Family of 4, table options?

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member
Ok, so currently a family of 3, trying to adopt up to a family of 4 at some point. I'm doing some research trying to figure out what would be the best layout option for 2 adults and 2 kiddos at a table. Table space also doubles as bed space so thats a consideration too. Camper would probably only be used 3-4 night trips at most with all of us.

Yes, I imagine that we would be eating outside 95% of the time, but rain, wind and bugs may drive us inside at times.

Think grandby sized camper, what would you do? I was originally thinking of the couch option, but that seems to encroach quite a bit on aisle space, even more so if its a bed. The front dinette seems like it would work better. The side dinette seems to be a two person only option.

Thoughts?

Kevin

I have a grandby with couch...4 can seat side by side if needed but there is little room to move around. I would imagine the couch would offer more room than the dinette does but haven't measured it off.

If indeed you intend to utilize the great outdoors most of the time, perhaps storable “TV trays” would work best. For a more permanent solution, my RV dinette measures 70” wide (E/W in a camper) and 44” deep (N/S in a camper) and converts into a small bed. It’s large enough to fit 4 adults for dinner. That would work in a Grandby sized camper if you custom built storage in the back of the camper.

Ghettofab75,
If you don't already have a Grandby, you might take a look at the ATC Cougar as it is 84" wide. I have an ATC Panther which is the same width and you can squeeze by the table.

I used to have a FWC Ranger which was basically an 8ft long Eagle. We sat 4 around the table when the weather was bad...
20161105_132820-L.jpg

Here is an aerial view of the Cougar to give you an idea...
Cougar1-M.jpg

Ghettofab75 said:
I'm doing some research trying to figure out what would be the best layout option for 2 adults and 2 kiddos at a table. Table space also doubles as bed space so thats a consideration too. Camper would probably only be used 3-4 night trips at most with all of us.
Well, for what you ask, I'd have to say Granby (or other brand) for bigger size. And front dinette for a "proper table".

We have the side couch and while I won't say the portable table is useless, I will say I can't see it being much good for kids, in part because of the small size and that it may be too easily knocked about. Plus the front dinette would make a great area to separate people and tasks (more than just eating) - helping to keep out of each others way as it were in a very small space.

Agree tho, sufficient storage space might be an issue with this layout.

And of course don't know if sleeping arrangement would work for your family ...

We sold our hawk side dinette and bought a hawk shell specially for this purpose. we have the grandby size front dinette setup so comfortably seats four and sleeps 2.

It’s a good setup for our family.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I was thinking the layout of the front dinette would help separate space a bit as far as meal prep and those eating.

How long are the front dinette seats? 36"?

As far as sleeping, the little one we have usually sleeps with us when camping anyways for now. We could even possibly do one adult in the top with two kiddos, then one adult in the dinette spot. I'm thinking as they get older they will probably want to sleep outside in a tent anyways.

Kevin

I don't even think a Grandby is big enough. I would look for a Keystone, or do all of my eating at Denny's.

cwd

The Grandby front dinette cushions are 48” long. It sits 4 adults snugly. It will give needed separation. But as the family grows the overall spacing will become challenging. Consider upsizing to the King bed slideout as well. IMO, the FD would be the only floor plan for a Family of four.

Back
Top Bottom