First Trip/Maiden Voyage - Where was it?

Cayuse

Seeing people talk about picking up a new new to them camper and going out on their first trip with it got me wondering where others have gone on with their campers for that first night or nights?

For me it was a climbing trip to Trail Lake Coulee a little south of Coulee City, WA. Spent a couple of nights. Unfortunately any pictures I have of the area are on a hard drive that I don't have access to at present but will probably return there at some point this winter for a weekend of camping and climbing.

My first actual trip-I took it to the office, popped the top and an held and open house for the gang at BLM. The next week I headed over to Manchester State Park on the California coast for two weeks. Yep, that was some adventure, I had to call the FWC plant to ask them why the 3 way frig was getting warm and not keeping my beer cold (forgot to flip the fan switch below it to the on position--- the first of the many "learning curve" experiences I have undergone over the years :p ). I also knocked the therm. switch off the wall as I tried to move that little table to a new position in the back of the camper-something i seemed to do a lot over the years. That was almost ten years ago and I'm still learning.

Smoke

Well, let's see. I drove from the ATC shop to San Francisco where I stayed with my son for a couple of days. Then down the coast to Pasa Robles to visit a cousin. Then to Salt Lake City by way of the Rye Creek Reservoir to pick up my spouse from a volleyball tournament, then home to Minnesota via the Big Horns and other sights. I forgot to fill the propane tank so we ended up cold in the mountains for our first night together in the camper. We were fine in our sleeping bags but the dog was shivering. Fixed that in a town along the way the next day. 3 short years ago and it seems like 10. We've had a lot of fun since.

Our first trip,in the ATC Bobcat was down the coast to San Simeon SP for a quick 2 niter late winter.Lost of high surf pounding and the elephant seals around.
Our first big trip was to Yellowstone late spring for a couple weeks.Lots of great animals.Glad to have the heater as the mornings were still cold.
After 6 years/2 trucks/same camper/over 42,000 miles on the camper still a great time with loads on memories.
Ready for the next adventure.
Happy camping.
Frank

We picked our Grandby up on December 21st and the first night was in Cottonwood campground in Joshua Tree NP on the 26th. We spent the next 9 days exploring the Mule Mountain / Houser Geode Bed area with a night in the Cornsprings campground.

First trip in our used 2002 Hawk was north coast of CA. Knew nothing about campers and ran the 3 way on 12v driving up. Camper battery just about dead when we got to Fort Bragg. Bought a cheap VOM at Napa Auto. Traced and found a broken broken socket in the camper plug. Crimped wires together and got the truck charging the battery, put the 3 way on propane. Had the short cabover so only 2" foam to sleep on. Damn what were we thinking, I have sleep on softer concrete. The next morning told the wife we needed to buy air mattress or to head home. She suggested leaving the two 2" pads one on top of each other and using the 4" cushion from the seats in the pull out area of the bed. Worked and we continued our trip.

First trip in the 2013 Hawk after the inside build was much better. Went to Pinnacles NP and Monterey Veterans Park.

Yet to be determined. Picking up new Hawk in Woodland this week. Also picking up some ideas from all of you. Manchester appears fairly close to Woodland for shake down trip. Is it difficult to find space this time of year? Any other suggestions much appreciated. Mostly like to avoid camp grounds.
Thanks, daygreeter

SCAROLINAHAWK said:
Yet to be determined. Picking up new Hawk in Woodland this week. Also picking up some ideas from all of you. Manchester appears fairly close to Woodland for shake down trip. Is it difficult to find space this time of year? Any other suggestions much appreciated. Mostly like to avoid camp grounds.
Thanks, daygreeter
I stopped by Manchester during late summer 2 years ago and found it just about empty.Not sure how much use it actually gets.
There are some sites near the trees that should give some wind protection. We didn't stay there just checking it out for future use.
Nice beach with very few people.
Give it a try.Some of the other beach campgrounds I don't think are open,or get a lot of use.
Have fun with your new camper.
Frank

Thanks Frank,
We plan to camp a few nights not to far from Woodland to deal with any bugs.
Then we will be out for 3 months before heading back East.
Will relate the maiden voyage.
daygreeter

We just checked on Manchester. The website stated the campground was open only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until 6 Sept 2015. Is it now closed?

I got mine from AT in Prescott almost exactly a year ago and first couple of nights were at Zion.

IMG_0370.jpg

10253747_10204660021798148_4038012756685711593_n.jpg

Picked up our Rockwood A127TH in Wilmington, NC on May 30, 2014, and less than a week later took it to Hot Springs, NC for a weekend. Campsite pictured here is from another trip to the same campground but shows the fully shaded nature of the riverside sites along the French Broad River.

As of the present, we've spent some 30 nights on board, including 18 out of 20 nights on the road trip to Montana and Wyoming in July/August 2015. Just returned from another weekend trip to Hot Springs and now a winterization exercise is on the to-do list for the upcoming weekend.

Foy

Spent the day after buying my FWC Hawk exploring the Mojave Preserve, and camped at Hole in the Wall campground.

1024151748.jpg

Second trip out is planned for this weekend - taking our 5 month old son camping for the first time, along with a couple of other new parents.

Ski, enjoyed reading your first trip. Below may be the biggest under statement ever on WTW.

"It was a great inaugural trip and we hope for many adventures to follow."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.51.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.51.37 AM.png
    475 KB · Views: 98
Ours "first trip" was just two weeks ago when we picked up our Flatbed Hawk in Jackson Hole. Pretty much had to scoot for home but did camp in Flaming Gorge and Colorado National Monument.

Now we a few days into a long planned 3 week trip to Thailand and Japan and all I can think about is getting back to our new Hawk and wandering the West! Go figger!

Steve

nMExHU57xsfIz8rfMDmEdPAq8KF1JpSGkmbz6_2ADvCHrtIYsswXogTq6GBezENi2thvX2ng6_uR1YJEkA8ATSykxJCJJjAdyh6vJikvME6zWEBLI2HIbAciNQVXLc5eR-0I90m6-9GTjaV4Y4TqIoixseKcOfzmxI3hzCbBR74caieTtcLDvdouAh7PRE0IG1hYaSRf4exejBvy3GeuvfYInTD5-VdfiaskHOFWlm_LAjewrZYfCYm8P_MQYOS4Fu8EQ-_7pZikflizWKFoM25beG_X3lnhIzAYxQj-aSGrmZH1_Ffv9HCpTZNbbjlIwykV8DnL5oD0jilRA6bbZyqPM5z9B6g1pbVWG0dzX2y9z4P9vOxzsB3bbM-yaFuFCIRjBkd1-Jl98sIssYx6Ypsed4b2B9a03k3iSDNuouKe0qpYHCmRIujteQY-awFk_JV1RKuJzytI-5kO99sgmD04KnzW9nSw-LlQsqG13Aprf6VRXWhAo0SKKs_KYFivnN4jI40era1xDh3Q4akBYR8xA00u-c-sV3SihULwmA2e=w1134-h850-no

Back
Top Bottom