Fiberglass Siding vs Regular on Hawk

Nice Looking, Easy To Wash/Wax, Easier To Add Modifications As The Surface Is Flat. I Assume It Is More Rigid If That Is A Benefit To You. It Was For Me.

I Just Wish They Had Silver Spur With The fiberglass Side...

I heard that the fiberglass is is harder to replace if damaged. I think the regular siding can be slid out as individual pieces. I do like the looks of the fiberglass siding. Would work well if you decided that a little artwork was needed on the side of your camper. Something I might have done if I had opted for the fiberglass.

Steve

For me it was fiberglass or no camper! I asked a couple of the guys working behind the scene at FWC and they both agreed that the fiberglass siding was better in so many ways. They also said that in the years since they've been installing fiberglass neither of them have seen a rig comeback in due to issues with the fiberglass. These comments were after I bought it and had brought it back for some additional work.

Like Kilroy mentioned any exterior mounted surface flanges seal really well due to the flat surface. To be honest I still don't understand how any of the exterior flanges seal to the outside of the textured and corrugated aluminum siding and can still be water tight.

2013-12-23+17.03.41.jpg

Way easier to clean off the bug splatter! My old camper had the aluminum and the white coating was starting to get thin in places. With my new camper, I keep it reasonably waxed and I just have to hit it with high powered water and the bugs come right off.

I have been told that aluminum is more durable, easier to fix.

Fibreglass adds insulation - and is certainly more aesthetically pleasing.

It would be a really tough decision for me because I really like the looks of the glass, but I take my camper places where it will get really scratched.

One of the posters on this site was commenting that it is difficult to get the scratches out.

I Beat The Brush Each Hunting Season Like A Flintstones Car Wash. Its Manzanita Dragging Down The Side And The Only Thing Which Gets Scratched Is The Tundra. They Don't Put Very Durable Paint On Them, Which Is Something I Forgot To Mention In Your Other Thread About The Tundra Pickups...

I agree...the paint of the truck is much more likely to get scratched than the fiberglass siding. Like Kilroy, I too haven't seen any issues with scratching of the fiberglass on my camper.

I think it was Hadley that said ... wear and tear such as scratches and dents just means you are out using your stuff. I have to remember this when I look at the hail damage on the roof of my Hawk.

FWC told me the weight difference between the fiberglass and aluminum siding was neglible. Also, since the fiberglass is solid underneath, it can't be dented like the aluminum siding.

Thanks guy's. I have been leaning towards the glass for many of the reasons stated. As for scratches, not worried as it's part of using it. When I was still on the ranch first thing I did with a new truck was to head for brush and get some cowboy pin striping and that took care of that. Thanks for all the good info. :)

One more consideration. The RV industry is rapidly moving toward composite cored construction. FWC may or may not be headed in that direction in the future? It's good stuff, lite and even potentially stronger. I remember when folks said you could not build a large boat hull from glass, that it could never be strong enough. The same comments were made later with boat spars and rigging systems. Technology marches on when it converges with price-point. IF they ever do, future models will have much the same outward appearance as the glass. If so, will glass appear newer, longer? Better re-sale? Who knows,.. Just a thought.

I have metal sides with no issues or problems. This one is a toss up. If you have a few extra bucks and it pleases your eye,.. get the glass.

"cowboy pinstripes",... I LIKE IT!!!

I like FG as well in terms of insulation value and looks....not sure if its worth the $650. Repair wise, I can't imagine repairing FG to be that difficult as long as you have the right color match paint.

Back
Top Bottom