First time out (loves and hates)

pignpotato

First Id like to say thanks to all the WTW forums I have learned so much from reading your posts.
Just took my new (to us) '05 Hawk out for a weekend camp. Over all I the camper is great. but...I can't stand the bench seat back. Its in the way and I want to get rid of it. I also want to ditch the table. Does anyone know where I can sell/give these items I hate to waste?
I also think that bins or drawers under the bench seat would be more convienient. I see the L brackets inside the front panel its probably glued also right? Im thinking I can jig saw some holes and reinforce.
Ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome PnP,
I'm sure you could place your table in the classifieds on this site, somebody will eventually come along that wants it. I should do the same with mine as I never use it.

My L brackets are screwed in on my 03 Hawk, I did have a problem with them rattling loose when off road so I took 'em all out and siliconed them, so far so good.

Drawers and bins under the bench seat? Sounds like a project people might be interested in. I've found a milk crate fits perfectly under mine for the smaller items (propane canisters, lantern, axe, etc.).

Keep us posted on your progress and congrats on the new Hawk.

PnP,

Welcome aboard. The mods you are considering are easily done, you'll find the cabinets etc. come apart with little effort. To create drawers or bins under the coach I'd remove the front panel from the camper so you can get cleaner more accurate cuts. Keep us posted and don't forget the pictures.

I've been thinking about the same thing with my couch back. Just figured out today how to compensate for taking the back out, but I'm also going to take out the cushions. I'm going to replace them with a cushion/seat. They lie flat or you bend them up to have a seat with backrest. I just have one with me now (on a trip), but two will replace the stock cushions and provide two reclining seats. I'll post pictures when I can, probably a week. I purchased mine at West Marine.

Chucking the couch

My wife and I had our second outing with our new Grandby last weekend and we also want to chuck the couch. The small motorhome we had a few years back had a dinette and that was our favorite place in it; sitting, facing each other, over the table. I think I could convert the couch into two seats facing each other and cut down the FWC table to fit between. Perhaps I'll make a drawing and submit it to this august body for consideration.

Regarding drawers under the bench. The problem I see is the space lost to the drawer mechanism. Storage is at such a premium in these things that every inch is precious.

Back
Top Bottom