Filling Hot Water Tank

Stalking Light said:
Serious ouch. I've been lucky that the first thing I do when I set up camp is start the pump so the few times I've forgotten to fill up the hot water heater were taken care of by accident.

Good routine and of course hind sight is always 20-20 but we always fill our hot water heater tank when we fill our main tank...that puts an extra 6 gallons on-board. Honestly I never thought about the possibility of running the hot water heater without water in the tank; bad assumption on my part thinking that there would be an auto shut off to eliminate what happened to you. Live and learn.

Don't beat yourself up Longhorn we have all stepped in it one time or another!

Phil

I've used the city water port since the camper was new. I was always under the impression that was the proper way to fill the tank after talking with Tom at the inaugural OX-East.

I simply attach the hose to the city port, ensure both valves under the sink are open (parallel to water lines), crack the faucet valves open (to vent the tanks)...and fill.

I did not know that the hot water tank filled first, but, did know, this method fills both tanks full.

I was also briefed to turn the water pump on, open the hot water faucet slightly, and allow the pump to run until water flowed out of the faucet to ensure the hot water tank was full before turning on the hot water heater. I guess I now know why! Longhorn...sorry for the "word" didn't get to you sooner.

I have laminated a checklist and affixed to the inside of the pump door. I also noted the value positions for filling tanks and normal ops.

I drain my hose to max extent possible and do not attach the ends. I want the hose to breath and allow any remaining moisture to evaporate. Mold grows very quickly in warm, humid environs.

The first time I used the city water port I also was running the hot water heater. On my Eagle the city water port is directly above the hot water heater so I almost melted the hose. I haven't used the city water port since although I did get a brass fitting to extend the hose out of harm's way. I rarely camp anywhere with city water anyway so I mostly forget the hookup is there.

I almost always run the pump when I'm filling my main tank as a part of my pre trip routine and that fills both tanks but I forgot a time or two.

Back
Top Bottom