if you start in the north and wrk your way south you'll get the best color over a 2 week period. Also know that State campgrounds close around then as the freeze is coming. Some places allow you to camp with no services (very few) other than a pit toilet. Have to call the actual State parks to find out. I'll rack my brains for other sites and add later if they come to mind. New England in the fall is great VT, NH and western Mass (Berkshires) back roads are a joy. But also know folks drive staring up at leaves ... leaf peepers... drive ya nuts.

buckland said:
Hello there, I live a few miles from the Vermont border. We have a 2011 Eagle. The best time of year on average is around October 10th. There are Fall festivals all over the place (Ashfield Mass. on Columbus day weekend is great) From there drive up route 112 MA to route 100 in VT to route 30 VT come down to Brattleboro VT there is a brewery on the Connecticut river in town looking at the hills. There is a very very sweet St Park in southern NH called Pillsbury St park (their last weekend is I think then) but check here for VT camp areas http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/camping.htm Just know if you start in the north and wrk your way south you'll get the best color over a 2 week period. Also know that State campgrounds close around then as the freeze is coming. Some places allow you to camp with no services (very few) other than a pit toilet. Have to call the actual State parks to find out. I'll rack my brains for other sites and add later if they come to mind. New England in the fall is great VT, NH and western Mass (Berkshires) back roads are a joy. But also know folks drive staring up at leaves ... leaf peepers... drive ya nuts.
Thanks. I have booked 3 state parks starting with Grand Isle, Smuggler Notch, & Branbury, and a stop in Cooperstown and Niagra Falls OT. We will probably drive up to Stowe and take the gondola up into the mountains, explore Stowe and Middlebury.

Sounds like you have a great itinerary... You will enjoy the roads... winding through the hills. Folks are a little reserved but friendly. Due the long winters!!!

JD, if you visit or camp at Smugglers' Notch, don't forget to go to VT's highest point, Mt Mansfield. There is a private road (fee) in a nearby ski resort that goes to a parking lot on the long, high ridge that eventually leads to Manfield's summit. Even if you don't go all the way, a hike through the alpine zone with its stunted trees and plants, not to mention the views, makes the trip worthwhile.

A very windy day atop Mt Mansfield in Oct 2011.
mm01essc.jpg

Doug Stewart said:
JD, if you visit or camp at Smugglers' Notch, don't forget to go to VT's highest point, Mt Mansfield. There is a private road (fee) in a nearby ski resort that goes to a parking lot on the long, high ridge that eventually leads to Manfield's summit. Even if you don't go all the way, a hike through the alpine zone with its stunted trees and plants, not to mention the views, makes the trip worthwhile.

A very windy day atop Mt Mansfield in Oct 2011.
attachicon.gif
mm01essc.jpg
Stew, thanks. I will put this post in my trip folder. jd

Back
Top Bottom