First Gen Tundra suspension upgrade

la_morris

Advanced Member
I just bought a 2003 Tundra 4WD with 78,000 mi and have ordered a FWC Fleet shell with some options. While waiting for delivery, I want to get the truck ready for it. After reading through the posts on suspension upgrades for the Tundra from a number of years ago, I still have some questions. To begin with, I know very little about cars and trucks, so even understanding all the advice posted can be a challenge. It sounds as if everyone agrees that airbags are an essential suspension upgrade. Then, some people believe that the shocks need to be upgraded also. Finally, some recommend leaf springs also. And E tires. and sway bars. I'm lost after shocks.

So, I know I need air bags. Does the purchase of new shocks depend on the condition of the original ones or do the shocks need to be a different kind? I don't really understand what leaf springs or a sway bar are. The camper will be loaded on the truck, most, if not all, of the time. The tires I have are just standard truck tires, but appear new, so I'd like to wait to replace them. What do you all recommend for shocks and leaf springs? Or can you point me to some sources so that I can try to understand these components?

I've been working on getting a truck camper for over a year and the WTW forums have been invaluable throughout the process. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Leslie

Leslie welcome to the group. I also have a "used" 02 Tundra AC 4X4 TRD.
First you should at least have Truck tires. My truck came to me with a new set of Goodyear Wrangler "C" rated
LT 265 75 R16s.
My bobcat is on all the time .I did add air bags.For my use I felt that was all the mods I needed. So far after me putting 27K
miles on the truck I feel satisfied in what I have.
The previous truck,Ford Ranger 2X2 that carried the Bobcat, I added "supersprings" worked well but I like the air bags better.
Nice thing about them is that you can adjust the air to fit the needs.
Stay tuned and there will be lots of info coming.
Good luck and enjoy the ride/camper.
Frank

I have a 2005 4x4 Regular cab long bed Tundra with a Four Wheel Pop Up Grandby on it. I went with Fox 2.0 front struts in the front, Removed the overload leaf springs and put in an Icon AAL mini pack and firestone air bags in the rear with the Daystar cradles to articulate better on the dirt. I did this to fit 265/75 r16 E rated Cooper St Maxx tires. Nothing rubs and it has been working great for me. I need to order the Fox rear shocks still.

I have an'04 put total chaos upper A arms,rebuildable coilovers, up front. Deaver springs at the back with firestone airbags and BFG's down below on bilsteins. Change the lower ball joints on all 1st gen tundras it's ugly when they fail! Good articulation even with camper on it will walk over rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Welcome. We have a 2005 Tundra, bought used also. Carry an Ocelot and don't drive rough 4WD roads, but lot's of gravel and moderately rough two tracks. Put Firestone Airbags on with stock suspension. Will be adding a sway bar, but so far, don't feel the need to have additional. Do put E rated tires on if you want to be able to roll on rougher roads with confidence about your tires. Good luck and keep asking questions. We all love to carry on!

My experience so far:

I have a 2001 access cab v-8 4x4 tundra with a 1985 Fleet (about 900 lbs).

You will want some sort of suspension enhancement to help with the additional weight. I have 'aircell' bumpers. Similar to 'timbrens'. Cheaper than airbags, maintenance free. Non adjustable. You could go with airbags (more $, adjustable) or get a set of new leaf springs made for the rear that are designed for additional weight ($$, stiff ride when without camper, very durable, maintenance free). Some people use a combination of new leaf springs AND airbags.

Shocks: the originals on the truck may be a bit worn out. I replaced with Bilstein shocks that are similar to what my truck came with. It's been working fine. There are all sorts of fancy shocks you can buy, some adjustable, that may or may not improve your ride much. I have no experience with them.

Sway bar: this is an aftermarket part that bolts to the rear axle and frame on each side. A popular brand is hellwig. I drove my setup without the sway bar for a while and then installed one. It does improve the handling of the truck. It makes the rear end more unified and steering feels sharper and overall it gives a feeling of being more precise and in control with the additional weight you will be carrying around. It will change the ability of your rear axle to articulate (adjust to very uneven surfaces when off-road), so if that is important to you, a sway bar might not make sense.

Tires: they are rated for the amount of load they can safely carry. C rated is what the truck came with when new and will have a "p" on the sidewall before the size. E rated is a beefier tire. It will have a size with "LT" on the sidewall. I drove my truck with both and the e rated tires definitely felt sturdier. I would try to get some.

Sounds like you found a nice, low-milage truck....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wander The West mobile app

I put super springs on my 06 ac cab, they worked well except for the occasional hard(read extreme) bump. We are not minimalist campers so we carry a fairly heavy load. If I had to do it again, I would get replacement H.D. spring packs. I'm not a fan of air bags that can fail in inconvenient places/times, although there are people here that use them and are quite happy with them. I would replace shocks with H.D. units, if yours are original they are most likely about done with 78k on them. If your light loaded, c load range tires will work, replaced when needed with E rated, you be happier with the performance. By the way Tundra is in retirement now since we picked up a f250.

I've also got a 2003 Tundra, which I've owned for about 10 years. I ordered my FWC Fleet about a month ago. Should be ready about mid September. I put on E rated tires a couple of weeks ago and the ride is already much improved. The airbags are still in the box but they'll go on next week.

I've got a Fleet on my Tacoma. Got Old Man Emu full heavy duty suspension and E-rated tires. Good stuff!
I'm adding airbags because I carry my little dual-sport motorcycle on the back and want a bit more assistance.

I still have my '03 Tundra Limited 4x4. I had a FWC Hawk shell for awhile and with options and my gear weighed in @ 1400lbs. Max'd the GVW ! First, I installed E rated BFG AT's, Blistein 5100 shocks and Air Bags with cradles. Blew a bag and shock and I drive very conservatively. That left me limping for repairs and weighting for parts. Couple of tire shops said they couldn't help me. Lucky I was only 60 miles away from a 4x4 repair garage. I had these installed... http://www.activesuspension.com . I will never put air bags on a vehicle used off road again. Too bouncy and too fragile. If I only knew then what I know now. Well, right now I'm waiting for the new 2017 F250 before ordering a new popup. Just got back from a Colorado / Hallmark tour and an Alaskan Camper tour is is the near future. Good Luck !

Back
Top Bottom