Firestone Airbag install F250, and shocks.

Barko1

I managed to install some bags on my 150 but am now going to put them on the F250 and ran into an stumbling black. To install the upper brackets it says to remove the rubber axle bumps which I have done but there is a remaining bracket that is held to the frame by 2 what seem to be large rivets. Nothing I can get a wrench on. It seems this bracket has to go and I'm stuck. My airbags are enroute, I am just getting ready and seeing if the would be any problems.:(

And that stupid rubber block was held on with a 15mm bolt?? And the shock low bolt was a 22mm? At least that is what fit best. Wanted to see if I could get all those loose before my shocks arrive. Any tips to make shock install easy?

To install the upper brackets it says to remove the rubber axle bumps which I have done but there is a remaining bracket that is held to the frame by 2 what seem to be large rivets.

When installing my front hitch, I found a pneumatic die grinder and tungsten carbide bur ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to my sanity.

Your mileage may vary, and be careful!

You're going to have to cut the rivet head off.

When installing my front hitch, I found a pneumatic die grinder and tungsten carbide bur ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to my sanity.

Your mileage may vary, and be careful!

Removing anything riveted to the frame is not going to be easy. Those rivets are pressed in. Even after you cut the head of the rivet off, it'll take some work to get the bracket off. You may have to drill the rivets out.

As for the shocks. They will probably be shipped with some kind of tape or strap keeping them in the compressed state. Leave that strap on until you're about half way through the install. Mount the end that that is hardest to reach first, then cut the strap. Expect the shock to extend at a constant, but controllable rate. Stear it into the other mounting point. You may need a large flat blade screw driver or other lever to get it in position so that you can get the bolt through it. Although you can compress a gas filled shock by hand and get it mounted if you cut the strap early, it's a lot easier to let it expand into the mounts, rather than compress it enough that you can get it into the mounts.

Thanks, I heard about the wire or whatever. They look pretty easy but I'll probably find a way to make it harder:rolleyes: When it gets all done I'll slap on some new 285's and be done.

It could be entirely different for your truck, but the Dodge mounts right to the bracket that you are discussing removing. I would verify that isn't the case for the Ford before you cut it off...

Yeah they want it off, at least the online instructions. When I get them in a coouple days I'll take another look. Hope you are right, that would make an easy install.

Airbags were delivered yesterday afternoon so I looked through everything and the bracket that I was concerned about turned out to be a non issue. This morning I started to take a whack at it and after a few issues using the farm jack I got smarter and used a big floor jacK I had and lifted the rear of the truck with the camper and then just used the camper jacks to lift it off the truck so there wouldn't be any extra weight on during the install. I'm not much of a mechanic but I managed to install these on a F150, the F250 kit is vastly more industrial but still the same process. The key is mounting the top bracket and once that is done and bolted in without drilling through gas lines or whatever the rest isn't a big deal. You have to align everything and the kits are somewhat universal so not perfect but with some tools and sweat it's not a bad deal. While I got it all jacked up I'll wait for the shocks to arrive and throw them on, shouldn't be a big deal. Edoharts advice should help, I'll install the top of the rear shocks first, cut the strap and hopefully pop them on the lower bracket. Thaks again for feedback.

I'm not much of a mechanic but I managed to install these on a F150, the F250 kit is vastly more industrial but still the same process. The key is mounting the top bracket and once that is done and bolted in without drilling through gas lines or whatever the rest isn't a big deal. You have to align everything and the kits are somewhat universal so not perfect but with some tools and sweat it's not a bad deal. While I got it all jacked up I'll wait for the shocks to arrive and throw them on, shouldn't be a big deal. Edoharts advice should help, I'll install the top of the rear shocks first, cut the strap and hopefully pop them on the lower bracket. Thaks again for feedback.

You are a mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom