First Real Mods: a sink

brett13

Lovecock
First a disclaimer: I am not experienced with carpentry, cabinetry, plumbing- or basically anything handy. Many of you may remember the camper dolly I built, aka "the tank" which was just slightly overbuilt. So knowing that, please enjoy my winter project without laughing: adding a sink cabinet with power sink, storage and an extra removable seat.

Why did I add a sink? We really liked the idea of having some countertop space and a sink, but I opted for the narrower Bobcat and thought the full length counter might cramp us. So for a season, we went without, having just the furnace cabinet in the corner. I figured it could be added later, of course it was a little outside my skill level which I didn't count on.

Anyway, we decided just a small sink cabinet would give us what we wanted, leaving room to do other things. As you'll see later, I expanded the "step" into a storage space, so now we have either seating over storage or a shelf over storage. The extra 6" of width makes the space all the more useful.

I started with this idea:
sinkcab.jpg

The seat under the window is removable- it just sits on two 1x1 rails. I'm working on getting a cushion for it.

Sink works with no problems so far. I hope to take it on a shakedown cruise next weekend if the weather cooperates.

If I were more knowledgable, I would have moved the electrical connects out from under the new cabinet along with the thermostat, but for now I wanted to keep it simple. I can still remove the sink and countertop (screwed down) to access things, although it is a PITA.

And yes, I put the fill door on the inside (rt side of cabinet) only because I couldn't bring myself to cut a hole that big in the side of the camper.

I need to thank Ben for sending me materials and providing a lot of tips, tricks and know-how. He can fix my mistakes when I bring it in for a refurb in 10 years ;-).

Brett, that looks like it was factory installed. Very nice job. Having a sink makes cooking and cleaning so much easier.

Cheers,

Mike

Very nicely done... I have all my thoughts spinning in my head for mods... great ideas on this board!

Kyle, You're right about the great ideas on this board. A mod I think you'd love is the slide out bed extension. It gives you a king sized bed so you dont have to crawl over each other to get up in the middle of the night. I had mine done by ATC but you could probably DIY. If you want to see how it was done you're welcome to come over and look at mine.

Brett,

I also think the work looks great, a little self edge on the countertop and you've got it. The edging isn't tough to install, at the factory they likely use a router to cut the groove for attaching it. When I reshaped the factory table I just cut the groove on a table saw, pounded the "t" on the edging in the groove and trimmed off a little rubber top and bottom. I'm sure Ben can supply the edging. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. DLN, I forgot about the edging before I took the pics. I picked up some white melamine edging that irons on. The counter top looks finished now. If only the weather would let me go use it!

Excellent Brett. If the iron on doesn't hold up you can always install the factory rubber edging later. I think most of us are just waiting for the weather to change. This next month always seem to drag by for us though we still have 4 to 6 weeks of skiing left to keep us occupied.

Back
Top Bottom