First Avalanche Fatality of Season

Sorry about this fellows death, but I think that in addition to skills we review our critical thinking. Heading out in serious storm conditions can be really non habit forming. I think back to some of the stunts I pulled in the backcountry, and I'm thankful to be here. When I took an Avalanche Awareness course taught by the USFS, I got a serious wake up.

I had read that article and it kind of hit me. The guy had experience, but was solo-ing. Like WS, I think back over all the times I was taking risks and I am thankful too. Like Ski is promoting here; let's make this a learning moment. :sneaky:

Here is a detailed report of the slide
http://www.esavalanche.org/content/meysan-lake-avalanche-1

It can be easy to under estimate the amount of snow and conditions early season especially when a lot of rocks are still exposed. In the photos there are a lot of exposed rocks which many people might assume means a well anchored snow pack. I have found myself (and my buddies) underestimating early season conditions before. Articles like this definitely makes you slow down and think.

ski3pin said:
Kolochum, thank you the link and comments. I found some more details in this report -

avalanche.org

Keeping up with the trends in the snowpack has become an early morning ritual -

Sierra Avalanche Center
Just checked SAC this morning, as I'm headed out for a morning at the resort. SugarBowl here I come!
Last year I donated to SAC, and need to re-up my support for their excellent reporting on backcountry avy conditions.

Lighthawk said:
Just checked SAC this morning, as I'm headed out for a morning at the resort. SugarBowl here I come!
Last year I donated to SAC, and need to re-up my support for their excellent reporting on backcountry avy conditions.
My local avalanche forecast is Northwest Avalanche Center (NWAC) and they cover the Olympic Mountain Range, Cascade Mountain Range and Pacific Northwest Volcanoes. I do everything I can to support them. I have noticed in the last several years that all of the separate avalanche centers have really come together and standardized condition/accident report formats and general information sharing.

I saw there was another Avalanche death this weekend. A snowmobile rider in Montana. Several people were involved, but only one death. All involved were experienced and had locator beacons.

Back
Top Bottom