First Trip with New ATC Ocelot Shell

mynxd

Advanced Member
I will be pe picking up my camper on June 6th from ATC, and will head to Reno for the evening. Following this, I plan to head south into the Sierra's (Yosemite is the furthest south), and plan to head north into Oregon on my way home to BC. I need to be home by June 20th. Suggestions for places to visit, stay, hike, would be very welcome.

I have been visiting this site frequently during the past six months, and really enjoyed the suggestions, tips, and experience shared by the members.

Grant

Where in Reno are you thinking your first night will be? There isn't much camping there. If you are doing a hotel or friends, no problem. But if you want to camp, Washoe Lake about a half hour south of Reno is a decent campground that we use as a quick getaway.

Congrats, Grant and welcome to the club! :)

So, you're heading to Reno, then south to the Sierra (that's a singular, not plural :) ). Since you're familiar, you must know 395 is a wonderful drive. We often visit Travertine or Buckeye Hot Springs near Bridgeport, but usually during off hours. From there you can head towards the Bodie Hills, Twin Lakes (good access to hike Robinson Creek / Horse Creek and approach the Sawtooths). In Lee Vining the Mono Lake Committee has a cool photo gallery, informational display. Go slow through these towns, there's more than meets the eye from behind the wheel.

We also have had good fun driving into Nevada toward Yerington and around the backside of the Bodie Hills, past the Flying-M Ranch of Hilton Fame. Don't know if you prefer desert or mountain.

We also like the Benton area, aka Volcanic Tablelands for petroglyphs and backroads. You could do a loop around the east side of Mono Lake to access this area. Mono Lake is worth checking out, up close.

Also, check out the latest from Ski3pin about the Sweetwater Range, slightly north of Bridgeport.

Ted, I will be hotelling. I expect it to be a long day, as the rear window will be replaced with a slider before the camper is installed.

Congratulations!

And welcome to WTW. Remember, when you get your camper, we like pictures. :)

x2

Have a safe trip, enjoy your new camper, and post up a report. :D

As mentioned; Buckeye and Travertine Hot Springs are great and your best opportunity for privacy is before 9am on weekdays. If you're camping in the area, it's nice to get up, make coffee, and head over to start the day with a good soak. Same goes for any of the Long Valley Caldera springs. Tons of tubs out there and plenty of room to stretch out (free) for a few days. Just camp a ways away from the springs if you're staying overnight.

Green Creek has a lot of good camping spots, as well as dispersed sites along Virginia Creek NFS 139 (I personally prefer these to Green Creek.) A nice, quiet pay camping option is Obsidian CG (I think it was $7 last time I was there.) It's toward the end of little walker rd. going up towards Emma Lk; about 10 miles from Sonora Jct.

Heading North out of CA, 395/44/89 route is good out to I-5 and then cut back over east and up thru Crater Lake via hwy 97 from Weed. I really love the Lassen area and the Hat Creek Rim, lots of camping and exploring opportunities here as well. And I don't want to forget to mention Subway Cave - very ancient and interesting.

Although I know there are a lot of Modoc County area fans on this site; that's more of a personal preference thing so YMMV. Lots of cool stuff out that way too - Medicine Lake, Warner Mts, Lava Beds, etc. I think someone on here was a ranger or surveyor out that way and can probably provide all the detail you want if you decide to go that route. I've only been a couple times myself.

Yosemite is a whole nother thread, but the north park is definitely where I like to stick to. If you're pressed for time, Lembert Dome is a quick easy hike and has killer views of the Cathedral range and all of tuolomne meadows and beyond. Be prepared for any weather. I've been snowed on every month of the year in the north park. Several inches (enough to close the road even in Aug) is not all that uncommon. It's pushing 10K ft.

And congrats on the new camper!!

Lembert Dome is a quick easy hike and has killer views of the Cathedral range and all of tuolomne meadows and beyond. It's pushing 10K ft.

x2

Back
Top Bottom