Fire or Cloud?

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
In western Plumas County, satellite view from a few minutes ago:
Satellite View "Reno"
VIS1RNO_20120801-1.jpg

Kinda looks like the smoke plume of a fire -- a plume in Plumas, as it were... Anyone know?

Could just be a weird cloud, I guess...more alien spacecraft screwin' around again, possibly.

Two fires to south of us in Susanville; been real smoky, worst so far this year. The smoke combined with the heat, and wind makes it no fun here!

Smoke

Amazing how far that plume extends to the east...still. :eek:

VIS1RNO_20120802-1.jpg

...from a fire whose source isn't that broad.

It is dense and I hope it stays to the east. I am going to be llamapacking west of there in the Trinity Alps Wilderness next week.

I like that satellite page Mark. Thanks. It took me a while to search it out, but I found it. Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble sorting through the enormous amount of information to find what you are looking for on the NOAA site? Perhaps if I spoke their language it would help. :)

It is dense and I hope it stays to the east. I am going to be llamapacking west of there in the Trinity Alps Wilderness next week.

I like that satellite page Mark. Thanks. It took me a while to search it out, but I found it. Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble sorting through the enormous amount of information to find what you are looking for on the NOAA site? Perhaps if I spoke their language it would help. :)

You should have asked me, I would have posted it. :)
This (the parent image, not the Reno zoom-in) may be the oldest bookmark I have...from back before I owned a computer, when all my web surfing was on my work computer. :eek:
I agree that's it's not obvious how to find that satellite view from scratch.

You should have asked me, I would have posted it. :)
This (the parent image, not the Reno zoom-in) may be the oldest bookmark I have...from back before I owned a computer, when all my web surfing was on my work computer. :eek:
I agree that's it's not obvious how to find that satellite view from scratch.

Surfing the web is like a box or chocolates, right? I was almost lazy enough to ask without searching and I'm glad I didn't because I found several other informative and interesting sites on the way.

Another day of bad smoke and heat, with some wind thrown in:LOL:here in the flow of the "Chips" fire; really miserable here, if I wasn't waiting for a new toy in the mail, I'd be out of here. Eyes and nose running, can't talk, may be time for an early drink, some Olympic tv watching and then later on watch my Giants continue on their losing ways! Unhealthy weather leads to unhealthy attitudes!

Smoke:oops:

100_0696.jpg

Copy6of100_0685.jpg

Pretty country thats burning up. Glad they got the one by davis lake under control, that area has burned enough in the last few years.

Smoke, bummer about the conditions there. But if that is the view from your home then wow! It's nice to be on a hillside with a view like that. Hang in there, this is only temporary and will soon be over.

Smoke, bummer about the conditions there. But if that is the view from your home then wow! It's nice to be on a hillside with a view like that. Hang in there, this is only temporary and will soon be over.

As long as it's not here like in the 80's when the the fire (s) burned to the street above my house
; still got the red marks from the retardant bombings on my garage. But thanks, living on my hill is one of the reasons (many) why I stayed here all these years! :rolleyes:

Smoke

Smoke on the east side of the Sierra is very noticeable in the Carson City/Gardnerville/Carson Pass area this morning.

It seemed to be getting better here for a while, but I'm smelling an oil fire now, wonder what else is burning? Several days of this and a typical August here, if I wasn't waiting for a package in the mail, I'd be gone. I was just down town and they have fire map b/boards up in the two supermarket parking lots showing the fire(s). :( Fun.

Smoke

I see the fire-smoke plume is still going (but less) for the Chips fire in western Plumas Co., and there's a bigger smoke going in southeast Shasta Co., looks like near Mt. Lassen:

VIS1RNO_20120807-1.jpg

With the wind blowing that direction, SFC Smokecreek1 shouldn't be getting too much of it right now in Susanville...

(I've always thought it odd that Mt. Lassen is not in Lassen County but instead in Shasta County, and Mt. Shasta isn't in Shasta County but instead in Siskiyou County.
blink.gif

I guess that once they named the counties it was too hard to move the mountains...)

I can't find a listing on InciWeb for the one in SE Shasta county, the one NNW of the Chips fire...
huh.gif

Fires_20120807-1.jpg

Anyone know? Looks like it's sending a plume of smoke clear up to south-central Oregon, up around Hart Mt.

I talked to a friend in McCloud this morning and he said there's a fire at Hat Creek and Hwy 89 is closed. I'm heading up there in the morning so I hope they get it taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom