Favorite Books

With the prospect of another government shutdown of public lands possible again :( , I've been looking for some new areas out there and discovered I didn't have far to look. I discovered that because the Corps of Engineers is funded differently than the other government agencies, its' campgrounds are usually not impacted by such things as shutdowns :eek: ---so-----there had to be a book somewhere that identified them ( I know from previous experience that the two CoE CG's that I know and use about were clean, had water and had hot showers-- and that's a plus so there must be more out there-right) and it's called Camping with the Corps of Engineers (6th ed.,) by S.L. Hinkie :) . They cost about $15.00 each on Amazon and are worth it with lots of maps, data and good stuff and they are small enough to carry with your maps or in your glove box. They seem to be everywhere-not just in the West but in the Midwest, South and East and they sort of remind me of the PG&E CG's, we have here in California--- where there were/are any major water projects there is a CG! While at first glance these cgs appear civilized (hot water) there are also many primitive and boat in cgs. You folks back east probably know all about the COE, but for me, it's nice to learn that there are more places to visit than the BLM/FS and the state area, so get it and enjoy it :D !

Smoke

Nice, Smoke, and thanks!

Here in NC, we have some very nice COE facilities at some flood control and water supply reservoirs which are COE projects. The CG at W. Kerr Scott Reservoir is as you describe--thoroughly modern and with nice facilities.

Interested travelers should also be aware of the many public utilities' campgrounds throughout the South and the Midwest. When I worked in Michigan's UP in another career, the regional electric utility was Wisconsin Power, and they had a considerable network of hydro reservoirs built in the 1940s to power iron and copper mines for the war effort. At least on the UP, the cgs I was most familiar with were of the primitive variety, but they were by and large located at boat ramps on a nice lake!

Foy

I thought I would bump this thread and see if there is anything new on the reading lists.

Right now I'm reading "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry, and "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey. Next on the list is "Geology of the Great Basin" by my boating friend Bill Fiero, and "Rowing to Latitude" by Jill Fredston.

What's on your list?

Oh Lonesome Dove one of my all time favorite books.
Also like and have reread it "From Sea to Shining Sea'. About the Clark family,but mostly about Lewis& Clark trip.
So many good books out there.Glad I am retired to try to get to them.
Frank

Right now reading blood and thunder. Enjoying it very much. Amazing how little Western History I was actually taught in school.

Have just started "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America" by Timothy Egan. I'm not too far in, but so far it is interesting reading. It centers around the Great Fire of 1910.

Well I had to read our own GBGuides "Monitor Range", which lead to a book on "Jack Longstreet" by Sally Zanjani, needless to say ready to head back to that country again-got all neat place names noted on my field maps. That's was for fun next year, so for serious reading just finished Tom Ricks discussion of the American Military Command since WW2 " called The Generals" . Yep, a good read and description of how our army has been since WW2 & is sort of "good troops, and NCO's with some good company, Batt. and Bgd officers, but a worthless high command ( the generals-except for a few Marshall types (thinkers), some (doers) Ike's- maybe some Pattons, Petraeus types) only interested in serving them selfs- not the troops, or national interests with no interest in strategic things, just punching their tickets. Sort of scary, they seem to never learn, just float thru the system that doesn't like the "smart" ones, just the ones that do enough not to do to badly-since they don't fire the bad ones anymore. Maybe do enough to win a battle or two, but maybe not enough to win a big war. It's almost that to be a general (one of the boys) you have to be mediocre! Didn't know any generals when I was in (63-67), knew a LTC, but he used to be an EM, and was okay, my own Majors,Capts and Warrants and Senior Sgts were fine, but doubt they made General., but the book was not about them! Makes you really want to go up into the hills and forget about it.

Smoke

Mr. Sage, go for it if you like. JanetH (one of the admin folks here) gave me the file format. I just filled in the blanks. If you would like to take on the chore to update, edit, etc., the list, please feel free to do so. I'd appreciate it as would the members here. Thanks!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Can we add to the spreadsheet that you had created?
Mr. Sage, go for it if you like. JanetH (one of the admin folks here) gave me the file format. I just filled in the blanks. If you would like to take on the chore to update, edit, etc., the list, please feel free to do so. I'd appreciate it as would the members here. Thanks!

Smokecreek1 said:
Well I had to read our own GBGuides "Monitor Range", which lead to a book on "Jack Longstreet" by Sally Zanjani,
Smoke, thanks for the tip on the Longstreet book. I also got curious about him when reading Monitor Range. :)

I've always been interested in history and reading about it while you're actually where it happened just makes it that much better. I'll have to see just how much of that spreadsheet I can get on my kindle.

A little food for thought.

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." –Mark Twain

Sarcasm, truth or both? Regardless, I still like books...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
A little food for thought.

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." –Mark Twain

Sarcasm, truth or both? Regardless, I still like books...
Yep-for me it's still books :love: over kindle-just can't bend the kindle like a page in a book. Did you ever notice the smell of of good book store filled with old books? Nothing beats that, but again I'm an archaeologist and like old things :D !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Yep-for me it's still books :love: over kindle-just can't bend the kindle like a page in a book. Did you ever notice the smell of of good book store filled with old books? Nothing beats that, but again I'm an archaeologist and like old things :D !

Smoke
The last book I bought from a 'Good Old Book Store' was one that came from a old book dealer in Chiloquin, Oregon. It reeked so badly of tobacco smoke that I had to let it air out for a year or so.

The book, which is an interesting read, is "The Tent Dwellers", by Albert Bigelow Paine. Late 1800s or early 1900s story about two dandies doing a canoe trip into the Kedgeemacoogee (spelling?) wilderness of Nova Scotia. Paine was also a Lincoln biographer, although I haven't picked up any of those titles.

And.. I prefer a book over electronics, as well.

WS, there is an old classic out there, a bit expensive ($50.00), but we used it at BLM to describe the environment, geology and history of NW Nevada and NE Ca, circa 1849 & used to compare it to the present and past environments, Gold Rush, the Journals, drawings etc of J. Goldsborough Bruff, by Read et.al, 1949 Columbia University Press (make sure you get the one that has the sketches). In 1849, Bruff (a Gov't draftsman (had copied Louis & Clark Journals for his job) and former military man), got together with some others and formed a 50 man party of adventurers and gold seekers that crossed the US from St Louis to the west coast. What made the trip so important was that he kept a daily journal complete with sketches, interviews etc, of what he saw, did and of who he met along the way. He wrote it in the military style of the day, with good tech, geographic and natural descriptions of what he saw and experienced. Had lot's of adventures.

Anyway, it's an interesting read, Bruff eventually got back home and went back to work for the Government, retired from the (public land office-for runner of the BLM) like 50 years later-died at his desk-they say. Once- in another life, I used it to put a paper together that followed his journey thru my old District, went out and found the places he stayed at, took pictures, compared the environments then and now, interesting and fun project. Along the same lines, the old Rail Road survey and military patrol reports are good places and reads to find out about what it was like out there before cattle became king!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom