Fan Switch ?

remithoren

Advanced Member
Could anyone enlighten on the purpose of the white colored fan switch under the furnace and next to the vent (on 2006 Hawk). Is it an auxilary fan for the fridge? And if so when is it necessary to use?
thanx,

It controls a fan mounted behind the frig exhaust grill. If the frig is having trouble keeping cool on a hot day it will help. I haven't found the need to use it under normal conditions.

on really hot days the updraft from the burner may not be enough to draw adequate volumes of air past the "coils".
the fan is a brute force solution for moving air.

here in the sacramento valley it has been 100+ multiple days in a row...
...that fan makes a lot of diff in this kind of weather.

Can one be installed on an older camper?

Living near Herr42, something like this would be helpful for us. Our '03 did not come with something like this. Any ideas on how to retro something like this into an existing set-up?

they used a generic 12v computer fan....80mm.
its on some struts inside the upper fridge grate opening.

I dunno where they can be obtained, but there are thermostatically controlled fans made for this purpose.

Another addition to help your fridge is one of the battery-powered circulation fans inside the fridge. This and the stack fan are reported to really help in very hot weather.

Our camper doesn't have the frig. fan either, but might be a good idea for the future hot weather trips. Thanks for the computer fan idea Jim. Looks like some relief from the heat is coming to the valley this week. Stay cool.

hey remithoren

no real need to run that switch, unless you want to

we wanted to put it in for your conveience (more that anything else)

it will help cool the refrig. on hot days

BUT, there is an automatic thermostat behind the refrigerator that will turn the fan on automatically if it gets too hot for some reason

it doesn't matter if the switch inside the camper is on or off

the fan is only installed on the campers with the larger 3.0 cu.ft refrigerator/freezer.

the smaller 1.9 cu.ft refrigerator only has pleanty of venting space and doesn't call for it (not even sure there is room for one).

hope this helps with the mystery

Stan,

It's good to know that the fan will turn on automatically. What temperature does it turn on at and can it turn on when the frig is off.

It would be really nice if we had electrical and plumbing schematics for these campers to help with trouble shooting and modifications. I asked for these when I purchased my camper and all Scott could offer was a veeery rough drawing of the battery, isolator and converter.

Dick

Back
Top Bottom