Finally back on the road - Bend to Arizona

Low to mid 70's all week in NorCal if you are still seeking warmth. Maybe swing through santa rosa to get a growler of Pliney then head to the coast. Of course, only going to be in the 60's on the coast.

I spent a couple days in Patagonia, Arizona which is a nice little hippiefied town near the border. This sign sums it up:

gallery_2_23_110914.jpg

After that I went to Bisbee and I have spent most of the week there. Bisbee is my favorite mining town and is full of things to discover. I could post a hundred photos and go on all day about it but instead I'll just post a random selection. The wonders of Bisbee:

The Inn at Castle Rock is built on top of an old Indian Spring. The cafe at the hotel has a bar built around the spring.
gallery_2_23_159055.jpg

gallery_2_23_55502.jpg

View of Bisbee
gallery_2_23_11158.jpg

Bisbee Stairs
gallery_2_23_97131.jpg

Darn, I guess I won't be going to Bisbee any more. A Free Range Child is what I've got.

Boy, I was about that age and like that when I was last in Bisbee. I wonder if that's why the sign went up? :oops:

Looks like you're having a good trip DD!

DD,

The guy who hired me for my first base and precious metals exploration job, in 1976, was a Phelps Dodge guy who always spoke fondly of Bisbee, AZ and Tonopah, NV. I'm getting a good idea why. Thanks for the post and the pics.

Foy

Chiricahua National Monument was great. The campground was beautiful and quiet and the CCC era trail system was elaborate and incredible. Go CCC!

gallery_2_66_56733.jpg

gallery_2_66_198455.jpg

gallery_2_66_69924.jpg

gallery_2_66_196860.jpg

Cochise Stronghold:

gallery_2_23_220902.jpg

I find myself reluctant to leave southern Arizona as the weather has been great and I've really enjoyed my time here. So back to Patagonia. There is a lot of great primitive camping just outside Patagonia on the Hershaw road. And I love these big white trees:

gallery_2_23_151322.jpg

Chnlisles vacation cottage:

gallery_2_66_49653.jpg

I find myself reluctant to leave southern Arizona as the weather has been great...

Well, then don't return to Bend for a few days...another big (for us) snow tonight.
rolleyes.gif

Chiricahua National Monument was great. The campground was beautiful and quiet and the CCC era trail system was elaborate and incredible. Go CCC!

I also thought the trail system and campground in Chiricahua were great. By your photos I'm guessing you hiked the trail right from the CG up the canyon to strange rocks on top. Were they still rebuilding those CCC stone steps up high or was the trail work finished?

I also thought the trail system and campground in Chiricahua were great. By your photos I'm guessing you hiked the trail right from the CG up the canyon to strange rocks on top. Were they still rebuilding those CCC stone steps up high or was the trail work finished?

I hiked the trails around the visitor center on the first day then started from the top on the second day so I didnt do the whole trail from the visitor center up. I didn't see any trail work.

Camped near the Vulture Mine (Wickenberg)
gallery_2_23_154724.jpg

Vulture Mine
gallery_2_23_23326.jpg

After three weeks on the road it was time to return to reality and I headed back to Oregon. I'm already missing the fantastic AZ weather :sneaky:

Great stuff Aaron. Three weeks on the road! I can't imagine what that is like. That must be the reward you get for taking care of the gf after her surgery. Good for you.

For those of you interested in keeping up with my mining history work, please follow my WMH Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/westernmininghistory

Great stuff Aaron. Three weeks on the road! I can't imagine what that is like. That must be the reward you get for taking care of the gf after her surgery. Good for you.

:)
Boy DD, I spent 19 months in Az about a zillion years ago, when I was in the Army, and started to really like it there, had to volunteer for the war across the sea to get out, or I would have never left: what a trip, hopefully I'll be heading out soon myself, despite the wonderful spring weather here on the Eastern side!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom