Fishing

Gormley Green

Contributors
During the shoulder season here I've kind of hung up my mountain bike and turned to fishing to fill in the gap until snowboard season. I love fishing the fall and we're having a fantastic year for salmon, especially chum. Already hugely better than last, which is nice. The bald eagles are showing up en mass daily.

Anyways, thought I'd share a photo of a nice male and female chum I got yesterday. I dont usually get fish photos but i was with some unlucky friends so they had cameras ready.

Anyone else want to share? Fishing stories (lies) are ok too, if they are well written!

smugshot_7126770-L.jpg

Sure...

The smallest fish I have ever caught.

BCTCNR6.jpg

10 minutes of fighting, and he pulled me at least 10,000 centermeters (I was in my kayak).

Catch 'n release, of course. Maybe I'll get to play with him again in a few years.

Mr.Green enjoyed seeing your fish.Just a few random photos taken over the past 5 or so years.
Arctic Grayling at Denali. Caught a bunch of them,not many places there to fish.Most of the streams are clouded with glacial sediment.

Didn't catch these Coho at Lake Tahoe,but if anyone has the chance to be there in Oct.they run up the stream from L.Tahoe to Fallen Leaf Lake.They are a beautiful sight to see along with the bears that eat them.

Speaking of bears,this guy was my fishing partner a couple years ago on the Quinsam river at the Elk Falls campground,on Vancouver Island.This river flows into the Campbell river.We had camped there in Sept and the Pinks were running.I had a great time catching some and also the trout that were in the same stream.Sorry no pictures.It was hard enough watching my back with the bear and than a tree came crashing down into the stream near me and floated by.

This year along the north shore of Lake Superior.I am told these salmon are pinks,don't know someone correct me if I am wrong,but this was a nice male.

Every fall I make a trip or two to Heenan Lake on the east side of the Sierras this Lahoaton cutthroat was a nice catch.

Most of the places we camp I try to plan around some fishing.I really enjoy catching the trout on my 4 weight bamboo fly rod,and just standing there in a stream watching nature sure is great.Like fishing the Firehole in Yellowstone in the snow listening to the elk bugle.Doesn't get much better.
Happy fishing.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0148.jpg
    DSCN0148.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN2129.jpg
    DSCN2129.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN2131.jpg
    DSCN2131.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3138.jpg
    DSCN3138.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4435.jpg
    DSCN4435.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 67
  • markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 005.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 62
Two Lahoaton cutts from this Oct at Heeanen Lake.Both about 22".This lake is a fun place to fish.If you are in the area during Sept/Oct week ends give it a try.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4449.jpg
    DSCN4449.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN4452.jpg
    DSCN4452.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 80
Frank - those top look like sockeye to me. And yes that is definitely a pink. I had no idea they were in Superior. Now I learned something today, so thanks!

Frank - those top look like sockeye to me. And yes that is definitely a pink. I had no idea they were in Superior. Now I learned something today, so thanks!

The fish from Tahoe are small about 14" to 18" long.Are coho the same as sockeye?At any rate they sure are beautiful fish.
This was my first time to Superior and I had no idea either.
Frank

They are different species. Sockeye that are landlocked are called Kokanee and are quite a bit smaller. I'm pretty certain that is what is in Tahoe. They are great photos and it's amazing to see that many fish in a stream at once.

Regarding salmon in Lake Superior: this is from the MN DNR: Salmon

Kokanee have been introduced to a few lakes in northern NM. I've never fished for them. I guess I should get out there, but all I have is a 5-weight rod. What do I need to go after Kokanee?

I don't think you'd be outgunned with a 5 weight at all, they are, as far as I know, fairly light fish.

Edit: very cool vid about NM Kokanee. Quite an effort!

I don't think you'd be outgunned with a 5 weight at all, they are, as far as I know, fairly light fish. Tricky to fish for as they feed on plankton. In Alaska they snag ("floss") them during the fall spawn as they don't really take flies and with their numbers it's quite easy. Same would probably apply to Kokanee.

Thanks, Gormley.I just checked the NM fishing regulations. Snagging is legal during the spawn. Otherwise, red patterns seem to be effective - eggs, San Juan worms, Copper Johns.

They are different species. Sockeye that are landlocked are called Kokanee and are quite a bit smaller. I'm pretty certain that is what is in Tahoe. They are great photos and it's amazing to see that many fish in a stream at once.

Thanks for the info.The stream only flows about a mile or so from lake to lake.We got to see them a few years ago.A good place to see them is at the bridge where hwy 89 crosses the stream,there is also a bike/walking path there and the fish "school"up before heading up the few rapids into Fallen Leaf lake.Haven't tried to fish there,haven't checked the regs.
Where do you fish for your salmon in BC?
Frank

Right now I'm lucky enough to put my waders on at home and walk about 4 minutes to the Squamish River to fish. The chum are running thick with some chrome coho mixed in and the odd resident and sea-run bull trout. I feel pretty fortunate every time I suit up!

Here's the scenery on the Squamish just behind my house, and Lizzy with a fish on (and some very unusual weather :LOL: )

smugshot_3311170-L.jpg

And a nice sea-run bull trout

smugshot_5823017-L.jpg

Very nice Mr. Green.I have to travel hours for my "Home" waters and than not many fish,but as I have said to me it's about as much the fun just being out there.But it doesn't hurt to get a fish once in a while.
Frank

What great photo's ! Make me feel like heading for some water and wetting a line.

WOW !

You have some great fishing spots up there.

Here in the City, our secret fishing holes just aren't the same.

:)

Attachments

• Stan Fishing.jpg
    Stan Fishing.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 81
WOW !

You have some great fishing spots up there.

Here in the City, our secret fishing holes just aren't the same.

:)

Stan,with any luck the government won't get to your fishing spot to fix it for a while.So you will still be able to fish there.What kind of fish do you suppose live in those waters?
Frank

Back
Top Bottom