Finch Shell on a Tacoma

Norman1974

Does anyone have a Finch Shell on a older Tacoma with a four cylinder? I have a base model Tacoma and looking for something very light to put on it. I see many pictures online of FWC on the Tacomas and wondered how well they handle the campers. I like the way the Finch is narrow and doesn't hang out the back of the truck.
If you have one what upgrades did you make to your Tacoma.

Norman :rolleyes:

Hi Norman,
The Tacoma is a very good truck and many FWC owners have them. You should be able to get by with that setup, but you will be seriously underpowered. The suspension will need to be improved to handle the weight of your camper and supplies. A good question you need to ask yourself is what do you plan or need to accomplish with this setup. The short answer is that "yes, it will work", but you will have limitations from your trucks capabilities.

I started with a Ranger that had a 4 cylinder and it got me to where I wanted to go, but it struggled. I also considered it dangerous when I was on the highway in 2nd gear on a climb and cars whized by me going 80! If I had to do it over, I would just buy a one ton truck and a Hawk and then you wont have to worry about power or space and going through the headache of trying to figure out the best supsension mods. Welcome!

Hi Norman,
The Tacoma is a very good truck and many FWC owners have them. You should be able to get by with that setup, but you will be seriously underpowered. The suspension will need to be improved to handle the weight of your camper and supplies. A good question you need to ask yourself is what do you plan or need to accomplish with this setup. The short answer is that "yes, it will work", but you will have limitations from your trucks capabilities.

I started with a Ranger that had a 4 cylinder and it got me to where I wanted to go, but it struggled. I also considered it dangerous when I was on the highway in 2nd gear on a climb and cars whized by me going 80! If I had to do it over, I would just buy a one ton truck and a Hawk and then you wont have to worry about power or space and going through the headache of trying to figure out the best supsension mods. Welcome!

Thanks for your reply. I think my main concern is how the truck will handle the Finch shell empty as a daily driver. I understand with supplies it will be slow. The empty shell campers are only a little over 500 pounds and I can't imagine that would overload the truck. I have hauled at least that much weight and it did not seem to struggle or have major problems stopping.
If the truck will handle the empty camper without struggling I would be very happy with it. I am sure the wind resistance will be a factor too.

Back
Top Bottom