Filling Propane cylinder

Beach

My Hawk uses the horizontal mounted 20lb cylinder. Is it correct to fill it in the vertical position?

If is being filled while mounted on the camper keep it situated the same way as mounted. If you unstrap it and hand it to a fill person or self fill it (in your state) outside the camper you'll keep it upright to allow for property venting of gasses. You'll know when it's full when liquid spills out the vent hole. The valve (and vent)just has to be on top when filling...

Beach said:
My Hawk uses the horizontal mounted 20lb cylinder. Is it correct to fill it in the vertical position?
It is correct.

My new tank says "Caution Fill in Vertical Position Only"

I also have a horizontal tank and always take it out of the camper to fill.
The way my tank is in the "box" it has to be taken out.
I also weigh the tank before filling to get an idea of how much is still in the tank.
Info on the tank reads,#20 tare. Last fill up the "full" weight was about #39 that's almost 4 gal and the gauge was not all the way into the full zone. A full tank should weigh in at #44 if you use the tank weight plus 5 gal @ 4.86 per gal.
If you don't have a gauge or don't want to trust one weighing might be a more positive way of knowing where you stand on propane.
Frank.

PS this may be TOO much rambling.

ski3pin said:
My new tank says "Caution Fill in Vertical Position Only"
My 8-yr-old tank says the same thing.

On the subject of "old tank"...(another aspect of "filling" -- just a little off-topic):
I recalled hearing that propane tanks have an expiration date beyond which they won't be re-filled (until they've been re-certified). So I took a look at my camper propane tank and I see "8-05" stamped on it, and I guess that's August 2005 -- the manufacture date. And I just-now looked up and found that (in the USA) they have a 12-year lifetime before re-certification is required, so my tank has about 3 years left...3 years of filling vertically, dispensing horizontally. ;)

MarkBC said:
My 8-yr-old tank says the same thing.

On the subject of "old tank"...(another aspect of "filling" -- just a little off-topic):
I recalled hearing that propane tanks have an expiration date beyond which they won't be re-filled (until they've been re-certified). So I took a look at my camper propane tank and I see "8-05" stamped on it, and I guess that's August 2005 -- the manufacture date. And I just-now looked up and found that (in the USA) they have a 12-year lifetime before re-certification is required, so my tank has about 3 years left...3 years of filling vertically, dispensing horizontally. ;)
How close do you think the people refilling our tanks look?
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
I guess it would depend on whether the propane filler is a responsible conscientious guy -- or a doofus. ;)
I have an old -- expired -- tank in the garage...maybe I'll take it around to local propane-filling stations and see who I can catch!

(kinda like when State Authorities -- in Oregon, anyway -- send underage folks around to places that sell beer/liquor to test if they get carded.)

MarkBC said:
I guess it would depend on whether the propane filler is a responsible conscientious guy -- or a doofus. ;)
I have an old -- expired -- tank in the garage...maybe I'll take it around to local propane-filling stations and see who I can catch!

(kinda like when State Authorities -- in Oregon, anyway -- send underage folks around to places that sell beer/liquor to test if they get carded.)
Mark,I had an old tank at my cabin (pre new valve) and needed to get it filled. A local LP supplier told me he would fill it that one time but I needed to get the new type tank.
I think that if your tank is nice and new looking,not rusty and covered with crud the filling station most likely won't check the age date of the tank.
Frank

+1 above.

I've been filling an old (nice looking) bbq tank that way for 5 years. They never look when it looks new.

Yeah...you're probably right -- most of those propane fillers ARE doofuses. :D

The thing I'd worry about is if I need to refill my tank while on a trip -- not at home -- that I might encounter a place where they follow the regs -- and I couldn't get it filled. But I won't worry about that for at least 3 years. ;)

I think Frank is right. If it looks good they'll fill it. Of course it has to be OPD. Even a doofus won't fill a non opd tank ;)

Incorrect, My bbq tank from my post above is a non-OPD valve. I can post a picture in a bit if you want. Even in Oregon believe it out not, people will still not look and just fill... the more remote you get (po-dunk) the better the chances of filling an old tank!

KILR0Y said:
Incorrect, My bbq tank from my post above is a non-OPD valve. I can post a picture in a bit if you want. Even in Oregon believe it out not, people will still not look and just fill... the more remote you get (po-dunk) the better the chances of filling an old tank!
That works as long as the filling station has the adapter for the old valve.
When the change was made to the newer "safety" valve the threads were changed. That shouldn't be a problem IMO those valves and the tanks they are on are very old now. I would think most every one has a newer tank.
Frank

The problem is internal rust. I was told aluminum tanks do not have to be recertified as they do not rust.

I sure wish the readout on them was more accurate, although with a 2-way fridge we usually only top it off a couple times a year, using no more than a full 20 pounds in that period, less in the Summer obviously.

My horizontal tank is always filled in vertical position also.

I'm coming up on the expiration date of my horizontal 20# tank. New horizontal tanks cost much more than vertical tanks.
Let's just say new horizontal costs $150. Say new vertical costs $50.
A new tank is certified for 12 years.
Let's say recertification costs $25 (I actually don't know if they charge more for to recert a horiz tank, but wouldn't think so)
When a tank is inspected and recertified, it is good for another 5 years.
Which is the better deal?

The new vertical tank costs $50/12yr = $4 per year
The recertified vertical tank costs $25/5yr = $5 per year ....so I would just buy a new vertical tank

The new horizontal tank costs $150/12yr = $13 per year
The recertified horizontal tank costs $25/5yr = $5 per year ....so I would recertify the horizontal tank

Another tidbit: 20# cylinders hold "about" 20lb of propane or 5 gallons, leaving 20% expansion space for safety.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Frank
They look... the last time I took mine to full and was told it will need to be re-certified next year. I don't go to a gas station to fill mine since it takes too long and the price is $.50 higher or more. I go to the Propane Gas supplier, remove the markup, and where the handful of employees are knowledgeable. my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom