Favorite Books

Been Reading War in the Wood: Combating the Marjuana Cartels on America's Public Land.

The read can be a lot of the same, but if you're unaware of what's going on in our forests it's an eye opener. The recaps of his raids are literally miles from my home in San Jose, CA. Imagine what's going on in more remote locations.

Anyone who thinks the forests are safe needs to read some of the stuff written by the game wardens. I mean in general its safer than where I live but risk free? Not quite. Its a reminder of the need to keep your eyes open and when something doesn't feel right act on it.

JHa6av8r said:
Been Reading War in the Wood: Combating the Marjuana Cartels on America's Public Land.

The read can be a lot of the same, but if you're unaware of what's going on in our forests it's an eye opener. The recaps of his raids are literally miles from my home in San Jose, CA. Imagine what's going on in more remote locations.
I just received my copy of this book a few days ago! Great minds think alike ;-)

JD Salinger's post-humous collection of works is slated to begin release this year... if any of you are 'Catcher in the Rye' fans

The Last Season by Eric Blehm. A great book about Randy Mogenson a NPS backcountry ranger in the Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We've been reading this book to each other on some raining nights on our road trip.

Wu Wei said:
The Last Season by Eric Blehm. A great book about Randy Mogenson a NPS backcountry ranger in the Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. We've been reading this book to each other on some raining nights on our road trip.
That is a good book. My best friend Nina Weisman was there working law enforcement for the NPS at the time. She was friends with Randy.

"The Last Season" was a good book. I enjoyed it as I spent a lot of time in that part of the Sierras in my youth.

"I Married The Klondike", Laura B. Burton
and by her son..
"The Last Great Gold Rush", Pierre Burton

"Reading The River - A Voyage Down the Yukon", John Hildebrand

JHa6av8r said:

I have worked with Forest Service Officers before and it amazes me what they run into on a regular basis. Situation awareness is as important now as ever.

Back on topic,

Theodore Roosevelt in the Badlands - Dry but very informative
Skunk Works: A personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed: Ben R. Rich, Leo Janos.

Some light military reading for me.. :unsure:

Rick Atkinson's "Liberation Trilogy" : An Army at Dawn, The Day of Battle, and The Guns at Last Light

Thomas E. Ricks "The Generals"

The Very Hard Way - Bert Loper and The Colorado River, Brad Dimock

Fascinating read about the early times on the Colorado. It's nice to read about the area, and those folks who made a go ove it. Wonderful sunset over Glen Canyon tonight.

Kindle warning. Before my last trip I got out the kindle and synced it up so I'd have something to read. Well I thought I did. Turns out my wifi was never connected. I never made sure the pw was correct for my new router. Oops. I had a single unread book on the kindle.

Adding a few more books from Ski's list now.

P.S. Since amazon updated my kindle I just now noticed kindle unlimited. 9.99 a month for all you can download from a limited selection (they claim over a million) of books. Unfortunately from a sampling of Ski's list the only books I found were Jack London's. First month is free though. Might be better to search by subject and see whats there.

If you're interested in a book about the early days of ranching in SE Oregon, pick up a copy of...

"Bill Kitt" by Jack Nicol

Bill Kitt was William Kittredge, an enterprising rancher who put together a large ranching empire in the early 1900s. Kittredge was the grandfather of William Kittredge the author and movie producer (A River Runs Through It, Norman Mclean) and also the grandfather of Jack Nicol. It's a folksy but well written story about the area and people.

William Kittredge is one of my favorite authors. I think I have previously posted recommendations for some of his books.

I just finished "Modoc The Tribe That Wouldn't Die" by Cheewa James. She is descended from on of the tribal members who was heavily involved in the Modoc war. Some of the Modoc kids I grew up with are mentioned in the book for their efforts to rediscover their heritage

Back
Top Bottom